Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Is sipgate working?

Is sipgate working?

Gary

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NewsAcc wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me if Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) is working? Mine
>>> ATA failed to log in since last night....

>> I noticed that Sipgate was having issues yesterday (and still
>> today). I cant dial my incoming number from an external phone
>> (engaged tone) and I can dial out using the a softphone, but then
>> cant hear anything. Same on my IP phone. However, my other voip
>> provider (voipfone.co.uk) works fine. No config changes since last
>> week, so it points to Sipgate in my opinion.
>> I haev been testing Sipgate side by side with voipfone over the
>> last week or so and so far voipfone has had no outages and Sipgate
>> seems to go down at least once a day (for me anyway !). I simply
>> dial out every hour to a freephone number and then dial my incoming
>> number to ensure my softphone rings. A simple test, but it has
>> shown me the reliabilty (or lack of) Sipgate. Its a shame, because
>> on paper, its a cracking service. Once they get their voicemail
>> sorted out and reliabilty back, then great !

> No problems here for weeks.
>
> I don't trust softphones though.
>
> Ivor

Hello Ivor,

You being a user of sipgate, I wonder if you can tell me the answer to this:

If you are on a call using spigate ans someone tries to ring you on that
line, what do they get? Answerphone? Busy tones? or Unavailable?

Is there any way of changing what you get?

Gary

Ivor Jones

Gary wrote:

[snip]

> Hello Ivor,
>
> You being a user of sipgate, I wonder if you can tell me the answer
> to this:
> If you are on a call using spigate ans someone tries to ring you on
> that line, what do they get? Answerphone? Busy tones? or
> Unavailable?
> Is there any way of changing what you get?

It depends entirely on what equipment you're using. If you are using
X-Lite, they'll get ringing and you can pick up the call on the 2nd line
tab. If you're using an ATA it may or may not support this. On my SPA2000
I get call waiting bleeps and the call can be picked up by sending a time
break recall signal. The Grandstream 486 does not support this AFAIK and
the caller will get engaged tone (or voicemail if it's set up).

Ivor

bacillus cereus

> It depends entirely on what equipment you're using. If you are using
> X-Lite, they'll get ringing and you can pick up the call on the 2nd line
> tab. If you're using an ATA it may or may not support this. On my SPA2000
> I get call waiting bleeps and the call can be picked up by sending a time
> break recall signal. The Grandstream 486 does not support this AFAIK and
> the caller will get engaged tone (or voicemail if it's set up).
>
> Ivor

I'm using the Grandstream 486, it does support Call Waiting. If you are
using a Caller Display phone that supports Call Waiting ID then you will
also see the number of the waiting caller.

BC

Ivor Jones

"bacillus cereus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ee4xe.59984$(E-Mail Removed) k...

>> It depends entirely on what equipment you're using. If you are using
>> X-Lite, they'll get ringing and you can pick up the call on the 2nd
>> line tab. If you're using an ATA it may or may not support this. On my
>> SPA2000 I get call waiting bleeps and the call can be picked up by
>> sending a time break recall signal. The Grandstream 486 does not
>> support this AFAIK and the caller will get engaged tone (or voicemail
>> if it's set up).

> I'm using the Grandstream 486, it does support Call Waiting. If you are
> using a Caller Display phone that supports Call Waiting ID then you will
> also see the number of the waiting caller.

Thanks for that, I seem to remember mine didn't, but perhaps they've
revised the firmware.

Ivor

Philip

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Hello Ivor,
> >
> > You being a user of sipgate, I wonder if you can tell me the answer
> > to this:
> > If you are on a call using spigate ans someone tries to ring you on
> > that line, what do they get? Answerphone? Busy tones? or
> > Unavailable?
> > Is there any way of changing what you get?

> It depends entirely on what equipment you're using. If you are using
> X-Lite, they'll get ringing and you can pick up the call on the 2nd line
> tab. If you're using an ATA it may or may not support this. On my SPA2000
> I get call waiting bleeps and the call can be picked up by sending a time
> break recall signal. The Grandstream 486 does not support this AFAIK and
> the caller will get engaged tone (or voicemail if it's set up).
>
> Ivor

Hi

On my Speed 716g and attached Panasonic DECT phone if I receive a call to
the VoIP number while I am on it I get a beep in the earpiece of the
handset, and the phone displays the number (and name if in the phones
phonebook) of person trying to get through, in fact this works exactly like
BTs call waiting when you have Caller ID on the line.

The person trying to get through just hears a normal ringing tone, then if
not answered it goes through to voice mail, so they have no idea if you are
there and busy or not there at all, unlike BT that say something along the
lines "the number you are calling knows your waiting".

Interestingly Sipgate voice mail options do allow you to select a "I'm busy"
message instead the usual "I'm unavailable" if they reach your voice mail,
unfortunately for me that option "press 2" does nothing.

Regards

Phil

Ivor Jones

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42c5129c$0$30842$(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

> On my Speed 716g and attached Panasonic DECT phone if I receive a call
> the VoIP number while I am on it I get a beep in the earpiece of the
> handset, and the phone displays the number (and name if in the phones
> phonebook) of person trying to get through, in fact this works exactly
> like
> BTs call waiting when you have Caller ID on the line.
>
> The person trying to get through just hears a normal ringing tone, then
> if
> not answered it goes through to voice mail, so they have no idea if you
> are
> there and busy or not there at all, unlike BT that say something along
> the
> lines "the number you are calling knows your waiting".
>
> Interestingly Sipgate voice mail options do allow you to select a "I'm
> busy"
> message instead the usual "I'm unavailable" if they reach your voice
> mail,
> unfortunately for me that option "press 2" does nothing.

It's the standard Asterisk voicemail, option 2 has been disabled on
Sipgate but the announcement hasn't been changed. I keep on at them though

Ivor

2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..? Ivor Jones VOIP 54 02-04-2005 01:20 PM
Sipgate down..? Ivor Jones VOIP 0 01-30-2005 11:48 PM
Router Recommendation for Sipgate and Sipura-2000? John Geddes VOIP 3 01-19-2005 06:30 AM
Sipgate Grandstream HandyTone-286 + Arcor DSL 1 Mbit Jan VOIP 6 06-25-2004 01:22 PM

Advertisments