Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Safety of registering with 18866

Safety of registering with 18866

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:53:10 GMT, "sandman112"
<sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@by.co.uk> wrote:
>i remember i was a bit wary of signing up with 18866 at first but that was
>because i was unsure they were a reputable company to deal with, there lack
>of contact details is very off putting, and ive NEVER recieved anything at
>all from there customer services dept, if they even have one

1866 have proved to me has a long standing customer now that they can
be trusted but like you I wasn't so sure when I first signed up and
their reluctance to provide a phone number that you can contact them
on puts me off has does this same problem with Sipgate also .

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:01:11 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is why I prefer to buy chunks of credit, the worst that can happen is
>that someone steals the unexpired portion of credit and I would be out of
>pocket by a maximum of (for example) 10.00. But when unlimited calls can be
>direct-debited from your bank account it is a much different story.

Sorry Joe I never use 18866 VOIP I use them via BT line .

Ben Smithurst

Joe Harrison wrote:

> Whenever your VOIP device registers it sends your username and password
> UNPROTECTED over a hostile internet which we all know contains many
> varieties of criminals and phraud artists.

assuming you are using SIP, this is wrong. SIP uses MD5 hashes and
other stuff in the authentication mechanism, the password is NOT
transmitted in the clear.

--
Ben Smithurst http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) gradwell dot com Ltd
Systems Developer http://bensmithurst.com/ http://www.gradwell.com/

Geoff Harrison

Joe Harrison wrote:
> I like the rates for calling UK mobiles via www.18866.com so am tempted to
> sign up.
>
> Trouble is they bill you retrospectively, it's not like you buy £x.xx of
> credit which you then use up. An unlimited number of calls can mount up and
> you're responsible.
>
> Given that sending VOIP login parameters doesn't seem to be encrypted in any
> way is this a recipe for suddenly / too late discovering someone has
> "borrowed" your credentials and run up a huge bill which you then get stuck
> with paying?
>
> Anyone got any suggestions for any other provider with particularly good
> rates to call UK mobiles?
>
> Joe

It is a very good point that has been addressed to a remarkable degree
from the beginning.

SIP uses Digest Authentication, Smime, TLS and IPSEC.

I would be more concerned over trojan horses on the PC. I would not be
concerned about authentication issues with sniffers.

The best option with any VOIP system is dedicated hardware.

Or, as Joe says, damage limitation.

Martin²

Geoff Harrison:
>The best option with any VOIP system is dedicated hardware.

Ehh ? That too has to send user ID and password, so security wise it's no
different.
But as already said, it's encrypted and there is lot more chance of someone
guessing at an username and password then intercepting traffic, isolating
the SIP login data and decrypting it.

To Joe:
Here is your solution: sign up with VoIPbuster.com, pay them ?1 and get free
calls to most of the 1st world and some Eastern Europe. Can't lose very much
!
Regards,
Martin

Geoff Harrison

Martin² wrote:
> Geoff Harrison:
>
>>The best option with any VOIP system is dedicated hardware.

> Ehh ? That too has to send user ID and password, so security wise it's no
> different.
> But as already said, it's encrypted and there is lot more chance of someone
> guessing at an username and password then intercepting traffic, isolating
> the SIP login data and decrypting it.
>
> To Joe:
> Here is your solution: sign up with VoIPbuster.com, pay them ?1 and get free
> calls to most of the 1st world and some Eastern Europe. Can't lose very much
> !
> Regards,
> Martin

Of course it has to send the user ID and password.

I obviously meant with respect to Trojans on the PC if using software,
which is were I aired the major concerns in my reply.

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:12:43 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> that would be a lot of money for me at least.

so you would kill yourself ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !