Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VoIP and AOL

VoIP and AOL

FTR

We tried to skype with a colleague that uses an AOL account. However,
he did not get Skype work with AOL. We used Skype as we looked for a
low-cost conference call app that is easy to handle.

Is AOL the culprit and kills Skype?

Are there some VoIPs that allow conference calling , for free if possible ?

Thanks,
Frank

Oliver Moritz

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:18:01 +0100, FTR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We tried to skype with a colleague that uses an AOL account. However,
>he did not get Skype work with AOL. We used Skype as we looked for a
>low-cost conference call app that is easy to handle.
>
>Is AOL the culprit and kills Skype?
>
>Are there some VoIPs that allow conference calling , for free if possible ?
>
>Thanks,
>Frank

I use Skype and AOL too, i have no problems, neither to AOL members
nor to others. Maybe you have any trouble with a router / firewall or
something else. Do you see an error message ?

FTR

Oliver Moritz wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:18:01 +0100, FTR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We tried to skype with a colleague that uses an AOL account. However,
>> he did not get Skype work with AOL. We used Skype as we looked for a
>> low-cost conference call app that is easy to handle.
>>
>> Is AOL the culprit and kills Skype?
>>
>> Are there some VoIPs that allow conference calling , for free if possible ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank

> I use Skype and AOL too, i have no problems, neither to AOL members
> nor to others. Maybe you have any trouble with a router / firewall or
> something else. Do you see an error message ?

This is an important info. It's not me that uses AOL but the British
colleague. I always suspected a firewall to be the problem. Which are
the ports used by Skype ?

FT

Oliver Moritz

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:07:38 +0100, FTR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oliver Moritz wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 01:18:01 +0100, FTR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> We tried to skype with a colleague that uses an AOL account. However,
>>> he did not get Skype work with AOL. We used Skype as we looked for a
>>> low-cost conference call app that is easy to handle.
>>>
>>> Is AOL the culprit and kills Skype?
>>>
>>> Are there some VoIPs that allow conference calling , for free if possible ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Frank

>> I use Skype and AOL too, i have no problems, neither to AOL members
>> nor to others. Maybe you have any trouble with a router / firewall or
>> something else. Do you see an error message ?
>>

>This is an important info. It's not me that uses AOL but the British
>colleague. I always suspected a firewall to be the problem. Which are
>the ports used by Skype ?
>
>FT

I hope these informations will help you:

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/firewall.html

Greets, Oliver