Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fritz!Box Fon anyone?

Fritz!Box Fon anyone?

Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:48 +0200, Philippe Deleye
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany
> it
> is.
> Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
> see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie
>
> in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
> adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

Thanks Philippe. I guess Henry's post may have hit the nail on the head.
If Germany and the UK are using different codecs, it could explain why
Germans are happy and I am not.

I shall do some more research into this.

Regards
Alan.

Ivor Jones

"Alan Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newspstri5kh3a48l90@office...
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:06:48 +0200, Philippe Deleye
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Indeed, the Fritz!Box is not a favourite in the UK. However, in Germany
>> it
>> is.
>> Every 2dn treat in the german Voip newsgroup is about this device
>> see: news:://de.comm.internet.telefonie
>>
>> in Germany most of the users are very happy with this allround device:
>> adsl modem + router + ISDN PBX + Voip gateway in one

> Thanks Philippe. I guess Henry's post may have hit the nail on the
> head. If Germany and the UK are using different codecs, it could
> explain why Germans are happy and I am not.
>
> I shall do some more research into this.

What firmware version are you using, Alan..? Also do you have the regional
settings set to UK..? The latest firmware is 06.03.62 which I downloaded
and installed on my Fritz!Box today.

It works fine here with Sipgate, as I said the only gripe I have is the
dial tone and ringing tones generated by the unit are non-standard and
until I get used to them (or figure out how to change them) will continue
to confuse me..!

If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me off the group, let me
know your number if you want to chat.

--
Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:02:52 +0100, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get on.
>> Apart from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it easy to
>> configure..?

Well I would have answered this question but you beat me to it!... see
below:

> Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a little
> confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.

See, you didn't need my answer did you?

> The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the
> ringing
> tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I can't
> find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

If you download the manual from the AVM website, you will find it covers a
bit more than the Installation Manual that comes in the box. The tones
are shown graphically on page 12, however I don't think they can be
changed.

To tell the truth Ivor, I haven't really spent any time fiddling about
with it. Because I found the echo so annoying, I discontinued messing with
it until such time as I can get a solution. Haven't you noticed an
echo?... is it just mine? I realise that due to a high frequency hearing
loss, the echo has a greater effect on intellegability to me than it would
others, but the fact is I just cannot work with it and need to find a
solution if I am to be able to use it.

Otherwise, It would seem to be a useful gaget! - I won't give up on it
completely until I have exhausted all avenues towards a solution of the
echo... cho... ho... o.

Regards
Alan.

Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:36:45 +0100, Martin² <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can't say that, but I can tell you I looked at it and rejected it as they
> haven't got a wireless version.
> I bought Zyxel 2602HWL, which has two VoIP ports that can dial on PSTN
> line
> and it works just fine. Unfortunately broadbandbuyer.co.uk now corrected
> their price, so isn't cheap anymore

Thanks Martin.

Don't need wireless myself, and as I said in my post, I can't afford to
throw any more money at it just yet. Nevertheless, your comments are
appreciated and noted for future reference.

Regards
Alan.

Alan Foster

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:14:08 +0100, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> What firmware version are you using, Alan..? Also do you have the
> regional
> settings set to UK..? The latest firmware is 06.03.62 which I downloaded
> and installed on my Fritz!Box today.

Firmware up to date - downloaded from AVM... set to UK.

I suspect that it might be a codec problem... unfortunately the pressure
of work means I won't be able to play again until the weekend.

> the only gripe I have is the
> dial tone and ringing tones generated by the unit

See my reply in other post.

> If you want to compare notes, feel free to email me off the group, let me
> know your number if you want to chat.

I appreciate that Ivor. At the moment my IP phone and computer are in
different parts of the house... believe me, there is some logic in this
(and hence the reason I wanted the Fritz!Box in the first place!).

Regards
Alan.

Ivor Jones

Alan Foster wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:02:52 +0100, Ivor Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> I will be getting one in a few days, I'll let you know how I get
>>> on. Apart from the voice quality, how do you find it..? Was it
>>> easy to configure..?

> Well I would have answered this question but you beat me to it!...
> see below:
>

>> Well I've just received my Fritz!Box Fon this morning and after a
>> little confusion I have set it up and it seems to work fine.
>>

> See, you didn't need my answer did you?

I wasn't expecting it to arrive so fast, the postal service is working
better than usual

>> The only gripe I have is the dial tone sounds like NU tone and the
>> ringing
>> tone sounds like busy tone. Is there a way to alter the tones..? I
>> can't find it if there is. Apart from that I'm quite pleased.

> If you download the manual from the AVM website, you will find it
> covers a bit more than the Installation Manual that comes in the
> box. The tones are shown graphically on page 12, however I don't
> think they can be changed.

That page just shows the pattern of the tones, it doesn't state their
audio frequency. I am awaiting a reply from AVM to see if this can be
addressed in a future firmware update.

> To tell the truth Ivor, I haven't really spent any time fiddling
> about with it. Because I found the echo so annoying, I discontinued
> messing with it until such time as I can get a solution. Haven't
> you noticed an echo?... is it just mine? I realise that due to a
> high frequency hearing loss, the echo has a greater effect on
> intellegability to me than it would others, but the fact is I just
> cannot work with it and need to find a solution if I am to be able
> to use it.

No, definitely no echo. I have noticed a slight attenuation in received
audio on calls, but not to the extent I can't use it.

> Otherwise, It would seem to be a useful gaget! - I won't give up on
> it completely until I have exhausted all avenues towards a solution
> of the echo... cho... ho... o.

I don't know then, as I definitely don't have an echo..!

Anyway, get in touch if you need to.

Ivor