Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > AOHELL and VOIP

AOHELL and VOIP

RH

Hi,

Is anyone using an ATA or IP phone under AOL Broadband? will it work, I have
memories that AOL connections did not use static or dynamic public IP
addresses for uses? Is this still correct or am I talking BS?

Regards

George

"RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7cm8q$cnk$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using an ATA or IP phone under AOL Broadband? will it work,
> I have memories that AOL connections did not use static or dynamic
> public IP addresses for uses? Is this still correct or am I talking
> BS?
>
> Regards

AOL UK use dynamic IP addresses. If you use an ethernet router, then you
should have no problems. If you don't have a a router yet, go for
Netgear or Speedtouch, because AOL won't even do a line test if you have
an 'un-supported router'.

George

Don Carter

On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:14:31 +0100, "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is anyone using an ATA or IP phone under AOL Broadband? will it work, I have
>memories that AOL connections did not use static or dynamic public IP
>addresses for uses? Is this still correct or am I talking BS?
>
>Regards

I'm on AOL 1Mb Broadband, and I have a public, dynamic IP address.

Don

Ivor Jones

Don Carter wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:14:31 +0100, "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone using an ATA or IP phone under AOL Broadband? will it
>> work, I have memories that AOL connections did not use static or
>> dynamic public IP addresses for uses? Is this still correct or am
>> I talking BS?
>>
>> Regards
>>

> I'm on AOL 1Mb Broadband, and I have a public, dynamic IP address.
>
> Don

I've heard, although I may be wrong, that AOL use American IP addresses so
you might not be able to get a geographic phone number from Sipgate.
Anyone know different..?

Ivor

Don Carter

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:11:57 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don Carter wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 16:14:31 +0100, "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is anyone using an ATA or IP phone under AOL Broadband? will it
>>> work, I have memories that AOL connections did not use static or
>>> dynamic public IP addresses for uses? Is this still correct or am
>>> I talking BS?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>> I'm on AOL 1Mb Broadband, and I have a public, dynamic IP address.
>>
>> Don

>I've heard, although I may be wrong, that AOL use American IP addresses so
>you might not be able to get a geographic phone number from Sipgate.
>Anyone know different..?
>
>Ivor

They do and you can't. Sipgate suggest that you use a friend's
connection to register, when they will then give you a number, and you
can use it from your AOL account. seems daft to me but then, that's
Sipgate.

Daniel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don Carter wrote:
>
> I've heard, although I may be wrong, that AOL use American IP addresses so
> you might not be able to get a geographic phone number from Sipgate.
> Anyone know different..?

They do, but nothing to stop you using a UK proxy server - That's what I did

Daniel