Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is YEnc?

What is YEnc?

John Jones

How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

dadiOH

John Jones wrote:
> How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

Decode them.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

unluckylanding

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:55:51 GMT, "John Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

http://www.geocities.com/altbinaries...ical/yenc.html

Unk

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:55:51 GMT, "John Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

What is yEnc?
http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

yEnc links and information:
http://www.brawnylads.com/yproxy
http://www.smr-usenet.com/software/misc.shtml Download "The Yenc utilities". They include
yencpowerpost, yenc for Agent, ydecode, yencode and more
http://www.yenc.org
http://www.yenc32.com
http://code.blitzaffe.com/delphi/
http://www.uwekeller.de/index.html...giganews free newsreader
http://www.co.jyu.fi/~ap/bnr.html freeware
http://xnews.newsguy.com

Agent is probably the best, and well worth the money. http://www.forteinc.com
Full/Free Agent (try/buy) ftp://ftp3.forteinc.com/pub/agent/en...enu310-783.exe

gangle

"John Jones" wrote
> How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

yEnc is not a form of multimedia.

yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
converted to text for uploading and downloading:
With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
just doesn't give a **** about OE as a newsreader.

With OE, you must use a third-party program to
acheive this, the easiest being yProxy:
http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

It would be more practical to just switch, at least for
the purpose of BINARY retrieval, to a dedicated newsreader
which will handle yEnc internally, such as:

Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
Xnews (free):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Gravity (free):
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ty/start1.html
For $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
for downloading binaries:
http://www.newsbin.com/ .

(You could still use OE as an email program to view/post
to text-only NGs, while using one of the above programs
to retrieve binaries.)