Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate - change number.

Sipgate - change number.

bacillus cereus

> OK so I guess your ISP isn't BTBB. I am not inclined to decode the
> news.individual.net trace field just to find your IP
>
> Thoughts of conspiracy come to mind. Is it BT screwing Sipgate or
> Sipgate screwing BT. I'll have to think about this one!
>
> Thanks for your test of the number change. I will report the problem
> differently to Sipgate.

Have you tried clearing out your temporary files before trying to get
into the number listing? I know when I tried to look at the range of
London numbers, I could only see the Birmingham numbers which I had
previously viewed.

Clear out the cache, works for me.

Chris Blunt

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David Floyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
>>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
>>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
>>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>>>
>>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
>>>

>> That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

>Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.
>
>Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
>will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
>Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
>might get confusing..!

I noticed that when I changed numbers. Presumably that means that the
original phone number which you vacate can never be re-allocated to
another customer.

Chris

Ivor Jones

"Chris Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>>Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP
>>number
>>will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
>>Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another,
>>which
>>might get confusing..!

> I noticed that when I changed numbers. Presumably that means that the
> original phone number which you vacate can never be re-allocated to
> another customer.

Actually it can, although it would probably be offered to someone changing
numbers..!

Ivor

Chris Blunt

On Wed, 18 May 2005 06:51:34 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Chris Blunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[snip]
>
>>>Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP
>>>number
>>>will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
>>>Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another,
>>>which
>>>might get confusing..!

>> I noticed that when I changed numbers. Presumably that means that the
>> original phone number which you vacate can never be re-allocated to
>> another customer.

>Actually it can, although it would probably be offered to someone changing
>numbers..!

Good thinking Ivor. I hadn't considered that possibility!

Chris

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:00:19 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:53:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>[snip]

>>>My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
>>>confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
>>>who is my ISP.

>>Ah, I understand now. As long as you are using an ISP with a UK based IP
>>range then you shouldn't have a problem, this is very strange.

>Yup. David Floyd has tried changing his number and he gets offered UK
>geo numbers. His ISP is Pipex.
>>
>>>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
>>>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
>>>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
>>>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
>>>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>>>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

>>>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
>>>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

>>The only thing I can think of is that there are no numbers currently
>>available in the area code you wish to use. Have you tried selecting a
>>different area to see if a number comes up there..? Some areas like London
>>often have periods where no numbers are available, simply because they are
>>popular and there isn't an unlimited supply.

>I never get offered any UK area codes, only 0845 0870 or German
>numbers.
>>
>>That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
>>problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
>>appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
>>country.
>>
>>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
>>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
>>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
>>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
>>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
>>on IP address.
>>
>>I just tried to obtain an 0114 (Sheffield) number and was successful. I
>>didn't take it of course <g>

>OK so I guess your ISP isn't BTBB. I am not inclined to decode the
>news.individual.net trace field just to find your IP
>
>Thoughts of conspiracy come to mind. Is it BT screwing Sipgate or
>Sipgate screwing BT. I'll have to think about this one!
>
>Thanks for your test of the number change. I will report the problem
>differently to Sipgate.

Replying to my own posting but the good news (for me anyway) is that
Sipgate have admitted to and fixed the problem. BTBB IP range now
allows selection of Sipgate UK geographic numbers.

--
amos