Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > will old system slow down dsl

will old system slow down dsl

moyolawn@yahoo.com

presently using win98,
130,488 KB physical memory
sustem resources at 47% free

the computer is :
Authentic AMD
AMD-K6 3D Processor
128.0 MB ram
32 bit

Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

hope this info is handy

Eric

Toolman Tim

> presently using win98,
> 130,488 KB physical memory
> sustem resources at 47% free
>
> the computer is :
> Authentic AMD
> AMD-K6 3D Processor
> 128.0 MB ram
> 32 bit
>
> Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
> spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
> that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
>
> hope this info is handy
>
> Eric

Sure. Always upgrade. Spend money. Encourage the economy. <grin>

That system isn't exactly a speed demon. It can't be over 500MHz (based on
the CPU model). You didn't say how much hard drive space is available for
use. It will never be "fast" regardless, even if you do free up some more
system resources.

like an idiot.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> presently using win98,
> 130,488 KB physical memory
> sustem resources at 47% free
>
> the computer is :
> Authentic AMD
> AMD-K6 3D Processor
> 128.0 MB ram
> 32 bit
>
> Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
> spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
> that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

It isn't about the method of connecting.
It's about the content of the pages.

You should find that e-mail services and newsgroups (things that use
text, and not images) are just fine.
Any smart Web site should work fine -- they should have small graphics
files that don't require a lot of processing.
Larger graphics, scripts, and animations are going to require more --
consider turning off Flash, Java and javascript, for instance.
You certainly should have ActiveX turned off.

If that seems to make a difference, look at what else you can
streamline. When I used dialup services, I found I could browse very
practically with 'load images' turned off in the browser-- it's usually
an easy click to load them when you want them.
I don't know just how much work the image processing is for each page,
but it's an easy thing to try.

Pat

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:12:46 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>presently using win98,
>130,488 KB physical memory
>sustem resources at 47% free
>
>the computer is :
>Authentic AMD
>AMD-K6 3D Processor
>128.0 MB ram
>32 bit
>
>Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
>spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
>that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
>
>hope this info is handy
>
>Eric

My second computer is a P4 400mhz (W98FE). It's on DSL and browses the
internet just fine. Pages load very quick. Even an old 386sx computer
running Win 3.1 should keep up with DSL just fine. You need to optimize
the system for DSL. Go here http://www.speedguide.net/ and try some of
the tweaks they provide.

With 128meg the swapfile is likely getting a lot of use. Upgrading to
256 or more will help. Make sure there is plenty of room on the drive
for caching web pages and that the cache size is adequate. Defrag the
drive regularly.

--
Pat

Dan Evans

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
> spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
> that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

The Internet isn't going any slower, it's just the older machine takes
longer to render/process whatever is being downloaded. I'd upgrade anyway.

Dan

Shepİ

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:12:46 GMT If you fall from a tree,leave your
anger on the branch and then (E-Mail Removed) sent this :

>presently using win98,
>130,488 KB physical memory
>sustem resources at 47% free
>
>the computer is :
>Authentic AMD
>AMD-K6 3D Processor
>128.0 MB ram
>32 bit
>
>Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
>spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
>that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet
>
>hope this info is handy
>
>Eric

You can speed up surfing a lot using another browser."Firefox" is way
faster and more secure than IE IMHO,

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Walter Mautner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> presently using win98,
> 130,488 KB physical memory
> sustem resources at 47% free
>
> the computer is :
> Authentic AMD
> AMD-K6 3D Processor
> 128.0 MB ram
> 32 bit
>
> Should I upgrade to a faster computer? It seems that the computer is
> spending a lot of time loading the various screens whereas the system
> that I'm using right now is a lot faster accessing the internet

Having used such a beast for a while (500 MHz) and now my s.o. (she
also complains about the sluggish thing, with a billion ebay pics in
her internet cache) I know. Well, it works with XPee (duuh!) here since
my s.o. could not be convinced to switch to linux yet - maybe because
she's in a safe haven behind my routing firewalling virusfiltering
proxying linux box. Clean the internet cache, history, make sure you
have enough free space on your HD and grab all the SDRAM you can get.
Occasionally defrag, and consider a detoriating harddrive may also be
the cause of noticeable slowdown, even before it breaks completely.
If you don't want to retire the box, give it a 2nd life as a linux
router/firewall/proxy server that can run without a gui.

to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Dan Evans

Dan Evans, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "quiet;
stupid idiot who wishes he were cool", quibbled: