Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: VoIP and 999/112 service?

Re: VoIP and 999/112 service?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jet Morgan:
> "Philippe Deleye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:429071a4$0$79463$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> But we were talking about real UK numbers (not special codes)
>> I just repeat myself: You can only call a UK number from abroad wenn
>> dialing the correct international format +44 xxx

> So are you saying that you specifically CAN'T dial 0044 xxx.. or
> whatever (assuming the hosting coutry uses 00 as international
> breakout) ?
>
> Richard [in PE12]

I know in the parts of Europe I have been where they also use 00, I have been
able to dial +44 or 0044 to call back to the UK.

All my numbers are stored in my phone in the international format, makes life
easier.

Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:56:57 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All my numbers are stored in my phone in the international format, makes life
>easier.

indeed, especially in countries like Russia with cranky internal long
distance codes.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Ivor Jones

Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9632 wrote:
> On 21 May 2005 01:34 +0200, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> E.g. for a Sipgate user to call my Sipgate number, they can just
>> dial 660 xyza, rather than 0161 660 xyza. However, you may not
>> know that the called party is on the same network,

> But some have a different form, anyway. Within Sipgate their
> number may be "100 abcd" but for a PSTN number that could be "xxx
> 000 abcd" (I have one myself, matching these number patterns).
> Peter M.

True, but the only range I know of is the London 020 range 020 7043 xxxx
where the SIP number is 143 xxxx but of course there may be others.

Ivor

Julian Thornhill

"Philippe Deleye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428f214f$0$79456$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you are roaming on a mobile you dial exactly as if you were in the UK,
>> although you will usually need to use the + international symbol and
>> country code, i.e. +1 234 567 8901 when calling the US, even if you are
>> there.
>>

> IVOR - THIS IS COMPLETELY UNTRUE
>
> With a mobile phone, if you are roaming, you ALLWAYS need to call the
> number
> as if you were using a local phone.
> You are indeed using the local network, therefore need to behave as a
> local
> Of course, you can allways use the international format, even in your own
> country - which is good practice
>
> e.g
> UK mobile user calling from the UK to a UK number
> -- can dial 01xxxx or +44 1 xxxx
> a UK mobile user, traveling in Belgium, calling the UK
> -- have to dial +44 1 xxxx or 0044 1 xxxx
> a UK mobile user, traveling in Belgium, calling a belgium number
> -- can dial 0 xxxxxx or +32 xxxxxxx

My O2 contract phone does not behave like this when roaming in France. To
call a French number I have to add the international dialling code for
France. Dialling a French number as I would from a French landline phone
fails. I thought I was going mad as I'm sure this did not used to be the
case.