Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Nortel i2004 -> BCM over VPN

Nortel i2004 -> BCM over VPN

Zenofex@gmail.com

Background: We have a i2004 that connects to our vpn through a 4 port
linux router. We are running a BCM
v 3.6 build 2.2c.

Problem :Hey everyone, Im having a issue where my ip phone is
periodically not recieving a dialtone/voice on either side of the phone
connection. The ip phone does register and can make outgoing calls but
will sometimes have no voice or dialtone.

link to schematic:
http://www.thestreetwise.com/compuje...ork-schema.jpg

My diagnosis and things ive tried:
At first i thought that the problem was with the firewall on the
linux router. so i started by adding adding the following lines inside
of my firewall.user file to direct the vpn traffic:

iptables -A forwarding_rule -o ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

Then i read that the registration of the ip phone is done through port
udp 7000. so i added the appropriate line inside of my firewall.user
and tried again. success the phone registered but i had no voice
traffic. I then added a line to direct port traffic 51000:51255 (Im
sorry im not posting the iptable commands for this as i am not verry
good with the whole structure of linux iptables and chains.)
.. After doing this i recieved dialtone initially but after about 10
minutes or so i checked again and the dialtone and voice was gone. So
then i tried to make a outgoing call and a incomming call and both
worked, but still no voice.

Now im stumped, i feel like ive tried soo much to get this to work and
now need the help of someone more experienced to either help with my
iptables or to give me some insight on what im doing wrong. THANK YOU
EVERYONE WHO HELPS IVE BEEN STRESSING OVER THIS FOR A WHILE. THANKS!