Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Any Asterisk@home experts in?

Any Asterisk@home experts in?

The Cable Guy

I've spent a number of days setting up the server - got it working just the
way I want it.

Then the blooming Hard Drive packed in.

My question - how do I copy the backup files of my working set-up to a new
installation of *@h ?

Ian

"The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I've spent a number of days setting up the server - got it working just

the
> way I want it.
>
> Then the blooming Hard Drive packed in.
>
> My question - how do I copy the backup files of my working set-up to a new
> installation of *@h ?

In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the conf
files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which should be
in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
/var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using mysql
you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of hours
tops

God luck

Ian

The Cable Guy

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
> news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> I've spent a number of days setting up the server - got it working just

> the
>> way I want it.
>>
>> Then the blooming Hard Drive packed in.
>>
>> My question - how do I copy the backup files of my working set-up to a
>> new
>> installation of *@h ?
>>

> In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the conf
> files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which should
> be
> in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
> /var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using mysql
> you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
> cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of
> hours
> tops
>
> God luck
>
> Ian

More than a couple of hours, I fear......

The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I ran
before swapping drives.

I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.

Thanks for your reply..

Ian

"The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsfCje.36468$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
> > news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >> I've spent a number of days setting up the server - got it working just

> > the
> >> way I want it.
> >>
> >> Then the blooming Hard Drive packed in.
> >>
> >> My question - how do I copy the backup files of my working set-up to a
> >> new
> >> installation of *@h ?
> >>

> > In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the

conf
> > files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which should
> > be
> > in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
> > /var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using

mysql
> > you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
> > cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of
> > hours
> > tops
> >
> > God luck
> >
> > Ian
> >

> More than a couple of hours, I fear......
>
> The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I ran
> before swapping drives.
>
> I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.
>
> Thanks for your reply..

What type of file did it create ? it may be that you need unpack it and it
will put the files in the correct location. feel free to call sipgate
(5808154) or email direct ian<AT>cyber-cottage<d0T>co<DoT>uk

Ian

Steve

"The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsfCje.36468$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
>> news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>> I've spent a number of days setting up the server - got it working just

>> the
>>> way I want it.
>>>
>>> Then the blooming Hard Drive packed in.
>>>
>>> My question - how do I copy the backup files of my working set-up to a
>>> new
>>> installation of *@h ?
>>>

>> In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the
>> conf
>> files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which should
>> be
>> in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
>> /var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using
>> mysql
>> you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
>> cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of
>> hours
>> tops
>>
>> God luck
>>
>> Ian
>>

> More than a couple of hours, I fear......
>
> The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I ran
> before swapping drives.
>
> I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.
>
> Thanks for your reply..

If you saved the backup file to a second pc you should be ok. Reload
asterisk, then from the second pc connect to your * and copy the
asteriskathome_backup.tar.gz file back to /var/www/html/maint/backup
overwriting the one already there. Then login as root and cd to that
directory, then run restore-aah. This will restore your backup. You might
have to set the IP address in your * first, as well as changing your root
password and set the local time zone. It'll take all of 5 minutes once * is
reloaded.

regards,

Steve

The Cable Guy

news:d6mtph$bnc$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsfCje.36468$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>
>> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
>>> news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>> the

>>> In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the
>>> conf
>>> files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which should
>>> be
>>> in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
>>> /var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using
>>> mysql
>>> you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
>>> cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of
>>> hours
>>> tops
>>>
>>> God luck
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>

>> More than a couple of hours, I fear......
>>
>> The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I ran
>> before swapping drives.
>>
>> I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply..
>>

> If you saved the backup file to a second pc you should be ok. Reload
> asterisk, then from the second pc connect to your * and copy the
> asteriskathome_backup.tar.gz file back to /var/www/html/maint/backup
> overwriting the one already there. Then login as root and cd to that
> directory, then run restore-aah. This will restore your backup. You
> might have to set the IP address in your * first, as well as changing your
> root password and set the local time zone. It'll take all of 5 minutes
> once * is reloaded.
>
> regards,
>
> Steve

Hello & thanks for your reply.

Yes the backup is saved to a second PC.......................how on earth do
I copy it back to the *@h box?

The Cable Guy

"Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsfCje.36468$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>
>> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)21.com> wrote in message
>> > news3tje.36320$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> > the

>> > In theory if *@H has the same file structure as normal * then all the

> conf
>> > files are in /etc/asterisk directory except the zaptel.conf which
>> > should
>> > be
>> > in /etc and if it uses the internal database then its
>> > /var/lib/asterisk/astdb and that can be copied as well. If its using

> mysql
>> > you will have to copy that as well , also it may be worth checking the
>> > cronjobs thats running as well. Should keep you busy for a coulple of
>> > hours
>> > tops
>> >
>> > God luck
>> >
>> > Ian
>> >

>> More than a couple of hours, I fear......
>>
>> The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I ran
>> before swapping drives.
>>
>> I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply..
>>

> What type of file did it create ? it may be that you need unpack it and it
> will put the files in the correct location. feel free to call sipgate
> (5808154) or email direct ian<AT>cyber-cottage<d0T>co<DoT>uk
>
> Ian

Thank you Ian, I may just take you up on your offer.

Ian

"The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mAJje.36767$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6mtph$bnc$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "The Cable Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsfCje.36468$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >>
> >> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

just

should

the

> >> More than a couple of hours, I fear......
> >>
> >> The annoying thing is, in AMP, there is a "backup" facility. This, I

ran
> >> before swapping drives.
> >>
> >> I fully expected to find a "restore from backup" facility. Alas, no.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your reply..
> >>

> > If you saved the backup file to a second pc you should be ok. Reload
> > asterisk, then from the second pc connect to your * and copy the
> > asteriskathome_backup.tar.gz file back to /var/www/html/maint/backup
> > overwriting the one already there. Then login as root and cd to that
> > directory, then run restore-aah. This will restore your backup. You
> > might have to set the IP address in your * first, as well as changing

your
> > root password and set the local time zone. It'll take all of 5 minutes
> > once * is reloaded.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Hello & thanks for your reply.
>
> Yes the backup is saved to a second PC.......................how on earth

do
> I copy it back to the *@h box?

Hi. USB stick or ftp should be the best bet.
does the machine its on have a ftp server? or does *@h install one ?
or even burn it to cd and mount that on the other machine.

Ian

Steve

> Hello & thanks for your reply.
>
> Yes the backup is saved to a second PC.......................how on earth
> do I copy it back to the *@h box?

If the asterisk and your second pc are networked something like winSCP3
would be easy, get hold of a copy and connect to your * box, it's a bit like
windows explorer so you can copy the file from your pc in explorer, goto
winSCP3 on your pc, connect to your * and paste the backup in the right
folder, get a copy of putty too, with this you can run a terminal window to
your * server on your second pc, use this to login as root, cd to the
directory where the backup is and run restore-aah.

regards,

Steve

The Cable Guy

news:d6o34d$m2$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Hello & thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Yes the backup is saved to a second PC.......................how on earth
>> do I copy it back to the *@h box?
>>

> If the asterisk and your second pc are networked something like winSCP3
> would be easy, get hold of a copy and connect to your * box, it's a bit
> like windows explorer so you can copy the file from your pc in explorer,
> goto winSCP3 on your pc, connect to your * and paste the backup in the
> right folder, get a copy of putty too, with this you can run a terminal
> window to your * server on your second pc, use this to login as root, cd
> to the directory where the backup is and run restore-aah.
>
> regards,
>
> Steve

Thanks - I had tried that yesterday but had no idea where to put it.

Your previous sorted it, so thanks for that.

All back to normal now.

Wish you lived next door!