Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Recommendations for a reliable VoIP Provider

Recommendations for a reliable VoIP Provider

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:54:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So don't use them..! If you don't like their service why on earth are you
>still here..?!

So why didn't you name this group uk.telecom .voip. sipgate then Ivor
and I wouldn't be here.

>If I don't like a company's service I simply don't use
>them.

I don't use them even though I have fifteen quid lying on my two
Sipgate lines still .

>You obviously have an issue with Sipgate,

So have many other people judging by what I have read HERE over the
last weeks .
> so why don't you take it up with
>them direct..?

Impossable to contact them by phone which is another thing which
annoyes me greatly , 18866 and 1899 have the same effect on me and I
do not used them either .

>Moaning on here is going to achieve precisely *nothing* -

Mamy people do Ivor ............................... .

Ivor Jones

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:54:52 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> So don't use them..! If you don't like their service why on earth
>> are you still here..?!

> So why didn't you name this group uk.telecom .voip. sipgate then
> Ivor and I wouldn't be here.

Because it's for all VoIP users, even you <g>

>> If I don't like a company's service I simply don't use
>> them.

> I don't use them even though I have fifteen quid lying on my two
> Sipgate lines still .
>
>> You obviously have an issue with Sipgate,

> So have many other people judging by what I have read HERE over the
> last weeks .

But you're the only one having a go with such intensity..!

>> so why don't you take it up with
>> them direct..?

> Impossable to contact them by phone which is another thing which
> annoyes me greatly , 18866 and 1899 have the same effect on me and I
> do not used them either .

That isn't a valid reason for not pursuing the issue. You should do this
sort of thing in writing anyway. You can get their postal address from the
website. The managing director's name is there as well.

>> Moaning on here is going to achieve precisely *nothing* -

> Mamy people do Ivor ............................... .

How true

Ivor

The Cable Guy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|| you do not see anyone slagging Voipfone or Just dial or any of the
|| other UK providers off here because the do not give people reason to
|| do so Sipgate on the other hand do give a lot of reason .......... .

Voipfone are a load of old................no, never used them. What do you
like about them Dexter?

Can you use SIP hardware devices, IAX, or onlt their softphone?

Peter Gradwell

Richard Anderton wrote:
> As the newly appointed Secretary of an organisation with world wide
> membership (But no premises), I want to set up a VoIP system for members
> to contact me. Specifically I want to publish a number (and eventually
> numbers) that are separate from my other PSTN numbers.
>
> Requirements are:
> 1. Reliability
> 2. UK geographic number with the ability to add geographic numbers in
> other parts of the world (possibly via other providers). Ideally free
> but not necessarily so.
> 3. Because calls may come in outside UK Office hours need to have
> voicemail facilities.
> 4. Low cost world wide outgoing calls.
> 5. CLI
>
> I know that many providers offer these things but reliability is
> critically important.
>
> Any thoughts from the group.

We're very focused on the UK SME market, and with a good 1000 active
businesses using our services as their primary phone line, we take
reliability pretty seriously.

cheers
peter

David Floyd

As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why there
is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are not worthy
of recommendation.

This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if Ivor
recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

DF

The Cable Guy

David Floyd wrote:
|| As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
|| there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
|| not worthy of recommendation.
|| This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
|| Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!
|| DF

Why are you replying to me about something I didn't ask?

Anyway you got it arse over tits. Ivor was the one retaliating, not
recommending.

Ivor Jones

David Floyd wrote:
> As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
> there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
> not worthy of recommendation.

It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing anyone,
be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the time, particularly
if the problems are not their fault.

> This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
> Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

I am *not* recommending them..! I am merely stating that I as an
individual am on the whole satisfied with their service. Yes they have
problems but they are not, *to me*, enough to warrant paying someone else
a monthly charge. Sipgate are not the only provider who have had problems.
There are plenty of messages in this group about 1899 and others which
aren't exactly complimentary.

Yes Sipgate have had problems, but not all of them have been of their
making. If the PSTN gateway goes down for example, as has happened, it can
hardly be their fault if the problem lies elsewhere.

Standing on a soapbox and shouting "SIPGATE ARE RUBBISH" all day long
isn't going to achieve anything. Write to the managing director voicing
your complaints; his name and postal address are on the website. If you
feel that strongly about it, withdraw your custom. If enough people do
that and *if* the problems are Sipgate's fault then if they fail to
address them it *will* be their fault.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

Peter Gradwell wrote:

[snip]

> We're very focused on the UK SME market, and with a good 1000 active
> businesses using our services as their primary phone line, we take
> reliability pretty seriously.

I have no doubt Peter that your service is reliable, and that you have the
best of intentions, but you charge a monthly line rental. I don't feel
that charge is warranted for my usage. For a business perhaps, but as I
already pay PSTN and moble monthly rentals, more charges without a call
even being made isn't viable for me. One of the main things that attracted
me to Sipgate in the first instance was the lack of a monthly charge.

Ivor

David Floyd

In message of Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Ivor Jones writes
>David Floyd wrote:
>> As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
>> there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
>> not worthy of recommendation.

>It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing anyone,
>be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the time, particularly
>if the problems are not their fault.
>
>> This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder if
>> Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

>I am *not* recommending them..!

Having re-read the thread I see that you did not recommends them on this
occasion (but you often do), so I apologise for accusing of this.

David

Ivor Jones

David Floyd wrote:
> In message of Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Ivor Jones writes
>> David Floyd wrote:
>>> As far as I see it Ivor often recommends Sipgate, and that is why
>>> there is a response, because many people believe that Sipgate are
>>> not worthy of recommendation.

>> It's not so much that I recommend them, more that I dislike seeing
>> anyone, be they an individual or a company, slagged off all the
>> time, particularly if the problems are not their fault.
>>
>>> This thread was about a RELIABLE VoIP Provider, is it any wonder
>>> if Ivor recommends Sipgate that there is then a retaliation!

>> I am *not* recommending them..!

> Having re-read the thread I see that you did not recommends them on
> this occasion (but you often do), so I apologise for accusing of
> this.

No apology necessary. However I do wish that certain people would go to
Speakers Corner with their soapboxes <g>

Ivor