Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Initiate a SkyPe Call Using a Cordless Phone Via ActionTec Internet Phone Wizard?

Initiate a SkyPe Call Using a Cordless Phone Via ActionTec Internet Phone Wizard?

jaykchan@hotmail.com

I have just bought a phone adapter for connecting a regular phone to
SkyPe. I have a question on the way to initiate a call through a
cordless phone instead of through the SkyPe program.

That phone adapter is called "Internet Phone Wizard" from ActionTec.
That device connects to the PC through USB, and the device has a jack
for an analog phone. I have connected a corded phone to the device,
and I can talk using the phone and SkyPe; but I will have to initiate
the call through the SkyPe program. I don't know how to initiate a
SkyPe call using the keys in the phone. This is OK as long as I am
using the corded phone and I need to sit in front of the PC anyway.
But this won't be OK if I use one of those set of multiple cordless
phones because I may be making SkyPe call from a different room.
According to ActionTec web site, I am supposed to hit some keys in the
phone to initiate a SkyPe call; but they don't say which keys (I guess
this may be specific to the model of phone). I have emailed them about
this; but almost a week later they still haven't answered my email (not
a good sign for customer service).

I think this may have something to do with setting up a Speed Dial to
each phone number in the phone book in SkyPe. I have done that; but
still I don't know which keys in the phone to press to tell the phone
adapter that I meant to use SkyPe to make the call.

I am quite puzzled right now. Please help.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Enzo Michelangeli

The user manual at http://www.actiontec.com/support/voip/manual.pdf , at
pages 26 and 28, says that you have to hit the '#' key twice, wait for the
dial tone, then enter a SkypeOut or a Skype speed-dial number (that you'll
have separately set up in advance using the Skype software).

Enzo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have just bought a phone adapter for connecting a regular phone to
> SkyPe. I have a question on the way to initiate a call through a
> cordless phone instead of through the SkyPe program.
>
> That phone adapter is called "Internet Phone Wizard" from ActionTec.
> That device connects to the PC through USB, and the device has a jack
> for an analog phone. I have connected a corded phone to the device,
> and I can talk using the phone and SkyPe; but I will have to initiate
> the call through the SkyPe program. I don't know how to initiate a
> SkyPe call using the keys in the phone. This is OK as long as I am
> using the corded phone and I need to sit in front of the PC anyway.
> But this won't be OK if I use one of those set of multiple cordless
> phones because I may be making SkyPe call from a different room.
> According to ActionTec web site, I am supposed to hit some keys in the
> phone to initiate a SkyPe call; but they don't say which keys (I guess
> this may be specific to the model of phone). I have emailed them about
> this; but almost a week later they still haven't answered my email (not
> a good sign for customer service).
>
> I think this may have something to do with setting up a Speed Dial to
> each phone number in the phone book in SkyPe. I have done that; but
> still I don't know which keys in the phone to press to tell the phone
> adapter that I meant to use SkyPe to make the call.
>
> I am quite puzzled right now. Please help.
>
> Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Jay Chan

jaykchan@hotmail.com

Thanks, I found it.

I didn't understand the instruction when I was installing the device; I
thought that meaned something else. Now that you point it out, I
understand it.

Jay Chan