Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > will phones work during blackout

will phones work during blackout

Rick Merrill

good article:

http://www.technologyreview.com/TR/w...22,323,p1.html

EventHelix.com

Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
would not be operational during a disaster.

--
EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
Telecom System Design and Call Flow Modeling Tool

Jonathan Roberts

Or I suppose any service utilizing satellite connectivity. ie. Internet via
satellite and then VoIP lines. I have been pondering this since Katrina ...

Jonathan

"EventHelix.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
> All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
> would not be operational during a disaster.
>
> --
> EventStudio System Designer 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
> Telecom System Design and Call Flow Modeling Tool

Ivor Jones

"EventHelix.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service
> during disasters. All other technologies have
> considerable local infrastructure that would not be
> operational during a disaster.

Provided you have access to a supply of batteries.

Ivor

Onion Knight

"EventHelix.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
> All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
> would not be operational during a disaster.

Two words:

Smoke signals.

--
OK

-mhd

"Onion Knight" <dioneo(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

>"EventHelix.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Only satellite phones can provide a reliable service during disasters.
>> All other technologies have considerable local infrastructure that
>> would not be operational during a disaster.
>>

> Two words:
>
>Smoke signals.

No good in a hurricane
-mhd

PyGTK color blackout egbert Python 0 10-23-2005 09:25 PM
blackout hopsing Microsoft Certification 1 08-22-2003 12:19 AM
blackout and security anon Computer Security 1 08-17-2003 03:39 PM
OT: Blackout 2003, computer power issues? fitwell Computer Support 5 08-16-2003 11:29 PM

Advertisments