Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip adaptor question

voip adaptor question

Tim Morley

Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection that
will:

1) take incoming call via phone
2) make outgoing calls via 1899
3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
4) make 999 calls via land line?

TIA

Get a free IPod Mini
http://www.freeipoduk.co.uk/index.php?REFID=78563

Get paid for consumer surveys with SAROS
http://www.sarosresearch.com/sarosfo...s.asp?id=51011

VoceSuIP.com

news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000

--
http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum

Tim Morley

"VoceSuIP.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
>> that will:
>>
>> 1) take incoming call via phone
>> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
>> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
>> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

> Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
>
> --
> http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
> Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum

Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it "invisible"
to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you just call a
local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at the moment).
Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using one?

Ivor Jones

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:dRwge.30288$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "VoceSuIP.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>> message news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline
>>> connection that will:
>>>
>>> 1) take incoming call via phone
>>> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
>>> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
>>> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

>> Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
>>
>> --
>> http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
>> Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum
>>

> Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it
> "invisible" to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you
> just call a local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at
> the moment). Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using
> one?

Not sure what you mean by "uk version"..? You just program it with the
parameters required for your service provider. If you mean the power
supply, then it would depend on which country you bought it in, I have a
Sipura SPA-2000 bought in the US, it obviously came with a US plug on the
supply, but it's universal voltage so an adaptor soon sorted that out.

The number you dial depends on whether you're connected to a POTS line or
the VoIP line. You could of course program all memories to dial the full
code anyway, this isn't a problem on POTS lines.

My 2000 doesn't have a POTS port so I have no experience of this, I don't
need it on my system (VoIP "lines" fed into a PABX where they appear
alongside the POTS lines).

Ivor

Martin²

Tim,
you may want read my post under Draytek 2600V VoIP QoS.
Regards,
Martin

Stephane M

Have a look on :
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr...ct_id=LNKNA048
QH

The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:dRwge.30288$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >
> > "VoceSuIP.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> >> message news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> >> Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
> >> Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum
> >>

> > Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it
> > "invisible" to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you
> > just call a local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at
> > the moment). Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using
> > one?

> Not sure what you mean by "uk version"..? You just program it with the
> parameters required for your service provider. If you mean the power
> supply, then it would depend on which country you bought it in, I have a
> Sipura SPA-2000 bought in the US, it obviously came with a US plug on the
> supply, but it's universal voltage so an adaptor soon sorted that out.
>
> The number you dial depends on whether you're connected to a POTS line or
> the VoIP line. You could of course program all memories to dial the full
> code anyway, this isn't a problem on POTS lines.
>
> My 2000 doesn't have a POTS port so I have no experience of this, I don't
> need it on my system (VoIP "lines" fed into a PABX where they appear
> alongside the POTS lines).
>
> Ivor

Thomas Sandford

Tim Morley <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "VoceSuIP.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
> >> that will:
> >>
> >> 1) take incoming call via phone
> >> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
> >> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
> >> 4) make 999 calls via land line?

> > Take a look here http://www.sipura.com SPA-3000
> >

> Looks promising, but is there a uk version. Main question is it "invisible"
> to a user of a dect phone system connected to it. ie can you just call a
> local number with no local code (as with my orchid dialer at the moment).
> Would it fall back to POTS automatically etc. Anyone using one?

I have one and use it in a vaguely similar way to your proposal (including
stringing a DECT off it).

It will certainly do 1,2,4.

It has an automatic fallback to PSTN for outgoing calls if power is down, but
not IIRC if VOIP is not responding.

You can also set up a dial plan that would route 999/112/local calls via
POTS.

It's a very nice pice of kit, though programming it is somewhat reminiscent
of writing pre-m4 sendmail configurations [that's unkind, but it is certainly
quite a complex beast].

The only problem I have with it is that I find the combination with the
particular DECT I am using leads to a slightly noisy line. I probably haven't
quite got the UK localisation right though - this is probably the most complex
single thing to get correct.

--
Thomas Sandford | ${thomas/03$}@paradisegreen.co.uk
Paradise Green Technical Services: S'ware/Hw design and Theatre Tech. Services

Martin²

Stephane M:

>The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

Certainly cheaper then Sipura, though it doesn't appear to allow multiple
registrars.
The trouble with ATA's they can't do pass-trough to PSTN line, so too many
phone, too much wiring, another power adapter...
Regards,
Martin

VoceSuIP.com

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4283fb89$0$555$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephane M:
>
>>The Linksys PAP2 seems to be OK !!

> Certainly cheaper then Sipura, though it doesn't appear to allow multiple
> registrars.
> The trouble with ATA's they can't do pass-trough to PSTN line, so too many
> phone, too much wiring, another power adapter...

Fritz!Box Fon till 10 registration

--
http://www.vocesuip.com Forum sul VoIP - Appena Nato - (in Italiano)
Aiutateci a fare crescere questo Forum

Tim Morley

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:y0wge.30216$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection
> that will:
>
> 1) take incoming call via phone
> 2) make outgoing calls via 1899
> 3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
> 4) make 999 calls via land line?
>
> TIA

> Get a free IPod Mini
> http://www.freeipoduk.co.uk/index.php?REFID=78563
>
> Get paid for consumer surveys with SAROS
> http://www.sarosresearch.com/sarosfo...s.asp?id=51011

Thanks for the input so far. How about this one:

http://www.grandstream.com/y-ht488.htm

I have looked at the FAQ below (the ht488 has the FXO bit) but I am still
unclear as to if an incoming call via standard phone line will ring the
"phone" plugged into the adaptor. I think it will, but not 100% sure !
I assume no probs with using 1899 voip?
Also will it pass through caller id to my siemens dect phone system?

16. What is the difference between FXO and PSTN Pass-Through ports?

PSTN Pass through port:
What it can do:
- Local manual switching between PSTN and IP mode on a per call basis.
- User can switch to PSTN line by pressing *00 (or the configured
strings) for each call before they are placed. The device will revert back
to the default IP mode once the phone is hung up.
- It can allow a PSTN call to ring/call the phone connected to the FXS
port.
- It also serves as a life line in case of power outage.
What it CANNOT do:
- Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
- Allow a call from PSTN to route other VoIP devices (different from
the FXS phone) over the IP network
- Automatically route calls made by the local user to PSTN line

Note: On the HT-486 Rev 1.0, the PSTN port is only a life line port
that switches to PTSN only on loss of power.

FXO port:
It can support all the functions of a PSTN pass through plus:
- Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
- Allow a PSTN call to call either the FXS phone or other VoIP devices
over the IP network
- Route call automatically and transparently to PSTN line according to
user configuration