Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate again

Sipgate again

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

Has explained to Ivor I have had two or three calls on each of my Sip
gate lines where when answered no one was on the other end, having
done some research over the last ten minutes or so and I have found
that the calling number belongs to a telemarketing firm called
"Telefocus"based in Flitwick in Bedfordshire.
Now Sipgate numbers cannot be obtained via directory enquiries I have
checked and I do not give out numbers to strangers or companies I do
not know I give out my Telewest number to strangers ( no phone
connected on that line ) so I am now coming to one
conclusion........................... .
Is Sipgate making money from selling customers phone numbers to
telemarketing outfits ?????? I am not accusing only wondering if it
is a possibility ! .

JuliusP

Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On 6 Jul 2005 17:58:33 -0700, "JuliusP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
>these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

A possibility I must admit but what I cannot understand is if they are
trying to sell me something why hang up when I answer it does not make
sense .A fauty line I can understand once but not three times in the
space of ten days on two different numbers .

Martin²

>Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
>these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

That's illegal. If you answer the phone and they don't know your/registered
name then you should report them to the Data Commissioner.
Regards,
Martin

JuliusP

I totally agree, I was suggesting how they could have obtained the
numbers in the first place

JuliusP

Perhaps the application they are using is faulty, perhaps it doesn't
recognize that you've answered the line and that the call should be
handed to an agent for live processing

Thomas Rankin

Martin² wrote:
>>Could it be they are just going through the ranges sequentially, since
>>these number allocations are available via Ofcom???

> That's illegal. If you answer the phone and they don't know your/registered
> name then you should report them to the Data Commissioner.
> Regards,
> Martin

Illegal it may be but I swear that's how we get an advert for holiday
clubs at least once a week, we have 2 unlisted numbers that are
sequentially very close to each other, and when the one that has a lower
number is called, you can guarantee when the other one will be.

Surely the law will be broken in the country of origin, and I'm sure
there are some countries where this is not illegal.

Ian

"JuliusP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Perhaps the application they are using is faulty, perhaps it doesn't
> recognize that you've answered the line and that the call should be
> handed to an agent for live processing

Hi

most powerdialer work in an slightly oversquare configeration. Ie more lines
than agents, The dialer thn uses an alogrithum based on average ring time,
average number of calls answered and average call duration to work out when
to dial and on how many lines for each free agent. so you can imagine quite
a few calls will be dead. The skill is getting the maths correct.

Ian

Don Carter

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:26:45 +0100, "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk>
wrote:

>most powerdialer work in an slightly oversquare configeration. Ie more lines
>than agents, The dialer thn uses an alogrithum based on average ring time,
>average number of calls answered and average call duration to work out when
>to dial and on how many lines for each free agent. so you can imagine quite
>a few calls will be dead. The skill is getting the maths correct.
>
>Ian

No, the skill lies in getting the perpetrators accurately lined up in
the crosshairs!

Martin²

Coincidentally I have looked on my sipgate account and I see I have missed
four calls from
02089034122, 02089034442 and 02072867059 (2).

As still use Xten softphone I haven't given my No. to anyone...
Regards,
Martin

Sipgate yet again bacillus cereus UK VOIP 19 05-20-2005 05:24 PM
Sipgate again. wooosh UK VOIP 30 05-16-2005 09:07 PM
Sipgate external gateway down - again Thomas Sandford UK VOIP 1 05-13-2005 09:21 PM
Problems at Sipgate AGAIN!! David Floyd UK VOIP 7 05-11-2005 02:49 PM

Advertisments