Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

Reply
Thread Tools

Vo-IP ATA adapter required - recommendations please

 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
I'm wanting to install an ATA onto my network so I can make a receive calls
using Vo-IP using a DECT cordless phone. I have the following questions if
anyone could help.

How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

Any recommendations for a suitable ATA would be great, especially if you
have a website where I could buy one as I really would like to get this up
and running as soon as possible.

Thanks very much indeed..

Tony




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)


some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
50-100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html

>How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
>configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?


got it in 1.

>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?


depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.

>Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
>back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)


right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.

>Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless phone
>to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?


none.


Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005

"Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

>
> some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
> 50-100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html
>
>>How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
>>configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

>
> got it in 1.
>
>>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
>>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
>>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
>>at
>>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

>
> depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.
>
>>Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
>>back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

>
> right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
> for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.
>
>>Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless
>>phone
>>to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

>
> none.


Thanks ever so much Phil, for the prompt reply. So if I buy a
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa2000.html
You don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to carry on using 18866 for
outgoing calls and sipgate for incoming calls using this unit?

I assume thats what the dual line bit means? Presume the cheap option here
http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_spa1001.html wouldn't allow me to use both
18866 and sipgate???

Thanks again Phil... If you could just clear these two queries up, I`ll get
ordering.

Thanks again.

Tony


 
Reply With Quote
 
gumusluk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:41:28 +0100, "Tony"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I assume thats what the dual line bit means?


yes, dual line means two accounts.

The 1001 refers to a firmware upgrade to carry two accounts on the 1
physical port. This would seem best for your needs.

see the review at http://www.voipuser.org/review_15.html
confirms what we thought.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005

"Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>How much will it cost me for the adapter (minimum cost)

>
> some include them in the service (monthly fee) or buy your own
> 50-100 for example http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura.html
>
>>How do you configure the adapter, do I use a web browser, similar to the
>>configuration of a modem/router or wifi access point?

>
> got it in 1.
>
>>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
>>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
>>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
>>at
>>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?

>
> depends on the ATA. The sipura 2000 range do two services.
>
>>Would the ATA just connect to the LAN using a standard CAT5 cable into the
>>back of my modem/router? (Netgear DG843G)

>
> right again. there are some ATAs that like to go ahead of other stuff
> for QoS ire they act as routers themselves.
>
>>Is there any reason why I would not be able to connect a DECT cordless
>>phone
>>to the ATA, so I could use the phone anywhere around the home?

>
> none.
>
>
> Phil


Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
172.17.xx.xx

Thanks
Tony


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:13:36 +0100, "Tony"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just one more little query Phil, I assume you can setup the IP address for
>any network? I don't use the common 192.168.0.1 etc, I use one starting
>172.17.xx.xx


most ATA's take the IP by DHCP so I would say yes. I use 10.x
addresses.

Some use IVR from the phone handset to put in the IP. Wouldn't expect
it to be an issue.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
 
Reply With Quote
 
JPG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>
>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite at
>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?
>


Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:

How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for incoming
and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?

JPG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005

"JPG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:09:03 +0100, "Tony"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>Could I use two separate services for outgoing and incoming calls?, the
>>reason I ask this is because currently I use 18866 to make calls from my
>>computer using Vo-IP, but I receive calls via sipgate. (I am using X-lite
>>at
>>present) Can this sort of thing usually be configured into any ATA?
>>

>
> Sorry about hijacking the thread but I have a newbie query:
>
> How does one use two lines with X-lite, and assuming I have Sipgate for
> incoming
> and 18866 for outgoing, what telephone number should I/ would I use?
>
> JPG


Setup a second service in SIP PROXY: proxy 1 in the program.

Tony


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Gill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2005
gumusluk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you buy the 1001 and update the software you can use two different
> providers. I have voipbuster and Sipgate on mine and both are OK.


There's currently a 1001 on eBay. The "buy-it-now" price is about what
you would pay for a new one less the VAT.

(I am in no way connected with the seller, and cannot vouch for his item
or his reputation, but his eBay feedback seems good.)

--
The From address is a spam-trap, so all replies to the newsgroup please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be Alert, Your Country Needs More Lerts! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATA recommendations please jkn UK VOIP 5 06-29-2007 09:51 AM
Comunications ATA 186 to ATA 186 (without any gatekeeper or CallManager) SoGo VOIP 1 03-12-2005 07:39 AM
Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ? Robert11 Computer Support 1 10-28-2004 10:14 PM
Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard Prinxce of Darkxness Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
ATA 133 HD on a ATA 100 Board buffy Computer Support 2 12-23-2003 03:39 PM



Advertisments