Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoIP all New to me Help required

VoIP all New to me Help required

hatchertim@gmail.com

Hi there

I currently have the setup :

Telewest 2 meg broadband connection
Netgear FR114P router with print server that I use
2 computers connected to the router
Sipgate account
X-lite softphone all set up and running

The whole system is great.

I now want to go one stage further and add a "real" handset that just
"works" so that my wife can use it easily to test it out with the idea
of ditching the regular phone line and standing charge that goes with
it. This is where I need the help from people that have actually used
the products on the market (please)

I could go with the Grandstream BudgeTone 101 IP telephone for about
£50 Is this a good route ? This will however leave me with a wired
solution which will be seen as a step backwards as we have 1 fixed wire
handset and dect cordless phones at the moment, are there any
advantages however this would bring ?

Next we get into the Analogue phone adapter/gateway/router world and
now I really need help.

I could go for the YGW10 or ATA-486 for around the £55 mark, are these
good units ? could I then use my DECT handsets ? can I use an RJ11
splitter and use both the fixed wire and DECT handsets ? and do they
work well (well being no difference from using them on a "regular"
line).

Then we get to the ATA-488 this has an added FXO and FXS port, and we
are up to £95 ish, what will this give me ?

Finally as far as I can see for "sensible" money I could go for the
draytek Vigor 2100 VG for £100 ish, this is a router, wireless to boot
so that would solve another issue that I would sort out in time adding
VOIP connectivity also (two birds and all that) How does this product
compare, does it pass the, no difference to the normal telephone test ?
can I connect the DECT handsets to it ? can I put a regular RJ11
splitter in it and have one wired handset on my desk and the DECT
wireless handsets to wander around the house.

Finally with the last 2 can I use them in conjunction with my current
router to utilise the printer port which currently is set up and
working well.

Money if obviously a factor here, but between all these products I am
looking at "value for money" is the router "worth" it in terms of ease
of use, extra functionality etc. (it obviously adds wireless which is a
bonus). What I don't want to do is spend £50 now, the end up spending
the £100 later as it does not quite do what I need it to, I am sure we
have all done things like this in the past !?!

Or am I missing something and there is something better out there ?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Tim.

The Cable Guy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
<snip>
What I don't want to do is spend £50 now, the end up spending
the £100 later as it does not quite do what I need it to, I am sure we
have all done things like this in the past !?!

Or am I missing something and there is something better out there ?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Tim.

Did you not come accross the Sipura SPA-2100 or SPA-2000? (About £80)

Both very good ATAs that can support 2 Voip accounts & 2 analogue phones.

Then there's the SPA-1001 (2 voip providers, 1 analogue phone port)

> Hi there
>
> I currently have the setup :
>
> Telewest 2 meg broadband connection
> Netgear FR114P router with print server that I use
> 2 computers connected to the router
> Sipgate account
> X-lite softphone all set up and running

> I could go for the YGW10 or ATA-486 for around the £55 mark, are these
> good units ? could I then use my DECT handsets ? can I use an RJ11

The 486 has an internal router I think - and since you have one already,
there is little point to having it. So you could get the cheaper
286 that doesn't have the router and save some money.

(Advanced note - newbie here! - I am not an expert on VoIP!)

> Tim.

hatchertim@gmail.com

Just found these.

Do you have any hands on knowledge of these units or the draytek Vigor
2100 router, this would add wireless, but only one analogue phone, for
about the same cash, but are they as good ? Based on your post would
you recommend the Sipura over all the others ?

Thanks for your help.

Ivor Jones

7 wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I currently have the setup :
>>
>> Telewest 2 meg broadband connection
>> Netgear FR114P router with print server that I use
>> 2 computers connected to the router
>> Sipgate account
>> X-lite softphone all set up and running

>> I could go for the YGW10 or ATA-486 for around the £55 mark, are
>> these good units ? could I then use my DECT handsets ? can I use
>> an RJ11

> The 486 has an internal router I think - and since you have one
> already, there is little point to having it. So you could get the
> cheaper 286 that doesn't have the router and save some money.
>
> (Advanced note - newbie here! - I am not an expert on VoIP!)
>

>> Tim.

The Sipura 1001 or 2000 are far better products than any of the
Grandstream range. Both have capacity for two accounts/phone numbers, the
1001 has a single phone port and you switch between the two numbers with
codes, the 2000 has two physical sockets into which you plug two phones.
Which you choose depends on your needs, for example would you need to be
able to use both lines at the same time, by two different people..? If so
the 1001 would be no use.

Ivor

The Cable Guy

Ivor Jones wrote:
|| 7 wrote:
||| The 486 has an internal router I think - and since you have one
||| already, there is little point to having it. So you could get the
||| cheaper 286 that doesn't have the router and save some money.
||| (Advanced note - newbie here! - I am not an expert on VoIP!)
|| The Sipura 1001 or 2000 are far better products than any of the
|| Grandstream range. Both have capacity for two accounts/phone
|| numbers, the 1001 has a single phone port and you switch between the
|| two numbers with codes, the 2000 has two physical sockets into which
|| you plug two phones. Which you choose depends on your needs, for
|| example would you need to be able to use both lines at the same
|| time, by two different people..? If so the 1001 would be no use.
|| Ivor

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Seconded.

Martin²

Draytek Vigor range is quality kit, at still reasonable prices.
The advantage of the 2100V would be that it's all in one box, which means
you get QoS,
and it will let you make calls either via the VoIP or normal land line, so
you only need one phone and yes you can use DECT phone.
Considering the sipura prices it would be reasonable choice.
Regards,
Martin
(my 2600We hasn't missed a bit in over two years, now 2600VGi as well for
VoIP)

Paul D.Smith

Do you want to be able to call at any time? Do you want to be able to call
999 and have them know where you are? If so, then keep the landline. VoIP
is great for cheap calls where cost is more important that quality &
reliability. Where this is not true, landlines win.

Before anyone says "but big telcos use VoIP under the covers", yes they do,
and they have lots of expensive hardware to ensure reliability, QoS (quality
of service) etc. etc. Your home broadband does _not_ have this and even if
it did, your ISP may not have this on their links to the Internet.

Apart from that, follow the suggestions from other posters and enjoy your
VoIP phone. I'm certainly going to try one at some point so I'm interested
in other posters suggestions - but I'll be keeping the landline!

Paul DS.

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:45:28 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Before anyone says "but big telcos use VoIP under the covers", yes they do,
>and they have lots of expensive hardware to ensure reliability, QoS (quality
>of service) etc. etc. Your home broadband does _not_ have this and even if
>it did, your ISP may not have this on their links to the Internet.

I have four VOIP lines two with Sipgate and the quality is excellent
when they are not down one with Voipfone which is of excellent quality
and never been down yet and one with Just dial only been with JD for a
week but so far nothing short of excellent . I for one will not
entertain another land line in the house once I get rid of my Telewest
line in July the BT lines where got rid of back in February .

Paul D.Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:45:28 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Before anyone says "but big telcos use VoIP under the covers", yes they

do,
> >and they have lots of expensive hardware to ensure reliability, QoS

(quality
> >of service) etc. etc. Your home broadband does _not_ have this and even

if
> >it did, your ISP may not have this on their links to the Internet.

> I have four VOIP lines two with Sipgate and the quality is excellent
> when they are not down one with Voipfone which is of excellent quality
> and never been down yet and one with Just dial only been with JD for a
> week but so far nothing short of excellent . I for one will not
> entertain another land line in the house once I get rid of my Telewest
> line in July the BT lines where got rid of back in February .

As to quality, you're lucky so enjoy. Contention ratios being what they
are, you can't guarentee similar quality for all.

As to 999/112/911, a landline provides the emergency service with an
immediate "the caller is here" identification. VoIP cannot do that because
of the nature of IP being transient/mobile. For example, I can sign up to a
Vonage account in the US but I can guarentee that if I dial 999, one of
three things will happen...

1. I will get a "what the hell is 999" response because Vonage are in the US
where the emergency service is 911
2. I may get through but the operator will be in the US and won't be very
helpful when I say my house in north London, UK, is on fire.
3. I won't be able to use _any_ emergency number.

You are probably not aware that providing emergency service support is a
huge undertaking with regulations beyond imagining. I've seen some VoIP
even go as far as explicitly stating "we don't support it" because they
don't have the resources or infrastructure that such an undertaking
requires.

As I said, if you're happy, good, but understand what you're loosing.

Paul DS