Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > SIP software phone and firewall settings

SIP software phone and firewall settings

Tony Toews

Folks

So I'm looking around at software phones and have come across sipXphone at
www.sipfoundry.org? Is this a decent system? Any other suggestions?

I've decided on using Gafachi as they accept Paypal.

Now in setting things up in sipXphone I've come across the following:

"If making calls from behind a NAT firewall, please add NAT port mappings on your NAT
firewall device and specify your external IP here. Please see your NAT firewall for
instructions on adding port mappings. By default, you will need to map port 5060
(SIP) and ports 8766-8770 (RTP):
(PHONESET_EXTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS)"

Now if I was worried about incoming calls then this would be important. But I'm only
making outgoing calls. Incoming will be via cell phone, etc.

And I can't set this up in my motel room or coffee shop or whatever. Clearly I won't
have any control over the firewalls.

Does this mean I need to setup some proxy server somewhere for this stuff?

I do know how to setup firewalls and open ports and such. It's just that my primary
reason for setting all this up was so I could make inexpensive calls from clients or
motel room exactly when I'm behind all these firewalls. Instead of using my more
expensive cell phone.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Martin²

X-lite is free, pretty good too. X-pro if you want to pay, has conference
calls etc.
You can download it from sipgate.co.uk
(Xten.com have changed their name, can't remember to what..., (silly
people).
When using others WiFi you have to use the STUN server feature, gets past
firewalls etc.
Regards,
Martin

Tony Toews

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>X-lite is free, pretty good too. X-pro if you want to pay, has conference
>calls etc.
>You can download it from sipgate.co.uk

So I have to register first just to download the software?

>When using others WiFi you have to use the STUN server feature, gets past
>firewalls etc.

So I have to install the STUN Server on a server which is on the Internet? Ok, I do
indeed have a Win 2003 Server which is currently doing web serving I can use.

Tony

--

Tony Toews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any other suggestions?

I located and installed xten X-Lite http://www.xten.net/index.php?menu=download and
got it somewhat working. (I have to now send Gafachi some money. <smile>) At
least I tried to make an outgoing call and it said insufficient funds. So it looks
like that part of it is working any.

UI sucks as the font is getting a bit small and the dark grey background makes it a
bit difficult to read things. But gafachi.com had setttings available on thier
website for xten X-Lite so that made it much easier.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

molloyjoe@gmail.com

You can change the background color of the X-Ten - see
www.hyper-typer.com/voipstunt.htm for screenshot - take a look under
phone settings.

Martin²

Glad to hear you got X-Lite working.
I think you have also figured STUN, (just enter the URL of ANY Stun server
in the settings).
If you want to make some free test calls (max 1min), use the test settings
from sipdiscount.com,
or pay them few Euros for 'full' usage, many destination are still FREE.
Regards,
Martin

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Martin²:
> Glad to hear you got X-Lite working.
> I think you have also figured STUN, (just enter the URL of ANY Stun
> server in the settings).
> If you want to make some free test calls (max 1min), use the test
> settings from sipdiscount.com,
> or pay them few Euros for 'full' usage, many destination are still
> FREE. Regards,
> Martin

www.voipstunt.com another of their sister services are offering free calls
too, and many people are reporting they are able to chat for a lot longer than
the 1min test.

Tony Toews

>You can change the background color of the X-Ten - see
>www.hyper-typer.com/voipstunt.htm for screenshot - take a look under
>phone settings.

Yes, the orange is somewhat better.

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Tony Toews

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think you have also figured STUN, (just enter the URL of ANY Stun server
>in the settings).

X-Lite has the Counterforce STUN server setup in there. I was wondering what was
going on as my firewall software was telling me all this.

>If you want to make some free test calls (max 1min), use the test settings
>from sipdiscount.com,
>or pay them few Euros for 'full' usage, many destination are still FREE.

Thanks, but I already sent a VOIP vendor some money so I'm set for a while.

Tony