Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > can't work out how to do it

can't work out how to do it

news.ntlworld.com

Here's my dilemma.

I have broadband and telephone supplied NTL cable.

The phone socket is at one end of the house with no power point anywhere
near - though I do have a phone socket and 240v in the kitchen for the base.
I run a 4 set cordless setup for phones around the house which means I can
have a phone next to the computer (no phone socket) on which I run SKYPE.

My main household Pc is at the other end of the house - nowhere near a phone
socket.

What I actually want to do - without running phone wires all over the
place - is to have the dect phones make and take Skype calls.

What I did so far was to connect another dect base phone to a VOIP box with
RJ11 socket. Despite spending more on different cables than I did on the
phone, I could not nothing to get them to talk to each other so I eventually
gave up. Followed all sorts of advice with no luck. My though process was
that a separate DECT phone - unconnected to the NTL phone line would give me
mobility for VOIP calls.
I want to stay with Skype as it's a family thing with relatives in different
parts all using it and I like it!

My broadband is sent around the house wirelessly on a Belkin 54g wireless
setup though I do have the option to utilise a couple of RJ45 sockets if
needs be. I have no additional access points as I don't need them.

If someone can work out what I'm trying to explain and has knowledge of how
it CAN work as required - I'd be very grateful for their advice!

Thanks

Mick

Paul D.Smith

What is a "VOIP box"? Give make and model number. Does it claim "works
with Skype"? If not, then you're doomed! Skype uses a wholely proprietry
protocol i.e. Skypes only tells select partners how their protocol works, as
a result of which there are very few Skype products.

By comparison, SipGate (and many others) use an open protocol called SIP
(session initiation protocol). This means that a company can build a SIP
box without paying anyone for information about the protocol - because it's
freely available on the web.

So, you would need a "VOIP box" that supports Skype in order to talk to
Skype. If you think yours is, tell us which one and someone may be able to
help. If it's not - sorry but it won't work.

BTW, I mention SipGate purely because it springs to mind. If you decide to
go the SIP route, ask the NG for their opinions on the various SIP
providers.

Paul DS.

Nick

"news.ntlworld.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsmOue.2717$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's my dilemma.
>
> I have broadband and telephone supplied NTL cable.
>
> The phone socket is at one end of the house with no power point anywhere
> near - though I do have a phone socket and 240v in the kitchen for the

base.
> I run a 4 set cordless setup for phones around the house which means I can
> have a phone next to the computer (no phone socket) on which I run SKYPE.
>
> My main household Pc is at the other end of the house - nowhere near a

phone
> socket.
>
> What I actually want to do - without running phone wires all over the
> place - is to have the dect phones make and take Skype calls.
>
> What I did so far was to connect another dect base phone to a VOIP box

with
> RJ11 socket. Despite spending more on different cables than I did on the
> phone, I could not nothing to get them to talk to each other so I

eventually
> gave up. Followed all sorts of advice with no luck. My though process was
> that a separate DECT phone - unconnected to the NTL phone line would give

me
> mobility for VOIP calls.
> I want to stay with Skype as it's a family thing with relatives in

different
> parts all using it and I like it!
>
> My broadband is sent around the house wirelessly on a Belkin 54g wireless
> setup though I do have the option to utilise a couple of RJ45 sockets if
> needs be. I have no additional access points as I don't need them.
>
> If someone can work out what I'm trying to explain and has knowledge of

how
> it CAN work as required - I'd be very grateful for their advice!
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick

Did you establish that the second base unit/handset works on the normal
line?
If you tried to use the same handset(s) on the second base unit as the main
one
then you will hit problems. The handset needs to be able to select the base
unit
remotely, not many can do this. Generally, the older the DECT unit the
better
the chance of achieving what you want.

news.ntlworld.com

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42bbb981$0$6466$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> What is a "VOIP box"? Give make and model number. Does it claim "works
> with Skype"? If not, then you're doomed! Skype uses a wholely proprietry
> protocol i.e. Skypes only tells select partners how their protocol works,
> as
> a result of which there are very few Skype products.
>
> By comparison, SipGate (and many others) use an open protocol called SIP
> (session initiation protocol). This means that a company can build a SIP
> box without paying anyone for information about the protocol - because
> it's
> freely available on the web.
>
> So, you would need a "VOIP box" that supports Skype in order to talk to
> Skype. If you think yours is, tell us which one and someone may be able
> help. If it's not - sorry but it won't work.
>
> BTW, I mention SipGate purely because it springs to mind. If you decide
> go the SIP route, ask the NG for their opinions on the various SIP
> providers.
>
> Paul DS.

Hi Paul.

The label on the unit says VOIP-BOX and it's produced by www.bitcall.com
the product is at http://www.bitcall.com/english/voip-box.asp and was
advertised
as being " USB-2008-BOX is a PC-based USB VoIP device that has a RJ11
connector for regular telephones,which enables you to place your PC to
regular phone calls or PC to PC calls and cordless telephone. It makes
internet calls using the keypad of your regular telephone. "

I got it from EBay uk - an identical item can be found at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...209918668&rd=1

..... and no - I didn't test the dect phone direct to the phone line - so
that could be a possibility - however, what I need to know is .... can I do
what I have been trying to do - and if so .... how! Would prefer to use
existing DECT phone setup without buying another (as have given the 'other'
away).

Mick

Paul D.Smith

> The label on the unit says VOIP-BOX and it's produced by www.bitcall.com
> the product is at http://www.bitcall.com/english/voip-box.asp and was
> advertised
> as being " USB-2008-BOX is a PC-based USB VoIP device that has a RJ11
> connector for regular telephones,which enables you to place your PC to
> regular phone calls or PC to PC calls and cordless telephone. It makes
> internet calls using the keypad of your regular telephone. "
> I got it from EBay uk - an identical item can be found at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...209918668&rd=1

I took a brief look at the website (it's soooooo slowwwwwwww) but could not
see anything that mentioned Skype. It looked like a totally proprietry
system to me.

Paul DS.

Ian

"news.ntlworld.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsmOue.2717$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's my dilemma.
>
> I have broadband and telephone supplied NTL cable.
>
> The phone socket is at one end of the house with no power point anywhere
> near - though I do have a phone socket and 240v in the kitchen for the

base.
> I run a 4 set cordless setup for phones around the house which means I can
> have a phone next to the computer (no phone socket) on which I run SKYPE.
>
> My main household Pc is at the other end of the house - nowhere near a

phone
> socket.
>
> What I actually want to do - without running phone wires all over the
> place - is to have the dect phones make and take Skype calls.
>
> What I did so far was to connect another dect base phone to a VOIP box

with
> RJ11 socket. Despite spending more on different cables than I did on the
> phone, I could not nothing to get them to talk to each other so I

eventually
> gave up. Followed all sorts of advice with no luck. My though process was
> that a separate DECT phone - unconnected to the NTL phone line would give

me
> mobility for VOIP calls.
> I want to stay with Skype as it's a family thing with relatives in

different
> parts all using it and I like it!
>
> My broadband is sent around the house wirelessly on a Belkin 54g wireless
> setup though I do have the option to utilise a couple of RJ45 sockets if
> needs be. I have no additional access points as I don't need them.
>
> If someone can work out what I'm trying to explain and has knowledge of

how
> it CAN work as required - I'd be very grateful for their advice!

Ok
Looking at the description its a generic USB to ALOG phone box.
On your PC you will need the skype client running,
plug i the box and it should be seen as a sound device of some type.
you then need to make sure the skype client uses these devices.
before trying it with dect sets just use a normal phone in the rj11 socket.
you will need to make sure the middle two wires are connected.
once you have done this , make sure the dialng part of the client works.

good luck

Ian

Paul D.Smith

> Looking at the description its a generic USB to ALOG phone box.
> On your PC you will need the skype client running,
> plug i the box and it should be seen as a sound device of some type.
> you then need to make sure the skype client uses these devices.
> before trying it with dect sets just use a normal phone in the rj11

socket.
> you will need to make sure the middle two wires are connected.
> once you have done this , make sure the dialng part of the client works.

Ian,

What interface does it use to talk to Skype on the PC? Is there a special
"Skype to phone adapter" protocol?

Paul DS

Paul D.Smith

Having had more of a look, I'm even more convinced that this is proprietry
and won't work with Skype. Look at the tech support section on "how to
use" - there is no mention of Skype.

Paul DS

Ian

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42bbdd88$0$6469$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > Looking at the description its a generic USB to ALOG phone box.
> > On your PC you will need the skype client running,
> > plug i the box and it should be seen as a sound device of some type.
> > you then need to make sure the skype client uses these devices.
> > before trying it with dect sets just use a normal phone in the rj11

> socket.
> > you will need to make sure the middle two wires are connected.
> > once you have done this , make sure the dialng part of the client works.
> >

> Ian,
>
> What interface does it use to talk to Skype on the PC? Is there a special
> "Skype to phone adapter" protocol?

Almost any usb phone will work with skype, this is because USB phones are in
reality only a USB sound device and dial pad (HID). these devices use no
protocol whatsoever. As I said you just have to configure the client to use
that device.

Dont confuse it with an ATA just because you can plug a phone in. its not.

Ian

news.ntlworld.com

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42bbdd88$0$6469$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> > Looking at the description its a generic USB to ALOG phone box.
>> > On your PC you will need the skype client running,
>> > plug i the box and it should be seen as a sound device of some type.
>> > you then need to make sure the skype client uses these devices.
>> > before trying it with dect sets just use a normal phone in the rj11

>> socket.
>> > you will need to make sure the middle two wires are connected.
>> > once you have done this , make sure the dialng part of the client
>> > works.
>> >

>> Ian,
>>
>> What interface does it use to talk to Skype on the PC? Is there a
>> special
>> "Skype to phone adapter" protocol?
>>

> Almost any usb phone will work with skype, this is because USB phones are
> in
> reality only a USB sound device and dial pad (HID). these devices use no
> protocol whatsoever. As I said you just have to configure the client to
> use
> that device.
>
> Dont confuse it with an ATA just because you can plug a phone in. its not.
>
> Ian

I'll try to answer the questions all at once.

The BT Dect phone does work plugged direct into a phone socket.

The VoIP box was on EBay as working with Skype - but that probably means
nothing.
It came with a standard RJ11 cable and I got myself all confused with the
pins that should connect as the pins on the cable with the phone were (I
think) 1&4 whereas the cable with the Skype box were 2&3.

There was no protocol or anything else with the VoIP box - it was supposed
to be a case of plug in and it works. There was no tech support worth having
either.

I have to admit I have put it all back in a box close to the back door. The
DECT phone I bought for the job I have given away - and really, I'm looking
not so much now to make that set up work, but to have a setup with my
existing DECT phones working with Skype.

I do appreciate all the assistance though.

Mick