Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipura SPA3000 in UK

Sipura SPA3000 in UK

aris@my-deja.com

Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?

If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
the power supply?

Bob L

On 20 May 2005 02:06:26 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
>does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
>
>If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
>the power supply?

Price ?
cost of unit + duty + carriage + courier handling costs - then vat on
top of the lot could well be close to the UK normal price.

You may be lucky with the power supply if it is a switched mode one as
many will work from 90volts to 230volts, if not that will be another
expense for you..

Ivor Jones

> Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
> does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
>
> If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems
> besides the power supply?

Can't see why you would. I imported my SPA-2000 from the US and apart from
the PSU having a US plug it works fine. A shaver adaptor fixed that..!

Don't forget Customs & Excise will probably rip you off for import duty
and VAT.....

Ivor

digit

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Any reason why this unit numerically costs the same in pounds as it
> does in dollars? Another case of Rip-off Britain?
>
> If I were to import one from the US - would I have any problems besides
> the power supply?

This happens everytime a company uses a distributer. My guess is that in
the long run SIPURA will lose out as the far east is up and running at this
product NOW..

Stuart Henderson

My SPA3k came with a switched-mode PSU with snap-on adapters available
to fit in different country's sockets, some of the US vendors have the
UK ones. Or like you suggest, a shaver adaptor would do the trick.

VAT and duty isn't too bad, the real rip off is the carrier's brokerage
charges, usually in the order of a tenner.

My spa3k has quite a lot of background noise on the FXS port, if I'd
ordered it from the UK I would have returned it for an exchange, but to
do that to the US is so much of a pain that I've not bothered...

aris@my-deja.com

The prices I mentioned were all ex vat (and US sales tax). Duty is
negligible really.

This is still no excuse for rip-off pricing. I'll just buy different
product, or import one.

aris@my-deja.com

I would seem the same ripoff is being done with the Grandstreem HT-488.

It is US$89.95 here:

http://www.voipsupply.com/product_in...roducts_id=451

And 89.99 here:

http://www.myphonecall.co.uk/voip/te...m/default.aspx

Both these prices EXCLUDE VAT - a blatant ripoff. I've sent
complaints to both Sipura and Grandstream - if anyone else feels this
way, I suggest you do the same.