Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Problems

Problems

NH

I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get them
set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number for them.
Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they won't connect
at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but that just
gave us a taste for taking it further.
Do some ISP's block Voip?

Ivor Jones

"NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9fg1a$9km$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get
>them set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number
>for them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they
>won't connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to
>computer but that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
> Do some ISP's block Voip?

There has been talk of some trying, but I don't think any UK based ISP's
have done so, IMHO they would be treading on dangerous ground since Vonage
got sued in the US.

What problems exactly are you having..? Without knowing more details I
can't really advise. Personally I only have experience with Sipgate not
Voipfone but I'm sure someone else will help you there.

Are you using a softphone such as X-Lite or are you using a hardware
ATA..? Be aware that Skype doesn't co-exist too well with X-Lite on the
same PC.

Email me direct with your numbers if you want to do any tests on Sipgate
(address in sig).

--
Ivor

(replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

NH

I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through all
the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.

Baffled

>>I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get them
>>set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number for
>>them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they won't
>>connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but
>>that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
>> Do some ISP's block Voip?

> There has been talk of some trying, but I don't think any UK based ISP's
> have done so, IMHO they would be treading on dangerous ground since Vonage
> got sued in the US.
>
> What problems exactly are you having..? Without knowing more details I
> can't really advise. Personally I only have experience with Sipgate not
> Voipfone but I'm sure someone else will help you there.
>
> Are you using a softphone such as X-Lite or are you using a hardware
> ATA..? Be aware that Skype doesn't co-exist too well with X-Lite on the
> same PC.
>
> Email me direct with your numbers if you want to do any tests on Sipgate
> (address in sig).
>
> --
> Ivor
>
> (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

Paul D.Smith

"NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9g9vi$rfv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know with Sipgate it tries to login and after about 20 seconds comes up
> timeout. It will try again itself but same result. I have went through

all
> the settings with them and all seems as it should be. If I ring their
> Sipgate number it just gives the unobtainable sound. With Voipfone if I
> ring their numbers it diverts to their voice mail and they can't ring out.
> We tried opening the ports as suggested in Sipgates help pages.
>
> Baffled

Umm. Does your relative have a NAT in the way, and if so, have they
configured their STUN server settings correctly? Sounds like the device is
trying to REGISTER but the REGISTER response doesn't get back. By default
this would be after 32 seconds, but the exact time may be slightly
different. Depending on your hardware, a network trace (Ethereal or
X-Lite's internal tracing if you're trying that) can be informative.

If you think all is well, try exactly the same settings at your end. They
should work just as well, or not!

Paul DS.

NH

Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out and
in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

"NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9fg1a$9km$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get them
>set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number for
>them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they won't
>connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but
>that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
> Do some ISP's block Voip?

GwG

"NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9lrm9$vc4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
> Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
> and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.

What is your upload speed?
When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow for
VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite to
only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the phone,
G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.

Stefan Kaniuk

VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.
"NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d9lrm9$vc4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
> Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
> and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.
>

> "NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d9fg1a$9km$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a relative who lives down under and we have been trying to get them
>>set up with a UK Voip service to take advantage of UK based number for
>>them. Tried Sipgate and Voipfone and can't get either to work, they won't
>>connect at their end. We can get Skype to work computer to computer but
>>that just gave us a taste for taking it further.
>> Do some ISP's block Voip?

GwG

"Stefan Kaniuk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Ruve.4524$(E-Mail Removed)...
> VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
> VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

I have heard that sometimes you can get unusual side affects, like the caps
key locking

Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:48:43 GMT, "Stefan Kaniuk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>VONAGE IS THE WAY TO GO 7 LINES HERE AND ALL WPRKING PERFECTLY THANKYOU
>VERY MUCH UNLIKE OTHERS I COULD CARE TO MENTION.

And at the outrageous prices Vonage are charging one would hope your
lines are working .

NH

"GwG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hQuve.5300$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "NH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d9lrm9$vc4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Back again for more help. We have got Voipfone working - sort of.
>> Everything is working except they can't hear anything. We can dial out
>> and in, I can hear them but they have silence. Any suggestions.
>>

> What is your upload speed?
> When I was using the basic NTL service, it was 56kb, which was too slow
> for VoIP, even though it seemed to work OK with Skype.
> If this is the case, and you are using a softphone like X-Lite, set the
> codecs on the phone to only use GSM and iLBC (I think). To set the X-Lite
> to only use these, you have to click on the others on the front of the
> phone, G711u, G711a, SPX, to 'grey' them out.

Both on broadband