Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate: Problems calling in?

Sipgate: Problems calling in?

Joel

Hiya folks,

I've recently registered a local number on Sipgate, since the new areas
have been launched.

I used to have a Birmingham (0121) number which worked fine, and I
recently changed to a Redditch (01527) number, about 2 months ago.

However, it seems I am not able to call the number at all from a
BT/Telewest/ntl phone line - it just gives a long continuous tone after
dialing first 2 digits of number.

BT offers a slightly different 'engaged' tone, despite the fact nobody
is using the line, and other SIPgate users can call me etc.

I've waited just in case it was a problem with TW/ntl/BT picking up the
new number blocks etc, but still after this time it doesn't work.

Is this problem with Telewest/ntl/BT, or something else?

(P.S. - If anyone wants to try it, I get a tone after dialing: 01527
90... (SIPgate gives numbers in 90xxxx block))

Many thanks,

Joel

Joel

Joel wrote:

> (P.S. - If anyone wants to try it, I get a tone after dialing: 01527
> 90... (SIPgate gives numbers in 90xxxx block))

Sorry I lie - it takes another digit to trigger the tone:

e.g. 01527 908...

Sipgate says the next number available is 01527 908183 which is
apparently impossible to dial

Joel

{{{{Welcome}}}}

"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Joel wrote:
>
> > (P.S. - If anyone wants to try it, I get a tone after dialing: 01527
> > 90... (SIPgate gives numbers in 90xxxx block))

> Sorry I lie - it takes another digit to trigger the tone:
>
> e.g. 01527 908...
>
> Sipgate says the next number available is 01527 908183 which is
> apparently impossible to dial
>
> Joel

Dialling 01527 908183 I get the engaged tone with "The number you have
called is busy......" which is what you should be getting, if the user isn't
logged on, which they won't be as there is no user for the number yet.

Dialling 01527 908 doesn't come up with an error until I wait a while when I
get the number dialled has not been recognised, due to not completing the
number.

Joel

Out of interest, what were you calling from? (i.e. landline,
BT/Telewest/ntl/some other? or SIPgate?)

Someone calling me from a BT line gets an engaged tone, as does someone
from a Orange network mobile.

But I am online, and the web control panel also says that I am online
etc.

Joel

Linus Surguy

"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I used to have a Birmingham (0121) number which worked fine, and I
>recently changed to a Redditch (01527) number, about 2 months ago.
>
>However, it seems I am not able to call the number at all from a
>BT/Telewest/ntl phone line - it just gives a long continuous tone after
>dialing first 2 digits of number.
>
>BT offers a slightly different 'engaged' tone, despite the fact nobody
>is using the line, and other SIPgate users can call me etc.
>
>I've waited just in case it was a problem with TW/ntl/BT picking up the
>new number blocks etc, but still after this time it doesn't work.
>
>Is this problem with Telewest/ntl/BT, or something else?
>
>(P.S. - If anyone wants to try it, I get a tone after dialing: 01527
>90... (SIPgate gives numbers in 90xxxx block))

You can also try dialling the test number 01527 900 901. If that doesnt work,
report it as a fault to your operator (BT, NTL or whoever) and also let Sipgate
know - they'll also need to know the phone number you were calling from.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

RJHN *1JOD

Hi,
I had this problem initially with my 01584 sipgate number after
changing from 0121 when the full Geographic number ranges became
available. Maybe you are first on the Reditch exchange to use the
number range!

I could call it fine from a BT 01568 line but not from a BT phone on
the same 01584 area code.
It worked fine using CPS from the 01584 exchange.
Found out BT had not fully activated the exchange to allow the new
number range, emailed sipgate and it was sorted within a couple of
days.

John

TR

Joel wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> I've recently registered a local number on Sipgate, since the new areas
> have been launched.
>
> I used to have a Birmingham (0121) number which worked fine, and I
> recently changed to a Redditch (01527) number, about 2 months ago.
>
> However, it seems I am not able to call the number at all from a
> BT/Telewest/ntl phone line - it just gives a long continuous tone after
> dialing first 2 digits of number.
>
> BT offers a slightly different 'engaged' tone, despite the fact nobody
> is using the line, and other SIPgate users can call me etc.
>
> I've waited just in case it was a problem with TW/ntl/BT picking up the
> new number blocks etc, but still after this time it doesn't work.
>
> Is this problem with Telewest/ntl/BT, or something else?
>
> (P.S. - If anyone wants to try it, I get a tone after dialing: 01527
> 90... (SIPgate gives numbers in 90xxxx block))
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Joel

I had a similar problem when i signed up to sipgate,
but it was only tw calling my sipgate number,
raised a ticket with TW they were pretty useless really,
i had to tell them to check the number routing tables within my local TW
exchange and they still took 3 weeks to resolve it ??
to get it resolved i also put a call into sipgate who also raised a case
with telewest to check it out.

so it look like the number you have isn't being routed, you will need
to tell sipgate who is unable to connect to they can advise the other
networks and get the number routed.

hth

cheers

Joel

Ok, I just tried something really weird, and it started working (!)

When I rang the *full* number from my Telewest phone line, it connects
fine - no problems at all.

e.g. calling 01527 90807* instead of just 90807* - and someone else can
call it fine too now.

Either someone somewhere has magically fixed something, or something
even bizarre has happened.

Thanks anyway

Joel

Ivor Jones

Joel wrote:
> Ok, I just tried something really weird, and it started working (!)
>
> When I rang the *full* number from my Telewest phone line, it
> connects fine - no problems at all.
>
> e.g. calling 01527 90807* instead of just 90807* - and someone else
> can call it fine too now.
>
> Either someone somewhere has magically fixed something, or something
> even bizarre has happened.
>
> Thanks anyway
>
> Joel

Connecting using the full number will nearly always work, but using only
the "local" number does require BT or whoever to enable it.

Ivor

ollieonline ollieonline is offline
Junior Member

The busy effect can also happen if you have not setup your router or voip software on your pc correctly or if your phone is offline and you don't have voice mail setup.