Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > FCC & 911 services

FCC & 911 services

Linus Surguy

For those interested, the FCC have now offically announced that all VoIP
providers (that provide a VoIP service emulating normal telephone service) in
the US have to offer 'Enhanced' 911 service to their customers within the next
120 days.

Press release here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-258818A1.pdf

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!

Ivor Jones

Linus Surguy wrote:
> For those interested, the FCC have now offically announced that all
> VoIP providers (that provide a VoIP service emulating normal
> telephone service) in the US have to offer 'Enhanced' 911 service
> to their customers within the next 120 days.
>
> Press release here:
>
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-258818A1.pdf
>
> Linus

Interesting. I wonder how they propose to identify the caller's location
when away from home or wherever..? And how do they propose users from
other countries are dealt with when visiting the US..? If I visit my
friends in California next year, which I hope to do, and I take my ATA
programmed with my UK numbers, what would happen if I were to dial 911..?
Or would I be able to dial 999 and get the emergency services in the
UK..?!

Ivor

UKCream

I expect your location will be identified from your ip the same as
Google.com sends you to Google.co.uk when you have a UK ip.

UKCream

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Linus Surguy wrote:
>> For those interested, the FCC have now offically announced that all
>> VoIP providers (that provide a VoIP service emulating normal
>> telephone service) in the US have to offer 'Enhanced' 911 service
>> to their customers within the next 120 days.
>>
>> Press release here:
>>
>> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-258818A1.pdf
>>
>> Linus

> Interesting. I wonder how they propose to identify the caller's location
> when away from home or wherever..? And how do they propose users from
> other countries are dealt with when visiting the US..? If I visit my
> friends in California next year, which I hope to do, and I take my ATA
> programmed with my UK numbers, what would happen if I were to dial 911..?
> Or would I be able to dial 999 and get the emergency services in the
> UK..?!
>
> Ivor

Ivor Jones

UKCream wrote:
> I expect your location will be identified from your ip the same as
> Google.com sends you to Google.co.uk when you have a UK ip.

I noticed that, it never used to. Very annoying.

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Philippe Deleye

> Interesting. I wonder how they propose to identify the caller's location
> when away from home or wherever..? And how do they propose users from
> other countries are dealt with when visiting the US..? If I visit my
> friends in California next year, which I hope to do, and I take my ATA
> programmed with my UK numbers, what would happen if I were to dial 911..?
> Or would I be able to dial 999 and get the emergency services in the
> UK..?!

My understanding is that VOIP providers in the US have to *offer* enhanced
911 service
The customer does not need to take that offer
The enhanced 911 service will *only* be available for those customers who
have subscribed
I guess you will need to tell the VOIP provider to which regional emerency
centre you would like to be connceted wenn you dial 911 from your VOIP
phone
The service will not be available to people not suscribed, or to you wenn
you are a visitor in the US

Philippe
Belgium