Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Free audio conferencing software for 12 or so people

Free audio conferencing software for 12 or so people

Tony Toews

olks

I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members geographically dispersed
throughout the province. Currently they are using a phone patch system but
permission is a bit hazy and it only has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members.
Currently many of the members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and
use a speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work. Today at least two people
couldn't get in.

MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know of any free
software which allows up to 12 people or so?

I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Heimo Hetl

Tony Toews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know
> of any free software which allows up to 12 people or so?

Asterisk.

cheers
Heimo

--
You never ask questions when God's on your side.

Jonathan Roberts

Asterisk would handle this, I believe. I haven't used the conferencing
features just yet. I am sure a Google search would turn up loads of info!

Also, you might look into Free World Dialup. It has conference
functionality as well.

Good luck,

Jonathan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am sure a Google search would turn up loads of info!

I didn't even bother to try as I'm sure there'd be so much crap showing up in any
search it would be impossible.

Sheesh, I'm an idiot. Search using gets me at least two free systems in the

That'll teach me to make assumptions. <smile>

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Jonathan Roberts

Let us know what ends up working for you. I am sure it will help others in
the future.

Jonathan

"Tony Toews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am sure a Google search would turn up loads of info!

> I didn't even bother to try as I'm sure there'd be so much crap showing up

in any
> search it would be impossible.
>
> Sheesh, I'm an idiot. Search using gets me at least two free systems in

the

> That'll teach me to make assumptions. <smile>
>
> Tony
>

> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
> Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

FTR

Tony Toews wrote:
> olks
>
> I just got shanghaied to be an executive board with members geographically dispersed
> throughout the province. Currently they are using a phone patch system but
> permission is a bit hazy and it only has 8 ports. A bit tricky with 12 members.
> Currently many of the members who are in the same city gather at someone's house and
> use a speaker phone there. But that doesn't always work. Today at least two people
> couldn't get in.
>
> MSN only allows four people to be in an audio conversation. Anyone know of any free
> software which allows up to 12 people or so?
>
> I think pretty much everyone would have high speed Internet.
>
> Tony

The latest Skype allows for 10 participants. This is not the 12 you look
for but a good start. And, the voice quality is excellent if you have PC
to PC calls, SkypeOut (PC to landline) is of mixed quality

- Frank

rixride@hotmail.com

Here is a great article on how to get Free Conferencing Service for you
Org...

http://www.pbxinfo.com/modules.php?o...58&page_id=556