Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate - change number.

Sipgate - change number.

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:20:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
>>>Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
>>>number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
>>>https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>>>
>>>All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.
>>>

>>That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

>Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
>lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
>were offered?
>
>What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

Nothing at all. I was replying David Floyds suggestion that the
problem was probably due to using a non UK based ISP.

--
amos

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:51:14 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
>>
>>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
>>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
>>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
>>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
>>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.
>>
>>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
>>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.
>>
>>That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
>>problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
>>appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
>>country.
>>
>>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
>>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
>>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
>>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
>>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
>>on IP address.
>>

>Yes, I've just tried and I was offered a UK number as well as 0845,0870
>and German. My ISP is Pipex.

Thanks, I will now report the problem differently to Sipgate.

--
amos

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes

>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.
>
>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.
>
>That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
>problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
>appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
>country.
>
>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
>on IP address.

Yes, I've just tried and I was offered a UK number as well as 0845,0870
and German. My ISP is Pipex.

David

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
>On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:20:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes

>>>That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

>>Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
>>lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
>>were offered?
>>
>>What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

>Nothing at all. I was replying David Floyds suggestion that the
>problem was probably due to using a non UK based ISP.

Don't worry, Ivor must be having a funny 5 mins. He knows that you need
a UK ISP too.

David

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

>>You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
>>something..?

>My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
>confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
>who is my ISP.

Ah, I understand now. As long as you are using an ISP with a UK based IP
range then you shouldn't have a problem, this is very strange.

>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

The only thing I can think of is that there are no numbers currently
available in the area code you wish to use. Have you tried selecting a
different area to see if a number comes up there..? Some areas like London
often have periods where no numbers are available, simply because they are
popular and there isn't an unlimited supply.

That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
country.

It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
on IP address.

I just tried to obtain an 0114 (Sheffield) number and was successful. I
didn't take it of course <g>

Try a different area code and see what happens.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:51:14 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

[snip]

>>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
>>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
>>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
>>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
>>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
>>on IP address.
>>

>Yes, I've just tried and I was offered a UK number as well as 0845,0870
>and German. My ISP is Pipex.

Thanks, I will now report the problem differently to Sipgate.

I suspect it is because no numbers are currently available for the area
code you want. Like I said, try a different one and see what happens.
Places like London and Manchester etc. are very popular and the supply of
numbers is limited.

Ivor

NOSPAM@all.invalid

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:53:11 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>>You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
>>>something..?

>>My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
>>confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
>>who is my ISP.

>Ah, I understand now. As long as you are using an ISP with a UK based IP
>range then you shouldn't have a problem, this is very strange.

Yup. David Floyd has tried changing his number and he gets offered UK
geo numbers. His ISP is Pipex.

>>To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
>>change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
>>My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
>>GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
>>on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
>>only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

>>I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
>>the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

>The only thing I can think of is that there are no numbers currently
>available in the area code you wish to use. Have you tried selecting a
>different area to see if a number comes up there..? Some areas like London
>often have periods where no numbers are available, simply because they are
>popular and there isn't an unlimited supply.

I never get offered any UK area codes, only 0845 0870 or German
numbers.

>That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
>problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
>appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
>country.
>
>It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
>and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
>the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
>whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
>anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
>on IP address.
>
>I just tried to obtain an 0114 (Sheffield) number and was successful. I
>didn't take it of course <g>

OK so I guess your ISP isn't BTBB. I am not inclined to decode the
news.individual.net trace field just to find your IP

Thoughts of conspiracy come to mind. Is it BT screwing Sipgate or
Sipgate screwing BT. I'll have to think about this one!

Thanks for your test of the number change. I will report the problem
differently to Sipgate.

--
amos

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:17:46 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just had by first bill too!
>
>It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05
>
>I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.
>
>All OK so far.

What is the score regarding calls do we get any free calls or not
can't seem to find any info regarding this .

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
>On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:17:46 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>Just had by first bill too!
>>
>>It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05
>>
>>I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.
>>
>>All OK so far.

>What is the score regarding calls do we get any free calls or not
>can't seem to find any info regarding this .

It's on their web page.

You get 75mins UK 01/02 OffPeak/weekend.

What's not clear is whether this is per call or per month.

David

dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:01:49 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You get 75mins UK 01/02 OffPeak/weekend.
>
>What's not clear is whether this is per call or per month.
>
>David

I shall drop them a mail and try to get this clarified .