Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Ongoing Vonage problems

Ongoing Vonage problems

Boborann

I've been having problems with my vonage account since Friday ( 4 days)
and wanted to share my dissapointing experience and see if others had
similar problems
On Friday I could not call my vonage number and recieved a variety of
message deprnding on what phone line I used to call in. Basicaly they
al said " sorry can't reach teh number dialed try again"
I then called Vonage's tech support only to get the voice message
"everybody is busy call later"after no other options
so I try teh 7X24X365 online assistant who telld me to call the 800#
and I again get "everybody is busy call later"after no other options
so I finally call and use teh option to open an account and after
demanding teh person either get me tech support or cancel my account I
waited for 40 minutes to get to a barely understandable help desk
person in Mexico who told me this was a known Problem they are dealing
with.
I asked why it wasn't on their webpage or emailed to me and other
users.

Well things started working sometime saturday and now about half the
times I get an incoming call I cannot hear the caller so rather than
call vonage I simply stste that I have a crappy Vonage account and they
need call a couple of times before I can actually hear them

I was so high on Vonage when I first got it a few months ago but this
experience has me wanting out and telling people to stay away
Anyone had similar experiences?
BOb

bhamm4254@hughes.net

I signed up for vonage 2 months ago and have never been able to talk to
people I call. I can recieve calls and hear and talk normal. Every time
I call and wait 25-45 min. I get an answer to talk to my ISP. When I
talk to my ISP ( hughes.net) they tell me that my service is above
average. I finally got fed up and called to cancell and they tell me if
I cancel I have to pay 139 dollars (before 3 months) If I wait another
month it will only be 39 dollars. I think this is rotten since I have
never been able to make any calls. I would never recommend this service
to ANYBODY. Especialy Hughes satillite users.

Rick Merrill

> I signed up for vonage 2 months ago and have never been able to talk to
> people I call. I can recieve calls and hear and talk normal. Every time
> I call and wait 25-45 min. I get an answer to talk to my ISP. When I
> talk to my ISP ( hughes.net) they tell me that my service is above
> average. I finally got fed up and called to cancell and they tell me if
> I cancel I have to pay 139 dollars (before 3 months) If I wait another
> month it will only be 39 dollars. I think this is rotten since I have
> never been able to make any calls. I would never recommend this service
> to ANYBODY. Especialy Hughes satillite users.

Cell phone to your Voip provider and have them wait for a "call" from
you on "their" "service". You have to prove to them that your outgoing
calls are going into the bit bucket.

William P.N. Smith

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>I signed up for vonage 2 months ago and have never been able to talk to
>people I call.

[...]
>talk to my ISP ( hughes.net) they tell me that my service is above
>average.

[...]
>Especialy Hughes satillite users.

Yeah, residential satellite 'broadband' and VOIP really don't go
together, I'm surprised neither Vonage nor Hughes bothered to tell you
that.

Stephen Adams

William P.N. Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>I signed up for vonage 2 months ago and have never been able to talk to
>>people I call.

>[...]
>>talk to my ISP ( hughes.net) they tell me that my service is above
>>average.

>[...]
>>Especialy Hughes satillite users.

>Yeah, residential satellite 'broadband' and VOIP really don't go
>together, I'm surprised neither Vonage nor Hughes bothered to tell you
>that.

I wonder if that's what he meant when Vonage said "talk to your ISP" - I
suspect that they understand the issue and sent him off to Hughes for
help...which isn't going to be much help because of the nature of the
connection...

-Stephen

--
Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
(E-Mail Removed) (remove SPAM to reply)

James

Had the same problem today. When I recieved a call message kept saying it
was not an active phone number. Called customer service and spoke to a nice
woman in India, what she said I don't know, couldn't undertstand a word she
said. Finally hung up on me. Great customer service Vonage has.

James

"Boborann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been having problems with my vonage account since Friday ( 4 days)
> and wanted to share my dissapointing experience and see if others had
> similar problems
> On Friday I could not call my vonage number and recieved a variety of
> message deprnding on what phone line I used to call in. Basicaly they
> al said " sorry can't reach teh number dialed try again"
> I then called Vonage's tech support only to get the voice message
> "everybody is busy call later"after no other options
> so I try teh 7X24X365 online assistant who telld me to call the 800#
> and I again get "everybody is busy call later"after no other options
> so I finally call and use teh option to open an account and after
> demanding teh person either get me tech support or cancel my account I
> waited for 40 minutes to get to a barely understandable help desk
> person in Mexico who told me this was a known Problem they are dealing
> with.
> I asked why it wasn't on their webpage or emailed to me and other
> users.
>
> Well things started working sometime saturday and now about half the
> times I get an incoming call I cannot hear the caller so rather than
> call vonage I simply stste that I have a crappy Vonage account and they
> need call a couple of times before I can actually hear them
>
> I was so high on Vonage when I first got it a few months ago but this
> experience has me wanting out and telling people to stay away
> Anyone had similar experiences?
> BOb

DPBNEWORK DPBNEWORK is offline
Junior Member

I signed us up for telephone service using VONAGE.COM VoIP service on 04/10/2006. I was excited to keep some money in our pocket. Unfortunately, THIS IS NOT TRUE.

VONAGE.COM gave us a vitual number that was suppose to be transferred in, 10 days, but their website stated it could take as many as 20 days. Here we are, 43 days later, original phone number still NOT transferred, we've missed important business calls directed at our original phone number, VONAGE.COM has charged us 69.44 for services that we are not able to utilize, customer services has been lousy with excessive wait times and transferring (juggling) calls to other customer service representatives. (3+ HOURS) After speaking to KATHERINE, PATRICIA, DANNY, TONY, RON, PATRICIA and SHARON nothing was resolved. I explained to RON that I wanted a full refund and cancellation and that I would send the hardware back to them and he placed me on hold for another 30 minutes until I released the call.

I cancelled the service and they charged me another 109.00, for the modem and recovery fees. 179.42 total.

My reasons for TERMINATING VONAGE.COM:

1. Abhorrant "Customer Care" and service.

2. Number transfer was not completed, 30 business days.

3. My loss ($$$$) of business due to the number not being changed.
4. EXCESSIVE TRANSFERS and holds for 3+ hours.

5. Charging me for a service I did not want, a virtual number and
not my original number.

6. Patronizing "Customer Care" representatives.

7. Customer Care Services is not authorized to change anything with your account. I do not know what they have to offer except ESCALATING the problem and assigning you a new trouble ticket.

8. Finally, they charged me $109.98 in account termination fees. A grand total of $179.42.

I've notified and filed a complaint with BBB.ORG. I've filed a complaint with the FCC. I've emailed ASKASA. I have disputed the charges on my credit card.

"Thank you for your loyalty as a customer" and "We appreciate your loyalty as a customer" should be stricken from their TROUBLESHOOTING network.

Vonage.com is a LEMON. And their customer care unit is atrocious.

AndyP

I agree, this company is definitely is not the people's champion

I joined them 6 months ago, nothing was mentioned about the
cancellation fee. I'm sure if you go through the entire literature, you
might find a small mention somewhere. But come on man, play by ethics,
something like this has to be mentioned up ahead.

1) Now I'm required to pay a cancellation fee
2) None of their phone numbers give you an option to cancel. You have
to finally reach a customer service rep who would give another number
to call. When I called this numbe I had to wait more than half hour
before they answered.

I would never trust a company who plays games like this. A DEFINITE NO
NO.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I signed up for vonage 2 months ago and have never been able to talk to
> people I call. I can recieve calls and hear and talk normal. Every time
> I call and wait 25-45 min. I get an answer to talk to my ISP. When I
> talk to my ISP ( hughes.net) they tell me that my service is above
> average. I finally got fed up and called to cancell and they tell me if
> I cancel I have to pay 139 dollars (before 3 months) If I wait another
> month it will only be 39 dollars. I think this is rotten since I have
> never been able to make any calls. I would never recommend this service
> to ANYBODY. Especialy Hughes satillite users.

magic848 magic848 is offline
Junior Member
Location: NC

What is the best leverage/action to use to cancel, return router, and not get charged so much money?

I await a call from Vonage's "emergency response team". Allow me to share just some of my nightmare with Vonage.

1) Could only get one phone jack to work in my house, and quality was poor at best.
2) My 4 year old laptop was rendered obsolete and consequently I had to properly choose to buy a new one (resultant from DOS prompts I was directed to make by Vonage's tech support, that prohibited connecting to my office network. 3 different computer experts could not successfully troubleshoot, and Vonage was of no help on the matter).
3) Under Vonage's direction, I was standing in the freezing rain with a screwdriver in the Bell South phone electrical box on the side of my house (part of one day's 3.5 hours of phone calls). I asked tech support if I might get electrocuted, and he said "I don't think so, but you might get shocked". As I desribed to him the myriad of wires, he then informed me his 25 minutes of tech time "was up" and he needed to transfer me. I pleaded with him not to do so (he spoke clear english), describing my my long-term efforts/futility/frustration with Vonage and he HUNG UP on me! Then I took digital pictures of the internal wiring of my phone box, called tech support for the umpteenth time, waited on hold for the standard 30 to 45 minutes, got transferred 2 more times, got an intelligent sounding person, emailed him the pictures, and went through all kinds of troubleshooting with his direction. This effort did not help in any way.
4) For every contact reason, I was constantly transferred, most every phone call, to people that were extremely difficult, if not impossible to understand (english language please?)
5) The web site does not provide a means (that I can find) by which to attempt to rectify any matters. The emails I sent were never returned or acknowledged.
6) By mistake, early on, I was emailed that my account had been canceled.
7) My wife and I spent days and weeks, and eventually months trying to get our Vonage service working properly. It was clear Vonage could not provide phone service to more than one phone jack in my house, nor could that line be counted upon to provide clear reception/transmission. I have since switched service successfully, but Vonage continues to charge my credit card (will surely have to dispute).
Total estimated time and expense damage are in the thousands of $'s.
9) My new phone service provider, Time Warner Cable (digital), instructed me I need not contact Vonage; that they would do so. I was relieved to hear that, but naively so. Well, they were incorrect, and although they notified Vonage, I just received my credit card statement and Vonage continues to charge me monthly.

If anyone has been successful in returning their router, and not being charged, and/or received credit for completely unacceptable service, I would greatly appreciate learning how you did so.
And some words of advice, if you use any network, do not allow Vonage to guide you through DOS prompts!!! (ip release/config, etc.)

My "relationship" with Vonage has been, and continues to be, the worst experience I have ever had with any company. As a very long time owner of 12 auto service franchises, I have had many service and contractual relationships and experiences.

Hopefully my experience will help others somehow, and hopefully someone has been successful in not paying through the nose for a service that did not deliver, and will spend a moment to provide me with some advice. I have enabled my email address for any direct email response.

WooHooo, WooHooBoo!

"Magic" Matt