Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > move the DVC box behind the router

move the DVC box behind the router

Larry

I have my VOIP (Innomedia DVC with Phonom) working great in the
"supported" configuration: DSL modem, then DVC (configured with static
IP), then wireless router (configured as a DHCP client). Internet and
phone work great. However, I recently tried using VPN and the VPN
isn't connecting.

I suspected the DVC was causing the VPN problem so I tried taking out
the DVC. To get my Internet connection to work after taking out the
DVC I had to change the router configuration from DHCP client to static
IP. Well that did fix my VPN.

Now to get my VOIP working again. I thought I could put the DVC
"behind" the router (i.e. switch the position of the router and the DVC
from what I had before). I configured the DVC to be a DHCP client
instead of a static IP. However, while all the lights were normal, I
couldn't get a dial tone. I tried calling Phonom and they said while
they believe it is possible to do what I'm trying, they won't give me
any help with it. Anything I may be forgetting?

Larry

Larry wrote:
> I have my VOIP (Innomedia DVC with Phonom) working great in the
> "supported" configuration: DSL modem, then DVC (configured with static
> IP), then wireless router (configured as a DHCP client). Internet and
> phone work great. However, I recently tried using VPN and the VPN
> isn't connecting.
>
> I suspected the DVC was causing the VPN problem so I tried taking out
> the DVC. To get my Internet connection to work after taking out the
> DVC I had to change the router configuration from DHCP client to static
> IP. Well that did fix my VPN.
>
> Now to get my VOIP working again. I thought I could put the DVC
> "behind" the router (i.e. switch the position of the router and the DVC
> from what I had before). I configured the DVC to be a DHCP client
> instead of a static IP. However, while all the lights were normal, I
> couldn't get a dial tone. I tried calling Phonom and they said while
> they believe it is possible to do what I'm trying, they won't give me
> any help with it. Anything I may be forgetting?

Never mind, I figured it out, through some Google searching. Now I
feel bad I was yelling at the Phonom guy so much. I was so sure that I
needed his help to configure the DVC box differently, when it was
really the router that I needed to configure. I think the guy knew
what the problem was but wasn't allowed to tell me, because it wasn't
"supported", and he was doing his best to hint to me, but I wasn't
getting it. Every sentence he said was "router, router, router" and I
kept yelling back "the router is working fine! DVC, DVC, DVC!"

Anyway, what I had to do was go into the port forwarding on the router
and forward UDP ports 6025 and 2427 to a certain static address that
would be in the DHCP range of the router, but on the high end (to make
sure no computers on my network would get assigned that same IP address
if they hapenned to connect while my DVC was not connected). Since my
router's DHCP server starts at 192.168.1.100 with a limit of 50
clients, I chose 192.168.1.140 for the forwarding. Then I went into
the DVC and changed it back to static IP but this time put
192.168.1.140 instead of the external IP that it used to have. Now I
have internet, VPN and dial tone.

I still wish Phonom would have just told me to forward those ports.

Larry

Larry wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> > I have my VOIP (Innomedia DVC with Phonom) working great in the
> > "supported" configuration: DSL modem, then DVC (configured with static
> > IP), then wireless router (configured as a DHCP client). Internet and
> > phone work great. However, I recently tried using VPN and the VPN
> > isn't connecting.

Even thought I got it to work, I'm still curious as to what exactly the
DVC box was doing that interfered with my VPN, considering that the
router doesn't interfere. It seems like the DVC box should act very
similarly to a router, from the point of view of the DVC's "LAN" socket.

Onion Knight

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Larry wrote:
>> Larry wrote:
>> > I have my VOIP (Innomedia DVC with Phonom) working great in the
>> > "supported" configuration: DSL modem, then DVC (configured with static
>> > IP), then wireless router (configured as a DHCP client). Internet and
>> > phone work great. However, I recently tried using VPN and the VPN
>> > isn't connecting.

> Even thought I got it to work, I'm still curious as to what exactly the
> DVC box was doing that interfered with my VPN, considering that the
> router doesn't interfere. It seems like the DVC box should act very
> similarly to a router, from the point of view of the DVC's "LAN" socket.

Some routers have options to allow VPN passthru. Your DVC box likely
does not.

--
OK

Larry

Onion Knight wrote:
> "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > Larry wrote:

> > Even thought I got it to work, I'm still curious as to what exactly the
> > DVC box was doing that interfered with my VPN, considering that the
> > router doesn't interfere. It seems like the DVC box should act very
> > similarly to a router, from the point of view of the DVC's "LAN" socket.

> Some routers have options to allow VPN passthru. Your DVC box likely
> does not.

Interesting... where can I look in my router config to see that?

Larry

Larry wrote:
> Onion Knight wrote:
> > > Larry wrote:
> > > Even thought I got it to work, I'm still curious as to what exactly the
> > > DVC box was doing that interfered with my VPN, considering that the
> > > router doesn't interfere. It seems like the DVC box should act very
> > > similarly to a router, from the point of view of the DVC's "LAN" socket.

> > Some routers have options to allow VPN passthru. Your DVC box likely
> > does not.

> Interesting... where can I look in my router config to see that?

Never mind... I found it... it's under Security -> VPN. By default it
enables all 3 "passthrough" options in this section (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP).

Larry

Larry wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> Anyway, what I had to do was go into the port forwarding on the router
> and forward UDP ports 6025 and 2427 to a certain static address that
> would be in the DHCP range of the router, but on the high end (to make
> sure no computers on my network would get assigned that same IP address
> if they hapenned to connect while my DVC was not connected). Since my
> router's DHCP server starts at 192.168.1.100 with a limit of 50
> clients, I chose 192.168.1.140 for the forwarding. Then I went into
> the DVC and changed it back to static IP but this time put
> 192.168.1.140 instead of the external IP that it used to have. Now I
> have internet, VPN and dial tone.

I wrote up network diagrams for how I solved this problem. Would it be
helpful (or even possible) to post them here? I don't have much
experience with posting binary data on newsgroups.

tomcabbit@gmail.com

Could you please post this diagram?

I'm trying to do what is said here but can't seem to get it to work.
Right now I have things set up as:
modem -> router -> wan on DVC

Ports have been forwarded and I changed the IP of the DVC in the IP
Network\Interface Settings\External Port menu
to 192.168.1.45 . The Gateway and DNS are both 192.168.1.1 and my
router has been set to take over the IP of the
DVC (66.173.xxx.xxx). This is the only place I've changed things. Also,
I can access the DVC over the network
via 192.168.1.45(via wan). Unfortunately I can only get the DSL working
and no dial tone.

Am I doing something wrong here? All I want is my DVC behind my router
because the DVC creates
connection problems for me.