Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Confused about Sipgate?

Reply
Thread Tools

Confused about Sipgate?

 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

[snip]

> G711a = A-Law
> G771u = U-Law
>
> I would say G771u, then G771a, GSM etc as per the codec order in
> X-Lite.


Please don't think I'm moaning just for the sake of it, but a little
snipping would be nice here..! 80+ lines repeated just to add 3 is a
little OTT.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> Please don't think I'm moaning just for the sake of it, but a little
> snipping would be nice here..! 80+ lines repeated just to add 3 is a
> little OTT.
>
> Ivor
>
>


No worries.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harry Broomhall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:53:28 +0100, "Roger V" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[SNIP]
>You don't happen to know which codec is best used with sipgate do you? I
>see 'G711U' 'G711a' 'GSM' 'iLBC' and SPX. I found that A-Law was the best
>with iaxcomm, but it seems that A-Law is not availbale with the software?


G.711 a-law (G711a) is the normal European standard, so is best to
use in the UK as this doesn't require conversion to interface to
telcos.

Regards,
Harry.


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Hartley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005

"Harry Broomhall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:53:28 +0100, "Roger V" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>>You don't happen to know which codec is best used with sipgate do you? I
>>see 'G711U' 'G711a' 'GSM' 'iLBC' and SPX. I found that A-Law was the
>>best
>>with iaxcomm, but it seems that A-Law is not availbale with the software?

>
> G.711 a-law (G711a) is the normal European standard, so is best to
> use in the UK as this doesn't require conversion to interface to
> telcos.
>


VO-IP is crap at the best of times. It breaks up and sounds terrible, so my
advice is steer clear f it unless you are forced to use it!



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
Steven Hartley wrote:

[snip]

> VO-IP is crap at the best of times. It breaks up and sounds
> terrible, so my advice is steer clear f it unless you are forced to
> use it!


By what experience do you base this statement..? It's fine here.

<pedant>
BTW the correct acronym is VoIP (note lower case o).
</pedant>

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Graham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005

> Steven Hartley wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > VO-IP is crap at the best of times. It breaks up and sounds
> > terrible, so my advice is steer clear f it unless you are forced to
> > use it!

>
> By what experience do you base this statement..? It's fine here.
>
> <pedant>
> BTW the correct acronym is VoIP (note lower case o).
> </pedant>



So does that make you a PitA or a PiTA?


 
Reply With Quote
 
JuliusP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005

Strange comment, since lots of supposedly "regular" calls are routed
over Carrier VoIP infrastructures

 
Reply With Quote
 
TheDragon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roger V wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Ive just signed up for sipgate, but having trouble understanding a
>> few things, not least what software to use with the service? I
>> thought I could use iaxComm, but is that correct, of do I need
>> something else?
>> TIA
>> Roger

>
> The PC software that works best is X-Lite, you can download this from the
> Sipgate site. I've not tried anything else as I use normal phones with an
> adaptor. Actually I have the lines feeding into my PABX, but it works the
> same way..!
>
> Email me with your number if you want to try a test call.
>
> --
> Ivor
>
> (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)
>


A little off topic, how have you got the Sipgate connected to your PABX? I
have an Avaya IP system and Cisco CM 3.4, could I connect these to Sipgate
and get incoming calls and outgoig calls via Sipgate??


>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
TheDragon wrote:

[snip]

> A little off topic, how have you got the Sipgate connected to your
> PABX? I have an Avaya IP system and Cisco CM 3.4, could I connect
> these to Sipgate and get incoming calls and outgoig calls via
> Sipgate??


Simple, I just took the analogue outputs of the Sipura SPA-2000 ATA and
connected them to two of the incoming lines on the PABX. They appear just
like any other line. I don't know the equipment you've got so can't advise
specifically on the way you'd need to do it.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
Graham wrote:
>> Steven Hartley wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> VO-IP is crap at the best of times. It breaks up and sounds
>>> terrible, so my advice is steer clear f it unless you are forced
>>> to use it!

>>
>> By what experience do you base this statement..? It's fine here.
>>
>> <pedant>
>> BTW the correct acronym is VoIP (note lower case o).
>> </pedant>

>
>
> So does that make you a PitA or a PiTA?


Whichever you prefer. I'm not going to waste time on it.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
confused! Dennis J. Tuchler Firefox 4 05-19-2005 12:04 AM
Thunderbird 1.0 got confused with news 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan Firefox 0 12-24-2004 08:16 PM
Utterly confused - web, sql tables what to use for development? RichGK ASP .Net 1 07-31-2004 05:16 AM
Confused and bewildered. DJ Miller ASP .Net 4 09-04-2003 06:10 PM
Confused. Need Help! Cobra Pilot Perl 1 07-22-2003 03:21 PM



Advertisments