Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking Prob

Networking Prob

Geoff

Windows XP

I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
into my network places on the main computer and select
Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
back?

Thanks

Marc

Geoff wrote:
> Windows XP
>
> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
> into my network places on the main computer and select
> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
> back?
>
> Thanks

Since Windows is probably installed on your C:\ drive, I think this is a
security measure. If you need some files from that drive you should try
sharing that specific folder.

Duane Arnold

Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Windows XP
>
> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
> into my network places on the main computer and select
> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
> back?

Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id account
you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder or
file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive, folder
or file will cancel each other out and one account may supersede all
other accounts such as your account that has Admin rights full access
read, write and delete permissions is being circumvented by another
account on the drive, folder or file like the Everyone account that has
Read only permissions. So in this case, the Everyone account is going to
stop writing of a file even though the account you're using has full
access, as an example. So check the user accounts and their access rights
on the drive, folder or file for conflicts.

If you think it's due to a .NET application you have installed, you may
be you need to give the Machine/ASPNET account full permission for access
or it's not present on the drive, folder or file.

You reinstalling XP is NOT going to correct anything as you have some
kind of user account permissions conflict that is denying access.

Duane

Geoff

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:44:10 +0200, Marc
<Marc*dot*hulsebosch*at*gmail*dot*com> wrote:

>Geoff wrote:
>> Windows XP
>>
>> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
>> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
>> into my network places on the main computer and select
>> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
>> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
>> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
>> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
>> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
>> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
>> back?
>>
>> Thanks

>Since Windows is probably installed on your C:\ drive, I think this is a
>security measure. If you need some files from that drive you should try
>sharing that specific folder.

Not really the answer I was looking for, the C drive is
shared at root level and it worked before (Only program
files not accessible for security). Thanks anyway.

Geoff

Geoff

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Windows XP
>>
>> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
>> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
>> into my network places on the main computer and select
>> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
>> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
>> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
>> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
>> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
>> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
>> back?
>>

>Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id account

It is NTFS

>you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder or
>file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive, folder
>or file will cancel each other out and one account may supersede all
>other accounts such as your account that has Admin rights full access
>read, write and delete permissions is being circumvented by another
>account on the drive, folder or file like the Everyone account that has
>Read only permissions. So in this case, the Everyone account is going to
>stop writing of a file even though the account you're using has full
>access, as an example. So check the user accounts and their access rights
>on the drive, folder or file for conflicts.

There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
..net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
put it's user account back.

>If you think it's due to a .NET application you have installed, you may
>be you need to give the Machine/ASPNET account full permission for access
>or it's not present on the drive, folder or file.
>
>You reinstalling XP is NOT going to correct anything as you have some
>kind of user account permissions conflict that is denying access.
>
>Duane

Geoff

Duane Arnold

Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> Windows XP
>>>
>>> I cannot access the c drive of my main computer from
>>> another, but I can access the other shared drives. If I go
>>> into my network places on the main computer and select
>>> Entire Network\MSWindows network\ and the mshome workgroup
>>> the same thing happens, I get a "not accessible, you do not
>>> have permission to access this drive" but the other drives
>>> are ok. I reinstalled windows and it worked fine until I
>>> installed a program with some dot net stuff on it, I suspect
>>> that's where the problem is. Any ideas on how to get it
>>> back?
>>>

>>Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id
>>account

> It is NTFS
>
>>you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder
>>or file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive,
>>folder or file will cancel each other out and one account may
>>supersede all other accounts such as your account that has Admin
>>rights full access read, write and delete permissions is being
>>circumvented by another account on the drive, folder or file like the
>>Everyone account that has Read only permissions. So in this case, the
>>Everyone account is going to stop writing of a file even though the
>>account you're using has full access, as an example. So check the user
>>accounts and their access rights on the drive, folder or file for
>>conflicts.

> There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
> .net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
> because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
> it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
> reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
> put it's user account back.

I suggest that you reinstall the .Net Framework on the machine. That will
put the ASPNET user account back on the machine. There is more than just
your Admin account being used on the machine. There is the Everyone
account most users just ignore but is dangerous and others like the
System account being used by the O/S. ASPNET is like the O/S's System
account. You as a user of the machine do not interact with those kinds of
accounts. The O/S and programs running on the machine use those kinds of
accounts. ASPNET account you may have to manually set for a directory if
the installing application is not doing it for you.

You mau have to uninstall the .Net Framework and the install it again to
get things right with the ASPNET account, which must be used by any .NET
application/program.

I still think you may have a user account conflict with the Everyone
account that may only have read access for a folder or whatever and
circumventing all other accounts even the Admin.

Take not on the accounts in the link like Everyone and Autenticated User.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane

Geoff

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:34:50 GMT, Duane Arnold
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:47:45 GMT, Duane Arnold
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>>Most likely, you're using NTFS on the drive and whatever user-id
>>>account

>> It is NTFS
>>
>>>you're using doesn't have the permissions to access the drive, folder
>>>or file. Sometimes permissions for accounts that can access a drive,
>>>folder or file will cancel each other out and one account may
>>>supersede all other accounts such as your account that has Admin
>>>rights full access read, write and delete permissions is being
>>>circumvented by another account on the drive, folder or file like the
>>>Everyone account that has Read only permissions. So in this case, the
>>>Everyone account is going to stop writing of a file even though the
>>>account you're using has full access, as an example. So check the user
>>>accounts and their access rights on the drive, folder or file for
>>>conflicts.

>> There is just one administrator account. I think there was a
>> .net account when I installed the program but I deleted it
>> because I like it to boot straight into windows instead of
>> it giving me a menu. Point is, how do I get it back? I just
>> reinstalled the program (personal Translator) and it didn't
>> put it's user account back.
>>

>I suggest that you reinstall the .Net Framework on the machine. That will
>put the ASPNET user account back on the machine. There is more than just
>your Admin account being used on the machine. There is the Everyone
>account most users just ignore but is dangerous and others like the
>System account being used by the O/S. ASPNET is like the O/S's System
>account. You as a user of the machine do not interact with those kinds of
>accounts. The O/S and programs running on the machine use those kinds of
>accounts. ASPNET account you may have to manually set for a directory if
>the installing application is not doing it for you.
>
>You mau have to uninstall the .Net Framework and the install it again to
>get things right with the ASPNET account, which must be used by any .NET
>application/program.
>
>I still think you may have a user account conflict with the Everyone
>account that may only have read access for a folder or whatever and
>circumventing all other accounts even the Admin.
>
>Take not on the accounts in the link like Everyone and Autenticated User.
>
>http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
>
>Duane

Thanks very much for your time, I appreciate it. That gives
me plenty to work on when I have the opportunity.

Geoff

Audio prob that's more than a sound card prob LineOut Computer Support 2 04-19-2008 02:30 PM
networking prob =?Utf-8?B?ZHlvdWRlbg==?= Wireless Networking 3 07-27-2006 09:26 AM
Networking Prob peter Computer Support 7 04-09-2005 10:05 AM
Printer prob and also networking prob Gareth not NLL or anybody else. Computer Support 2 01-02-2004 07:48 PM
winxp networking prob John Computer Support 0 08-06-2003 10:25 AM

Advertisments