Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Onchip SRAM Vs Registers

Onchip SRAM Vs Registers

john.deepu@gmail.com

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what is the threshold point(memory size) to opt
for Onchip SRAM instead of FlipFlops , considering the Power&Area. In a
module I have ~5Kbit of memory implemented as verilog registers. I
would like to know the Power/Area savings if I switch to SRAM instead
of Flipflops. I use .13u process.
Any links/documents in this regard are highly welcome.
Thanks
Deepu John

Peter Alfke

John, your question seems to relate to ASIC design. This newsgroup
deals with FPGAs where you select and then use a given architecture.
That means the trade-offs are different.
Modern FPGAs have SRAM blocks of various sizes, from 512 bits to 18 k
bits and even larger. Xilinx offers the RAM option in the Look-up
Tables (LUTs), which can even be used as shift registers.
The designer's decision is to use available resources, not to design
latches or flip-flops.
This can lead to peculiar design optimizations when a certain resource
is abundant and not all used, e.g. BlockRAMs.
5k bit fits very comfortably in one 18 kbit dual-ported BlockRAM, but
would take an inordinate amount of LUTs, even at 16 bits per LUT. You
decide.
Peter Alfke, Xilinx

Simulation Model for SRAM ALuPin VHDL 2 02-22-2004 03:05 AM
How do I model a 6T SRAM cell in VHDL KM VHDL 1 12-05-2003 08:30 PM
Reading back SRAM content via JTAG? moe VHDL 3 11-16-2003 02:22 PM
SRAM vs Cache Michael VHDL 4 09-22-2003 08:31 AM
write data to Sram and then read to PC sarah VHDL 1 08-13-2003 10:08 PM

Advertisments