Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Technical questions

Technical questions

Rob

If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
could you please point me in the right direction.

Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system anywhere,
specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
The signalling system etc.

By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
entry place?
Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

--
Rob.

Ivor Jones

news:42928a81$0$569$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
> could you please point me in the right direction.
>
> Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system
> anywhere, specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
> The signalling system etc.

Skype uses a proprietorial protocol, incompatible with anything else..! I
have no idea of the details.

> By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone
> number entry place?
> Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam
> annoying!

Another reason I don't use it <g>

Ivor

Ian

news:42928a81$0$569$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
> could you please point me in the right direction.
>
> Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system anywhere,
> specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
> The signalling system etc.
>
> By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
> entry place?
> Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!
>
> --
> Rob.

Hi

Start here http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....bounty%20skype

then the info you want is at http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

As to the + question , any chance of putting it in some context ie what
"telephone number entry place?" ?

Ian

Philippe Deleye

> By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
> entry place?
> Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

Just type 00 in stead of +
That's how you would dial form any normal phone also, isn't ??

Philippe (Belgium)

Paul D.Smith

Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Paul DS.

David Floyd

In message of Wed, 25 May 2005, Paul D.Smith writes
>Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
>etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Can you please quote the part of the previous post you're replying to so
that we can understand what you're talking about, please.

The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011

DF

Ian

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4294642d$0$299$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
> etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

The UK prefix for international calls is 00 and has been for many years.
so the US is 00 1 and in the UK is 00 44 1234 123456, The + symbol is
dialing is used so you dont need to know the prefix and is mainly used in
mobiles so roaming is easier.
Ian

Linus Surguy

"Paul D.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
>etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Errrm, what!? Many many years ago it used to be 010, but its been 00 for a very
long time now....

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

Paul D.Smith

Bother. Go my UK and my US mixed up again. To answer your question, 00
replaces "+" was the bit I was responding to but I got myself confused with
the US access code.

Sorry,
Paul DS.

Graham

> The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
> countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011
>
> DF

Israel abandoned 00 in favour of 012, 013 & 014 each of which will route
your call via a competing operator.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%