Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > 1899 Will No Longer Support 3rd party clients

1899 Will No Longer Support 3rd party clients

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php

In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from 20.05.2005
Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this date.

Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs, or just they
will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get anything but a standard
reply from them.

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} writes
>http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>
>In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from 20.05.2005
>Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this date.
>

>Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs, or just they
>will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get anything but a standard
>reply from them.

Can they tell what client we're using then?

DF

Dave Gill

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs, or just they
> will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get anything but a standard
> reply from them.

Dunno, but I think their pet client is IAX, so maybe they intend to pull
SIP support?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh David Floyd:
> In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} writes
>> http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>>
>> In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
>> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before
>> this date. Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs,
>> or
>> just they will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get
>> anything but a standard reply from them.
>>

> Can they tell what client we're using then?
>
> DF

That's what I was wondering. Unless they add something hidden into the login
details. Would annoy many people if you are prevented from using 3rd party
programs or VoIP hardware.

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:21:45 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>
>In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from 20.05.2005
>Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this date.

So I download the new s/w. This release installs *properly* (i.e. it
can be removed *properly*) this time.

It configures OK, (if an attempt to use an unregistered phone number
then an error message from 1899 server occurs) with either my 1899
number or my sipgate number. The hardware USB @phone interfaces
perfectly, all phone buttons do the right thing, (thats more than they
did on X-Lite).

Pick up phone, dial in my home landlinenumber, press connect. An 1899
s/w message saying "calling xxxxxxxxx" appears but no ringing heard in
handset, no ringing on landline, then after about 10 seconds an 1899
s/w message saying , "other party disconnect". Hey ho! Just like 403
errors on X-Lite then!

Bugger it back to landline phone and 18866 during daytime.

--
amos

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:21:45 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>>
>> In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
>> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before
>> this date.

> So I download the new s/w. This release installs *properly* (i.e. it
> can be removed *properly*) this time.
>
> It configures OK, (if an attempt to use an unregistered phone number
> then an error message from 1899 server occurs) with either my 1899
> number or my sipgate number. The hardware USB @phone interfaces
> perfectly, all phone buttons do the right thing, (thats more than they
> did on X-Lite).
>
> Pick up phone, dial in my home landlinenumber, press connect. An 1899
> s/w message saying "calling xxxxxxxxx" appears but no ringing heard in
> handset, no ringing on landline, then after about 10 seconds an 1899
> s/w message saying , "other party disconnect". Hey ho! Just like 403
> errors on X-Lite then!
>
> Bugger it back to landline phone and 18866 during daytime.

Same here, still not working on original added numbers, which includes my
landline. Yet add a new number to 1899 and it will work with them.

sandman112

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>
> In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this
> date.
>

> Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs, or just
> they will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get anything but a
> standard reply from them.

ohh well there goes another great idea ... good job i didnt go and fork out
60 quid for a Sipura ata thingy. Looks like its back to the landline for me

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:50:14 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thus spaketh (E-Mail Removed)lid:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:21:45 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>>>
>>> In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>>> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
>>> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before
>>> this date.

>> So I download the new s/w. This release installs *properly* (i.e. it
>> can be removed *properly*) this time.
>>
>> It configures OK, (if an attempt to use an unregistered phone number
>> then an error message from 1899 server occurs) with either my 1899
>> number or my sipgate number. The hardware USB @phone interfaces
>> perfectly, all phone buttons do the right thing, (thats more than they
>> did on X-Lite).
>>
>> Pick up phone, dial in my home landlinenumber, press connect. An 1899
>> s/w message saying "calling xxxxxxxxx" appears but no ringing heard in
>> handset, no ringing on landline, then after about 10 seconds an 1899
>> s/w message saying , "other party disconnect". Hey ho! Just like 403
>> errors on X-Lite then!
>>
>> Bugger it back to landline phone and 18866 during daytime.

>Same here, still not working on original added numbers, which includes my
>landline. Yet add a new number to 1899 and it will work with them.

Registered my sister's phone number with 1899 and configured 1899 new
s/w and X-Lite with the number. Both 1899 new s/w and X-Lite ring my
land line. Revert configurations to my sipgate (log time registered
number) and back to "other party disconnect" from 1899 new s/w and 403
errors on X-Lite.

Having now removed X-Lite from the problem I will report to 1899 that
their new s/w and my phone number(s) don't work but newly registered
ones do, contrary to what they state about voip availability on their
web site.

What will probably happen after I have reported it is that new numbers
will be stopped from working and the old numbers will still not work.

8-(

--
amos

Tim Morley

"sandman112" <sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ckrie.33947$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>>
>> In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
>> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this
>> date.
>>

>> Do they mean, you will no longer be able to use other programs, or just
>> they will not offer help with them. Not that you ever get anything but a
>> standard reply from them.
>>

> ohh well there goes another great idea ... good job i didnt go and fork
> out 60 quid for a Sipura ata thingy. Looks like its back to the landline
> for me

Just what I was thinking, ie trying to get rid of the connection charge!

OxSc

(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:21:45 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php
>>
>>In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
>>discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from 20.05.2005
>>Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this date.

> So I download the new s/w. This release installs *properly* (i.e. it
> can be removed *properly*) this time.
>
> It configures OK, (if an attempt to use an unregistered phone number
> then an error message from 1899 server occurs) with either my 1899
> number or my sipgate number. The hardware USB @phone interfaces
> perfectly, all phone buttons do the right thing, (thats more than they
> did on X-Lite).
>
> Pick up phone, dial in my home landlinenumber, press connect. An 1899
> s/w message saying "calling xxxxxxxxx" appears but no ringing heard in
> handset, no ringing on landline, then after about 10 seconds an 1899
> s/w message saying , "other party disconnect". Hey ho! Just like 403
> errors on X-Lite then!
>
> Bugger it back to landline phone and 18866 during daytime.

I have exactly the same problem, although it used to work fine for me.
It looks as though a select band of 1899 customers are no longer able to
make VOIP calls, and you and I are proud members of that band. Ho hum.