Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > multiuser XP reboots when logging off

multiuser XP reboots when logging off

DL

Hi,
A problem has developed on my Pentium3 933MHz with WinXP Professional where
the machine will reboot each time one of the users (set up for five) chooses
to log off.
The machine now consistently reboots. Can anybody suggest what might cause
this? And what it might take to fix?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Unk

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:57:53 GMT, "DL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>A problem has developed on my Pentium3 933MHz with WinXP Professional where
>the machine will reboot each time one of the users (set up for five) chooses
>to log off.
>The machine now consistently reboots. Can anybody suggest what might cause
>this? And what it might take to fix?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dave

Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
error record to see the details of the error.

You can change this restart behavior if you want.
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
to open the Startup and Recovery window.
In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
Click "Apply", "OK"

After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
switch). The contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
as to the underlying cause of the problem.

DL

Many thanks. I don't know how I would've ever figured that one out. I sure
don't want the restarts so I'll see how well this works for a while. Thanks
again.

Dave
"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:57:53 GMT, "DL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>A problem has developed on my Pentium3 933MHz with WinXP Professional
>>where
>>the machine will reboot each time one of the users (set up for five)
>>chooses
>>to log off.
>>The machine now consistently reboots. Can anybody suggest what might
>>cause
>>this? And what it might take to fix?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Dave
>>

> Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"
>
> Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
> Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
> sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
> of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
> error record to see the details of the error.
>
> You can change this restart behavior if you want.
> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
> In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
> to open the Startup and Recovery window.
> In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
> Click "Apply", "OK"
>
> After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
> failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
> Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
> a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
> switch). The contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
> as to the underlying cause of the problem.

Unk

You're welcome.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:56:53 GMT, "DL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Many thanks. I don't know how I would've ever figured that one out. I sure
>don't want the restarts so I'll see how well this works for a while. Thanks
>again.
>
>Dave
>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:57:53 GMT, "DL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>A problem has developed on my Pentium3 933MHz with WinXP Professional
>>>where
>>>the machine will reboot each time one of the users (set up for five)
>>>chooses
>>>to log off.
>>>The machine now consistently reboots. Can anybody suggest what might
>>>cause
>>>this? And what it might take to fix?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Dave
>>>

>> Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"
>>
>> Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
>> Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
>> sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
>> of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
>> error record to see the details of the error.
>>
>> You can change this restart behavior if you want.
>> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
>> In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
>> to open the Startup and Recovery window.
>> In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
>> Click "Apply", "OK"
>>
>> After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
>> failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
>> Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
>> a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
>> switch). The contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
>> as to the underlying cause of the problem.

multiuser XP reboots when logging off opie General Computer Support 3 04-10-2007 10:10 AM
Variable values collision in multiuser environment Manuel Arroba ASP .Net 5 06-07-2004 11:14 PM
How to write multiuser application? Bhavin Patel Perl 1 06-03-2004 07:50 PM
Multiuser issue Tangent ASP .Net 3 11-11-2003 06:52 PM
Computer reboots when off button is pressed Don Henthorn Computer Support 1 07-24-2003 09:33 PM

Advertisments