Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > looking for VOIP for small office

Reply
Thread Tools

looking for VOIP for small office

 
 
Neil Jarman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
Hi,

I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system with
something moe modern.

Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
myself, rather than getting in an external company?

We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade from
10 to 20 internal extensions.

Cheers,

NEIL


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005

"Neil Jarman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7hrue$i9h$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system

with
> something moe modern.
>
> Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
> myself, rather than getting in an external company?
>
> We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade

from
> 10 to 20 internal extensions.
>


Hi

Wait a few weeks and the new Mitel 3300 CXI will be avalible and will do all
you want. see www.mitel.com not sure if the CXI is on it yet though.

Ian


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neil Jarman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
Hi Ian,

No, the CXI is not on the web site.

As a complete telecoms novice, will I be able to configure it myself? Our
system is SO old, I dread to think what a mess I might get into.

Thanks for the pointer, however.

I found a Quadro 16xa which looks promising too - do you have any comments?

NEIL





"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Neil Jarman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d7hrue$i9h$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system

> with
>> something moe modern.
>>
>> Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
>> myself, rather than getting in an external company?
>>
>> We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade

> from
>> 10 to 20 internal extensions.
>>

>
> Hi
>
> Wait a few weeks and the new Mitel 3300 CXI will be avalible and will do
> all
> you want. see www.mitel.com not sure if the CXI is on it yet though.
>
> Ian
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lurch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:21:02 +0100, "Neil Jarman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> strung together this:

>I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system with
>something moe modern.
>

Why? What additional features do you need from it?

>Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
>myself, rather than getting in an external company?
>

Depends what you know now, what you hope to achieve and what you are
like at maintaining PBX's.

>We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade from
>10 to 20 internal extensions.
>

What sort of lines? What sort of extensions? What features do you need
on these extensions?

By the sound of it, you need to get an external company as you seem to
be way off the mark.

And where does VoIP come into this?
--

SJW
Please reply to group or use 'usenet' in email subject
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric The Viking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lurch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2005
On 31 May 2005 16:13:49 -0700, "Eric The Viking"
<(E-Mail Removed)> strung together this:

>Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?


Obviously you have no idea what's going on here then.

You can't spec a phone system without knowing what the end user wants
out of it. Do you buy everything blind or do you just buy a generic
'thing' that is absolutely useless to you as it doesn't do what you
want it to do?

If one of my customers said to me that they want a phone system I
wouldn't just turn around and say "OK, fine. I'll order that then".
I'd find out what they wanted, then supply something that matched
their requirements. I'd spend most of my time in the small claims
court and run out of customers pretty fast if I didn't.

I assume you're only 12 and haven't learnt anything about good
business sense so I won't be too hard on you for today.
--

SJW
Please reply to group or use 'usenet' in email subject
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric The Viking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2005


Lurch wrote:
> On 31 May 2005 16:13:49 -0700, "Eric The Viking"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> strung together this:
>
> >Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?

>
> Obviously you have no idea what's going on here then.


It's usenet. People ask questions in hope of getting answers.
Preferably helpful ones.

> You can't spec a phone system without knowing what the end user wants
> out of it. Do you buy everything blind or do you just buy a generic
> 'thing' that is absolutely useless to you as it doesn't do what you
> want it to do?


I thought the bloke stated pretty clearly what he wants out of it,
besides he wasn't asking for a spec or to buy anything - just for some
ideas of systems. I'm sure the chap is more than capable of reading up
on any bits of kit that are recommended.

> If one of my customers said to me that they want a phone system I
> wouldn't just turn around and say "OK, fine. I'll order that then".
> I'd find out what they wanted, then supply something that matched
> their requirements. I'd spend most of my time in the small claims
> court and run out of customers pretty fast if I didn't.


And if your attitude towards your customers is the same as it is in
here I would imagine that you would be more concerned about the latter
rather than the former.

> I assume you're only 12 and haven't learnt anything about good
> business sense so I won't be too hard on you for today.


I will therefore assume that you are also 12 but you lose cos my dad's
a policeman.

"Won't be too hard on you for today" - twot.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lurch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2005
On 31 May 2005 18:39:12 -0700, "Eric The Viking"
<(E-Mail Removed)> strung together this:

>It's usenet. People ask questions in hope of getting answers.
>Preferably helpful ones.
>

Which is why I asked the questions, in order to provide an answer
which was somewhere near what he wanted.

>I thought the bloke stated pretty clearly what he wants out of it,
>besides he wasn't asking for a spec or to buy anything - just for some
>ideas of systems. I'm sure the chap is more than capable of reading up
>on any bits of kit that are recommended.
>

I can't recommend anything if I don't know what he wants. All I know
at the moment is he wants a phone system. All I can recommend from
that is that he gets a phone system, what's the point in suggesting
that?

>And if your attitude towards your customers is the same as it is in
>here I would imagine that you would be more concerned about the latter
>rather than the former.
>

What? I've just explained once, if you don't understand then don't
bother replying with same drivel again.
--

SJW
Please reply to group or use 'usenet' in email subject
 
Reply With Quote
 
BigLarry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2005
Take at look at www.phonepresence.co.uk , it looks like it could be for
you. Obv you would need a decent ADSL/Broadband line to support so many
users but I reckon you could use a 20:1 contention from someone like
Nildram coupled with a package from phone presence to give you more
features etc etc.

 
Reply With Quote
 
BigLarry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2005
Take at look at www.phonepresence.co.uk , it looks like it could be for
you. Obv you would need a decent ADSL/Broadband line to support so many
users but I reckon you could use a 20:1 contention from someone like
Nildram coupled with a package from phone presence to give you more
features etc etc.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best VOIP solution for small office?? Craig VOIP 3 04-23-2004 06:30 AM



Advertisments