Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Notebook security cables - advice wanted

Reply
Thread Tools

Notebook security cables - advice wanted

 
 
Nozza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2005
I am looking at getting a notebook computer. I have looked online and
quite like the look of the Sony Vaio TX range.

I would like to get a security cable to prevent the notebook from
being taken from the desk whilst I am away.

Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
use.

Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?

Thanks

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:57:02 +0100, Nozza wrote:

>I am looking at getting a notebook computer. I have looked online and
>quite like the look of the Sony Vaio TX range.


Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
features I need?

>I would like to get a security cable to prevent the notebook from
>being taken from the desk whilst I am away.


Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,

Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
Sony Vaio TX security lock

>Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
>use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
>use.
>
>Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?


Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
it's a standard.

A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
Dell laptop.

>And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?


They are all pretty much the same, some use keys (Kensington), some
combination (Maplins) locks, some have 1 lock others have 2
(Kensington).

The maplin cable didn't fit the dell laptop.

>Thanks
>
>Noz


Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nozza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:52 GMT, why?
<fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

>Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
>the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
>features I need?


I've had a look for the manual, but there is no mention on the info
online as to whether there is a locking port.

So do you know whether Vaios have the slot?

>Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,


>Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
>Sony Vaio TX security lock


Which is why I asked here. I don't fancy looking through 358,000
sites.

>
>>Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
>>use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
>>use.
>>
>>Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?

>
>Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
>computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
>it's a standard.


But if the slot isn't in the notebook....

>A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
>Dell laptop.


But what about a Vaio?

>
>>And can anyone recommend a keyed cable which is good value?

>
>They are all pretty much the same, some use keys (Kensington), some
>combination (Maplins) locks, some have 1 lock others have 2
>(Kensington).


So which would you recommend?

>The maplin cable didn't fit the dell laptop.


Would it fit the Vaio?

Thanks for the reply.
--
Email (ROT13)
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:26:13 +0100, Nozza wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:52 GMT, why?
><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>
>>Without the model number to check the online manuals. You have gone past
>>the it looks good bit and checked the Sony site for - it has the
>>features I need?

>
>I've had a look for the manual, but there is no mention on the info
>online as to whether there is a locking port.


Try comp.sys.laptops

Tell Sony that, they can do something about it, I can't. Make a point of
it's an important feature and they don't say it does or not.

>So do you know whether Vaios have the slot?


Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.

>>Try Google , Lycos, Yahoo - search for example from Google,

>
>>Results 1 - 10 of about 358,000 English pages for
>>Sony Vaio TX security lock

>
>Which is why I asked here. I don't fancy looking through 358,000
>sites.


You don't have to, the most relevant hits are usually listed first.

>>>Do Vaio computers have the hole in them for security locks? I used to
>>>use a Toshiba which had a cable I could lock to it. It was easy to
>>>use.
>>>
>>>Would the same sort of cable work with a Vaio?


Read the 1st line below......
>>Haven't seen a cable limited to 1 specific device. Maybe that the 1st
>>computer industry standard, remove the software, make it simple and hey
>>it's a standard.

>
>But if the slot isn't in the notebook....


Doesn't matter, because you wouldn't then maybe buy it or a security
cable you couldn't use.

>>A Kensington cable fits a Cisco firewall, a Dell docking station and a
>>Dell laptop.

>
>But what about a Vaio?


Now you are losing the plot, and repeating and repeating your question
for some reason.

<snip>

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nozza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:09:38 GMT, why?
<fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

>Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.


Yawn. That's why I posted here...

Noz

--
Email (ROT13)
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:01:15 +0100, Nozza wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:09:38 GMT, why?
><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
>
>>Does it look like it? Find a Sony dealer ask it's not that difficult.

>
>Yawn. That's why I posted here...


That's your problem, goto the laptop group posted earlier.

>Noz


Well you see how many other attempts to try and help you have had.

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belkin N1 Wireless USB Adapter (F5D8051 ver 2010uk) and Channel 13. Notes on Pre-N Notebook card (F5D8010 ver 1001uk), Wireless G Notebook card (F5D7011 ver 1000uk) and Wireless G Plus router (F5D7231-4 ver 3000uk) John Wireless Networking 1 07-27-2009 08:41 AM
are all 350mhz cables cat6 cables? yawnmoth Computer Information 0 08-10-2006 04:46 PM
Medion Notebook FID2130 MD41349! The notebook comes to a halt when listening to music snake25790@yahoo.de Computer Support 1 02-12-2006 03:56 AM
HELP WANTED HELP WANTED HELP WANTED Harvey ASP .Net 1 07-16-2004 01:12 PM
HELP WANTED HELP WANTED HELP WANTED Harvey ASP .Net 0 07-16-2004 10:00 AM



Advertisments