Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Can I connect it to my home wiring?

Can I connect it to my home wiring?

KraftDiner

Right now I have the Vonage / Motorola box connected to a wireless
phone base station.
At this point non of the telephone outlets in my house are connected.
I was wondering if I could connect the motorola box to one of the
unused phone outlets and
if that would bring connectivity to the rest of the outlets in the
house?

John R. Levine

>Right now I have the Vonage / Motorola box connected to a wireless
>phone base station. At this point non of the telephone outlets in my
>house are connected. I was wondering if I could connect the motorola
>box to one of the unused phone outlets and if that would bring
>connectivity to the rest of the outlets in the house?

So long as you are absolutely 100% sure that your inside wiring isn't
connected to anything outside the house, yes, that will probably work
assuming that your outlets are all wired together. I've done it.

If your wiring does get connected to something outside, it'll likely
blow out the box.

KraftDiner

I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
world...
I just wasn't sure that wireing was designed such that the CO so to
speak
could be connected at any outlet.
Any one have a schematic that might demonstrate a typical home
connected
to a CO?

Rick Merrill

KraftDiner wrote:

> I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
> world...

aND leave a NOTE to make sure no body else Reconnects the thing!

> I just wasn't sure that wireing was designed such that the CO so to
> speak
> could be connected at any outlet.
> Any one have a schematic that might demonstrate a typical home
> connected
> to a CO?

Hmmmmm, maybe you're not ready for this...

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> KraftDiner wrote:
>
>> I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
>> world...

> aND leave a NOTE to make sure no body else Reconnects the thing!

Heck, I wouldn't stop at that. I'd just pull the wires inside and
leave a dummy piece of cable sticking through the wall for the phone
guys to play with if the mood so strikes them. (Thats essentially
what I do. All the connections to the internal wiring safely go to a
connection block inside my garage that is on the other side of the
wall from the demarc. Nothing the phone techs do will cause their
ring voltage to appear on any wires going to the analog phones.

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

KraftDiner

What is different about connecting at the phone companies demarkation
point
vs. connecting at a wall outlet? anything?
(Assuming I have disconnected from the CO and that my connection block
is not connected to the outside world at all.)

Doug McIntyre

"KraftDiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>What is different about connecting at the phone companies demarkation
>point vs. connecting at a wall outlet? anything?
>(Assuming I have disconnected from the CO and that my connection block
>is not connected to the outside world at all.)

Not much, no.

The ATA device probably doesn't have anywhere close to the same
ringer/signal drive as what bell would give you. They probably are of
lower quality (certainly the PAP2 I got from my voip trunk provider
for free is, very staticy, and the 1st port is bad, but I don't use
the thing anyway).

Of course, bell is on even if you don't have power, their DC plant
will drive you for sometime.

But for every thing else, your ATA hands off pretty much the same as
what bell provides in reguards to your other pots phone sets.