Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Auto backup to second hard drive?

Auto backup to second hard drive?

Patrick Cleburne

In addition to weekly backups to a CD, I do a daily copy of my data to a
second internal hard drive by dragging and dropping using Windows Explorer
on my WIN XP SP2 computer.

Any freeware/shareware programs to automate that copying to the second HD?

PC

"Patrick Cleburne" <mgcleburne@csa> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In addition to weekly backups to a CD, I do a daily copy of my data to a
> second internal hard drive by dragging and dropping using Windows Explorer
> on my WIN XP SP2 computer.
>
> Any freeware/shareware programs to automate that copying to the second HD?

Patrick

You already have the tools

Write a 'batch' file in Notepad then 'Schedule' it to your convenience.

If you don't know how to write a batch file (Google, it is quite simple
really) then get a copy of the freeware utility
"BackItUp" http://web.telia.com/~u32102551/ by Bernt Levinsson

BackItUp will create the batch file for you and all you then have to do is
Schedule it.

Cheers
Paul.

why?

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:59:14 -0400, Patrick Cleburne wrote:

>In addition to weekly backups to a CD, I do a daily copy of my data to a
>second internal hard drive by dragging and dropping using Windows Explorer
>on my WIN XP SP2 computer.
>
>Any freeware/shareware programs to automate that copying to the second HD?

Lots.

The stuff provided with XP doesn't work?
Start | Help and Support
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Scheduled Tasks

Me

Dan Evans

"Patrick Cleburne" <mgcleburne@csa> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Any freeware/shareware programs to automate that copying to the second HD?

Notepad to do a batch file, then "scheduled tasks" (control panel) to run it
automatically. Not a perfect system, but one I've used more than once.

Dan

AGEE

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:11:13 +1300, "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Patrick Cleburne" <mgcleburne@csa> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In addition to weekly backups to a CD, I do a daily copy of my data to a
>> second internal hard drive by dragging and dropping using Windows Explorer
>> on my WIN XP SP2 computer.
>>
>> Any freeware/shareware programs to automate that copying to the second HD?
>>

>Patrick
>
>You already have the tools
>
>Write a 'batch' file in Notepad then 'Schedule' it to your convenience.
>
>If you don't know how to write a batch file (Google, it is quite simple
>really) then get a copy of the freeware utility
>"BackItUp" http://web.telia.com/~u32102551/ by Bernt Levinsson
>
>BackItUp will create the batch file for you and all you then have to do is
>Schedule it.

there is a little freeware prog called Taskzip. Runs in all windows
varieties after 95. Timed backups. Incremental and multiple backups.
Google should find it.