Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate Down

Sipgate Down

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Anyone else having problems with Sipgate?
>
> Calling my numbers from PSTN either results in number not recognized or
> we can not connect you to the service.

0121 numbers are back up and running.

020 and 01675 still not working.

Ivor Jones

Peter Corlett wrote:

[snip]

> The wholesale cost to Sipgate for a number is surprisingly high.
> They seem to be giving the numbers away and hiking the call prices
> to cover the cost. This doesn't look to be good business sense
> given that one can easily avoid Sipgate's call prices by using 1899
> instead.

1.19p per minute for UK numbers and 1.5p/min to the US is ok to me, but
then I don't make many calls to the PSTN. Most of my calls from Sipgate
are to other VoIP users which are free..!

Ivor

Ivor Jones

John wrote:
> Its Just come up 01584 number
> John

What has..?

Ivor

David Floyd

In message of Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Peter Corlett writes
>Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[...]
>> *Please* put a space in here dex it makes life so much easier <g>

>I just put a space in my killfile for him until such time as he learns
>English.

This newsgroup is about VoIP (and proper usenet etiquette) NOT English,
as long as we can figure out what is being said, the standard of English
has nothing to do with a newsgroup such as this.

DF

Ivor Jones

John wrote:
> Also down here again!! 01584 number,
> Not the most reliable service.
> John

Ok here on 020 and 0121.

This doesn't seem to me to be a Sipgate-specific fault, given that they
are located in Germany. More likely a problem in the interface with BT in
the UK.

Ivor

Peter Corlett

David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[...]
> This newsgroup is about VoIP (and proper usenet etiquette) NOT
> English,

Is writing clearly and legibly not part of etiquette?

> as long as we can figure out what is being said, the standard of
> English has nothing to do with a newsgroup such as this.

Well, if everybody wrote like that, I'd spend all day trying to figure
out what people mean, and never get anywhere. Besides, articles with
sloppy presentation tend to be also rather sloppy with the content, so
I'm not missing much anyway.

--
Marriage: a souvenir of love.
- Helen Rowland

David Floyd

In message of Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Peter Corlett writes
>David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[...]
>> This newsgroup is about VoIP (and proper usenet etiquette) NOT
>> English,

>Is writing clearly and legibly not part of etiquette?

Yes, but I said "usenet etiquette", commonly referred to as
'netiquette'.

And it has been long practice not to criticise people's ability, or lack
of, to spell correctly or use correct grammar.

David

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:11:46 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>And it has been long practice not to criticise people's ability, or lack
>of, to spell correctly or use correct grammar.

And there is no requirement that I am aware of to have an higher's
degree in English David .These people that are doing all the moaning
want to try deciphering the notes that the 14 year old kid next door
shoves through or door sometimes and he goes to a private school
or my doctors for that matter !!!.

Phil Thompson

wrote:

>And it has been long practice not to criticise people's ability, or lack
>of, to spell correctly or use correct grammar.

shouldn't that be "it has long been ...."

oh, the irony !

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Ivor Jones

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:11:46 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> And it has been long practice not to criticise people's ability,
>> or lack of, to spell correctly or use correct grammar.

> And there is no requirement that I am aware of to have an higher's
> degree in English David .These people that are doing all the moaning
> want to try deciphering the notes that the 14 year old kid next door
> shoves through or door sometimes and he goes to a private school
> or my doctors for that matter !!!.

They want to try deciphering where the previous users' post ends and yours
starts as well, mate..! I've told you before, put a blank line in

My personal view is that Usenet is a written not a spoken medium. It is
therefore rather pleasant if users have some idea of grammar and
punctuation. I'm not claiming to be perfect, incidentally, but at least I
know when to capitalise and insert paragraphs <g>

Ivor

Sipgate down? 06/06/05 JGN UK VOIP 5 06-06-2005 07:45 PM
sipgate down yet again Roger UK VOIP 5 05-27-2005 06:36 PM
Sipgate external gateway down - again Thomas Sandford UK VOIP 1 05-13-2005 09:21 PM
Sipgate down..? Ivor Jones VOIP 0 01-30-2005 11:48 PM

Advertisments