Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > August PC Pro magazine - VoIP article

August PC Pro magazine - VoIP article

Ivor Jones

The August issue of PC Pro magazine is now out (whatever happened to
releasing just before the month in question..?!)

It has an extensive article on VoIP which is well worth reading. It
concentrates a lot on Skype, but the other systems, including Sipgate, do
get mentioned and there is a useful price comparison chart.

Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best value..?!

Ivor

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:57:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best value..?!

You are repeating yourself Ivor ! ) .

GwG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The August issue of PC Pro magazine is now out (whatever happened to
> releasing just before the month in question..?!)
>
> It has an extensive article on VoIP which is well worth reading. It
> concentrates a lot on Skype, but the other systems, including Sipgate, do
> get mentioned and there is a useful price comparison chart.
>
> Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best value..?!

Does it begin with 'S' and end with 'E'
I bet we get some good guesses to this one.

Phil Thompson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best value..?!

verging on spam, two substantially identical postings of an
advertising nature.

As the founder member of the sipgate cheerleaders squad the fact that
you are posting it makes the outcome predictably tedious.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Ivor Jones

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:57:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best
>> value..?!

> verging on spam, two substantially identical postings of an
> advertising nature.

Possibly, for which I apologise.

> As the founder member of the sipgate cheerleaders squad the fact
> that you are posting it makes the outcome predictably tedious.

I didn't write the article though.

Ivor

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:55:04 +0100, Phil Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:57:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Incidentally, guess which provider they quote as being best value..?!

>verging on spam, two substantially identical postings of an
>advertising nature.
>
>As the founder member of the sipgate cheerleaders squad the fact that
>you are posting it makes the outcome predictably tedious.
>
>Phil

Ivor is ok Phil much better than many who post to news groups but like
you are saying his blindness to Sipgate's antics does get a bit
tedious ))) .

Ivor Jones

[snip]

> Ivor is ok Phil much better than many who post to news groups but
> like you are saying his blindness to Sipgate's antics does get a bit
> tedious ))) .

Can we call a truce to this topic, guys..? You're right, it really is
getting rather tedious.

I am not blind, I fully realise Sipgate have problems, but unlike you I
believe they are aware of them and trying to resolve them. I'm just sorry
it isn't working out to your timetable, but I'm sure it will be sorted.

I'm also sure that the magazine did their own testing of the system before
making their recommendations, I don't believe for a minute they were paid
to say it, unlike someone else. That's a dangerous allegation to make,
incidentally, unless you have proof.

Ivor

marcus@myrealbox.com

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:31:06 GMT, "GwG" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does it begin with 'S' and end with 'E'

Is that SkypE or SipgatE ?!

NewsAcc

This indeed was a cracking article which got me going on the subject.
However, rather bizzarely, my outlining questions (before reading the
article) were about call quality (codecs etc) and bandwidth used. They
didnt touch on any of these as I remember which I thought a bit strange.

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:06:29 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I didn't write the article though.

indeed. Personally I don't find these magazines "reference works" by
any stretch but the author's opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Your enthusiasm is commendable and enjoyable but you do run the risk
of discrediting yourself when it comes to Sipgate.

I might even read the article, but you did put me off to start with

Phil