Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Entering Several Addresses in the To: field but Recipient Sees Only His/Her Address

Entering Several Addresses in the To: field but Recipient Sees Only His/Her Address

Martin

Hello,

I use OE6 and my OS is XP Pro.

I'm the moderator of a chatroom and there are group mailings about once or
twice a week. To date, in order to respect everyone's right to privacy, I've
been placing their e-mail addresses in the Bcc field. Unfortunately, many
e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc mail as spam, thus causing room
members to not be kept up-to-date.

Is there a software application that would permit me to enter everyone's
e-mail address in the To field, but the recipient would see only his/her
address?

Thanks!

Martin

Plato

Martin wrote:

> Is there a software application that would permit me to enter everyone's
> e-mail address in the To field, but the recipient would see only his/her
> address?

Yes there are. Several years ago a buddy wrote one for me in only a few
hours because my mail service had a limit on the number of folks I could
send to at the same time. It works from a dos box and individually
addresses each mail. Sorry I cant pass on a copy.
However, since then I found that using a professional bulk mailing
service to be easier and better? Why better? One reason is that it frees
me from having to manually remove people from the list as it includes a
"remove from list" link on every mail.

There are free versions and very low cost pay for versions. See here:

http://www.ymlp.com/

Even with the free version you dont have to manually add or remove
people from the list. Just use a website signup form.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Dan Evans

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8tY7f.7179$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Unfortunately, many
> e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc mail as spam, thus causing room
> members to not be kept up-to-date.

I've not seen that before - which clients?

Dan

Secret Squiddle

Using most email clients: BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) will do this, no
additional software required. Put your email address in the TO field,
everyone else's in the BCC field.

The recipients will only see their address, and not be aware of others who
have received the same email.

**SS**

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:436062c8$0$175$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Martin wrote:
>>
>> Is there a software application that would permit me to enter everyone's
>> e-mail address in the To field, but the recipient would see only his/her
>> address?

> Yes there are. Several years ago a buddy wrote one for me in only a few
> hours because my mail service had a limit on the number of folks I could
> send to at the same time. It works from a dos box and individually
> addresses each mail. Sorry I cant pass on a copy.
> However, since then I found that using a professional bulk mailing
> service to be easier and better? Why better? One reason is that it frees
> me from having to manually remove people from the list as it includes a
> "remove from list" link on every mail.
>
> There are free versions and very low cost pay for versions. See here:
>
> http://www.ymlp.com/
>
> Even with the free version you dont have to manually add or remove
> people from the list. Just use a website signup form.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mike Easter

Martin wrote:

> Unfortunately, many e-mail clients and/or providers regard Bcc
> mail as spam, thus causing room members to not be kept up-to-date.

You are mistaken about that. In the first place, the clients don't see
the 'BCC' because that information doesn't reach the client. The
mechanism of the effect of using BCC on the sending end and what is
going on during the smtp transaction at the server level is beyond the
scope of this discussion, but it isn't seen by the client.

In the second place the mechanism for hiding the recipients which aren't
listed in the To: of the DATA part of the transmission, is a standard
mechanism for all kinds of bulk or multiparty mailed items, ie mailing
lists, not just spams. So, it wouldn't 'do' for a normal provider to
block all mailing list mail using such addressing -- they would have
unhappy clients.

Of course, anyone who runs a server can choose to use some zany
configuration to block anything they want to; but if someone is behind
such a zany server, they need to get things straightened out, whitelist
their wanted mail, or change mail providers.

--
Mike Easter

Plato

Secret Squiddle wrote:

> Using most email clients: BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) will do this, no
> additional software required. Put your email address in the TO field,
> everyone else's in the BCC field.

True, the the OP said that the services his receivers are using are
tagging mail using the BCC as spam.