Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Basic question on VoIP

Basic question on VoIP

Stephane M

Hello,

I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
with my communication. (Not really suprising ...

- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
downloading at the same time on the network ??

Ta.

Stephan

Davew

Stephane M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
> phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
> with my communication. (Not really suprising ...
>
> - Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
> - Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
> downloading at the same time on the network ??
>
> Ta.
>
> Stephan

I used to be on 512k and upgraded to 1mb and found it to be better.
Sometimes when i was on 512 people would tell me that there was 'blips'.
I found that these blips was when my email application was
autochecking for new mail.

However, in order to really answer your question - what are you using
for VOIP?

Paul D.Smith

"Stephane M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dbi74s$mgl$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
> phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
> with my communication. (Not really suprising ...
>
> - Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?

No. Given more bandwidth, your download will be faster but will probably
still swamp out the VoIP call.

> - Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
> downloading at the same time on the network ??

Maybe.

The issue is that VoIP requires a certain bandwidth but without anything
stopping it, other things such as downloads grab all the badnwidth leaving
the VoIP call starved. You can reconfigure your network (if its not
already) like this...

Internet--- ADSL --- VoIP ATA --- Router/Switch/Hub -- Computer

+-- phone

However, this is still not 100% safe since this will protect the route up
from ATA to internet and might not help with the downstream. However its
possible that the ATA may also slow the downlink by acknowledging TCP
packets more slowly than it would otherwise - I'm no TCP algorithm expert
though.

For "real" VoIP installations, people create VoIP backbones with proper
Quality of Service (QoS) set up to protect the voice from the data. You can
do the same by stopping downloads whilst your on the phone.

Of course this all assumes that the ISP doesn't swamp your VoIP data
either - and you have no control on this.

Paul DS

Chris Blunt

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:38:48 +0100, "Stephane M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
>phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
>with my communication. (Not really suprising ...
>
>- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
>- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
>downloading at the same time on the network ??

There is a trick, and the trick is known as QoS (Quality of Service).

QoS is a facility available on some routers and it provides a method
of giving your VoIP traffic higher priority than other connections so
as to reduce the delays to it which result in interruptions to the
voice signal. If you are doing a download at the same time as making a
voice call, the download will be throttled back as necessary to
maintain sufficient bandwidth for the voice traffic.

You might want to check out this list of routers which are reported to
support QoS.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers

Chris

r_mervart

"Chris Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:38:48 +0100, "Stephane M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have a slow ADSL... (512kb/s) however, I can see that if I make a VoIP
> >phone call AND if I download a file at the same time, I have some trouble
> >with my communication. (Not really suprising ...
> >
> >- Do you think that this desappear with quicker broadband ?
> >- Or is there a trick to keep a good communication when somebody else is
> >downloading at the same time on the network ??

> There is a trick, and the trick is known as QoS (Quality of Service).
>
> QoS is a facility available on some routers and it provides a method
> of giving your VoIP traffic higher priority than other connections so
> as to reduce the delays to it which result in interruptions to the
> voice signal. If you are doing a download at the same time as making a
> voice call, the download will be throttled back as necessary to
> maintain sufficient bandwidth for the voice traffic.
>
> You might want to check out this list of routers which are reported to
> support QoS.
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers

bewildering selection
Roman

Martin²

>> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers
>>

>Roman:
>bewildering selection

And its not even up to date / complete.
Zyxel 2602HW has 2 VoiP ports and QoS and the HWL version has pass-through
to the POTS line too.
Regards,
Martin

r_mervart

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42dd970d$0$2868$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e=VOIP+Routers
> >>

> >Roman:
> >bewildering selection

> And its not even up to date / complete.
> Zyxel 2602HW has 2 VoiP ports and QoS and the HWL version has pass-through
> to the POTS line too.
> Regards,
> Martin

I am reading this group because I am trying to establish whether my son, who
is setting up a (very) small business venture, could possibly save some
money using VoIP compared to standard BT landline but have a reliable
service with comparable voice quality without getting bogged down with
technicalities. He will have broadband connection. All he needs, at least to
start with, is an equivalent to a single BT line with basic facilities, such
as answerphone and call divert, a local (London) number plus possibly 0845
or 0870 number. However, the service needs to be reliable and there should
not be any noticeable blips or other manifestations of problems with other
activity on the broadband connection. I think if the voice comms would take
priority in such a way that stopping of downloads would be done
automatically without need for human to intervene that could be acceptable.
Roman

Martin²

Roman:
>mall business venture, could possibly save some
>money using VoIP compared to standard BT landline but have a reliable
>service with comparable voice quality

Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
Voiphone,
but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

>I think if the voice comms would take
>priority in such a way that stopping of downloads would be done
>automatically

For that you need a router with QoS (quality of service) such as Zyxel 2602
HW / HWL or Draytek 2500V / 2600V / VG. But you need to set the QoS
parameters, not as simple as it should be, especially on the Draytek.
Regards,
Martin

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:20:12 +0100, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
>Voiphone,
>but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

Vonage does NOT charge rental they charge 9.99 a month inclusive of
VAT and ALL calls to geographical numbers in the whole of the UK
and ALL of Ireland . What is BT charging for their all calls package
is it twenty eight quid a month or something and that only includes
calls to northern Ireland not the south !!.

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:20:12 +0100, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Reputedly you get reliable service from Gradwell, Vonage and perhaps
>>Voiphone,
>>but they all charge rental, which rather limits any savings.

> Vonage does NOT charge rental they charge 9.99 a month inclusive of
> VAT and ALL calls to geographical numbers in the whole of the UK
> and ALL of Ireland . What is BT charging for their all calls package
> is it twenty eight quid a month or something and that only includes
> calls to northern Ireland not the south !!.

If it's a charge payable every month regardless of how much or how little
you use it, then in my book it's rental. I can't have the service without
paying it, so as far as I'm concerned it's rental by another name.

As I told you before, I'd struggle to make £9.99 of calls in a year, never
mind a month..! Most of my calls are to mobiles, so I use the mobile for
that, or Sipgate users, which are free anyway, so what I'd do with a
tenner's worth of calls to landlines in a month I have no idea..!

Ivor