Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Is there much difference between telephone adapters?

Is there much difference between telephone adapters?

Ray

I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.

1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
stuttering.

2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.

3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.

Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
what I'm saying.

I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
off to the phone and computer.

I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
times greater.

The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
be going on?

Thanks,

Ray

theMezz.com

#2 happens to me with USADATANET who uses the same "box" as SunRocket -
- I just ordered sunrocket myself but have not tested it yet

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

Ray wrote:
> I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.
>
> 1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
> stuttering.
>
> 2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
> it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
> it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.
>
> 3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
> response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
> background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
> indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
> different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.
>
> Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
> clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
> what I'm saying.
>
> I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
> first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
> off to the phone and computer.
>
> I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
> conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
> download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
> measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
> hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
> times greater.
>
> The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
> different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
> telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
> whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
> arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
> available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
> be going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

It sounds like an issue with your internet provider as opposed to
SunRocket. You could always try moving your gizmo around in its setup,
but it sounds more like an internet provider issue.

Bill Kearney

> I can't move the gizmo ahead of the cable modem. The gizmo's cable input
> is a WAN connector, not the round coax connector that matchs the
> standard cable coming out of the wall.

Then just make sure the gizmo is ahead of any other networking devices. If
your cable modem is your switch then you'll need to get another switch and
put the gizmo in-between it and the cable modem. This way the gizmo can hog
as much bandwidth as it needs before anything else in the house tries. That
will only make sure nothing on your end, in the house, is the problem. If
the upstream cable modem network is clogged up there's not a lot you can do
about it (many often are).

Ray

> Ray wrote:
>
>>I'm having occasional speech quality problems with SunRocket.
>>
>>1. When I speak, the person I called will sometimes say I sound like I'm
>>stuttering.
>>
>>2. Sometimes when the person I call says her first "hello", I don't hear
>>it. So I say "hello" and when she replies "hello" a second time, I hear
>>it okay. Generally, the rest of her conversation is okay.
>>
>>3. I was talking to someone and after I finished speaking, they was no
>>response. It was just like the line was dead, but there was no change in
>>background noise (it remained at a very low, unobjectable level) to
>>indicate anything was wrong. I redialed, connected again and had a
>>different problem, so I reverted to my Verizon line.
>>
>>Except for that odd situation 2 above, I can hear the person I've called
>>clearly, without the stuttering problem. Most problems are understanding
>>what I'm saying.
>>
>>I'm using a Cablevision cable connection. The cable from the street goes
>>first to the cable modem, then to the telephone adapter, which branches
>>off to the phone and computer.
>>
>>I wasn't trying to do any serious down- or uploading during the
>>conversations. Using this website, http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/, my
>>download speed is in the range of 500-800 kbps, although I never
>>measured it when I have having the speech problems. (Maybe neighbors are
>>hogging bandwidth and causing the problems.) Upload speed is about five
>>times greater.
>>
>>The question is, Would using a different company (e.g., Vonage) with a
>>different telephone adapter improve the situation? Also, are there
>>telephone adapters that hook directly to the cable from the street and
>>whose outputs feed the phone and the cable modem? Wouldn't such an
>>arrangement give the phone higher priority than the computer for the
>>available bandwidth and thus be immune to down- or uploading that might
>>be going on?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ray

> It sounds like an issue with your internet provider as opposed to
> SunRocket. You could always try moving your gizmo around in its setup,
> but it sounds more like an internet provider issue.

I can't move the gizmo ahead of the cable modem. The gizmo's cable input
is a WAN connector, not the round coax connector that matchs the
standard cable coming out of the wall.

Thanks, anyway.

Ray