Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Sunrocket Calls frequently don't go through

Sunrocket Calls frequently don't go through

Bob Alan

I started Sunrocket service in August. I am amazed how often calls don't
go through

I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy. This may not
sound like much but when you need to get through it's a problem. I've now
doing a double check, besides confirming that I can get through on my
regular phone, I also call my other phone number. Sure enough I get a busy
signal.

Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages. Problem
is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm happy at least
some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail, I wonder how often
folks are just not getting a connection.

I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

Bob

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

" Bob Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
> signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
> call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy.

Is it a fast busy (congestion) or a slow busy (the destination phone
is off-hook)?

> This may not sound like much but when you need to get through it's a
> problem. I've now doing a double check, besides confirming that I
> can get through on my regular phone, I also call my other phone
> number. Sure enough I get a busy signal.

This is probably the worst aspect of using an outside company for
gatewaying the PSTN (public switched telephone network) signal into
SIP for you. For outgoing calls they might be nice enough to send you
a fast busy, for incoming calls you may never find out that one got
dropped.

> Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages.
> Problem is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm
> happy at least some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail,
> I wonder how often folks are just not getting a connection.

Personally I would doubt the financial health of any company that
spams as much as Sunrocket does on the various usenet newsgroups. In
that past that has always been an indication that the company is in
financial distress. You wouldn't expect a company that is trying hard
to save money to buy lots of spare tie-lines to the phone central
office just so they can meet the lower probability service peaks.

> I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

Here in California the phone company gets to force you to keep a POTS
dial-tone if you have DSL. It has come in handy for folks calling me
to tell me my incoming VOIP was down. (I just love those unannounced
configuration changes...)

-wolfgang
Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

Bob Alan

They send the slow busy signal, which is why most SR users probably don't
realize it's a problem with SR not being able to handle the call.

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<(E-Mail Removed) .wsrcc.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

Bob Alan wrote:
> They send the slow busy signal, which is why most SR users probably don't
> realize it's a problem with SR not being able to handle the call.
>

> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
> <(E-Mail Removed) .wsrcc.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> " Bob Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I kept my regular phone service which allows me to check when I get a busy
> > signal via SR. I estimate that at least 15% of the times I try to make a
> > call I get a busy signal to numbers that I know are not busy.

> Is it a fast busy (congestion) or a slow busy (the destination phone
> is off-hook)?
>
> > This may not sound like much but when you need to get through it's a
> > problem. I've now doing a double check, besides confirming that I
> > can get through on my regular phone, I also call my other phone
> > number. Sure enough I get a busy signal.

> This is probably the worst aspect of using an outside company for
> gatewaying the PSTN (public switched telephone network) signal into
> SIP for you. For outgoing calls they might be nice enough to send you
> a fast busy, for incoming calls you may never find out that one got
> dropped.
>
> > Also occasionally get email alerts that I have a SR voice messages.
> > Problem is I was sitting by the phone and it never range. While I'm
> > happy at least some of the calls to be are making it to voice mail,
> > I wonder how often folks are just not getting a connection.

> Personally I would doubt the financial health of any company that
> spams as much as Sunrocket does on the various usenet newsgroups. In
> that past that has always been an indication that the company is in
> financial distress. You wouldn't expect a company that is trying hard
> to save money to buy lots of spare tie-lines to the phone central
> office just so they can meet the lower probability service peaks.
>
> > I'm sure glad I didn't cancel my POTS.

> Here in California the phone company gets to force you to keep a POTS
> dial-tone if you have DSL. It has come in handy for folks calling me
> to tell me my incoming VOIP was down. (I just love those unannounced
> configuration changes...)
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
> Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.

Ray

> Bob Alan wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
> if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
> spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
> think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.

They don't!? Look at the subject titles in this newsgroup. Every one
starting with "Sunrocket Promotion" or "Sunrocket Coupon" or "Sunrocket
free phones") is spam. I count over 40 since August. That's what kept me
away from them.

ukcats4218016@yahoo.com

Ray wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Bob Alan wrote:

> > <snip>
> >
> > Service has been really good for me over the past few months. I wonder
> > if it has to do with your internet connection. With regards to SR
> > spamming, I don't think they do that. I think that's a few people who
> > think they can get cash out of referrals by doing all that.

> They don't!? Look at the subject titles in this newsgroup. Every one
> starting with "Sunrocket Promotion" or "Sunrocket Coupon" or "Sunrocket
> free phones") is spam. I count over 40 since August. That's what kept me
> away from them.

Oh, I've seen the spam, but it's not coming from SunRocket. It's from
actual customers who are posting their own phone numbers as promotional
codes in hopes of racking up reward points via SR. Don't blame
SunRocket for the actions of some of its subscribers.