Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > vonage or a similar set up

vonage or a similar set up

LAURA

I am wanting to look for a new way to use the phone like vonage...what
I read on their site sounds good but I am looking for what they dont
tell you...i dont mind loosing a few things to get a better price but
want to know a little more about it..such as i have dsl with my phone
company along with my local and long distance ...can i dump the local
and long distance and still keep the dsl...or does any one have any
good and negative feed back.I will try to look thro some of the emails
for some answers but would like some up to date answers since tech. is
improving daily...thanks
LAURA

Martin²

Vonage will charge you rental and sell you kit that is locked to their
service.
You may be better off with other providers who don't charge rental and allow
you to pre pay or pay as you go. But you will have buy your own equipment,
if you have router then all you need is Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) and
any old phone. Alternatively you could get a router with VoIP port(s) (built
in ATA).

>can i dump the local and long distance and still keep the dsl.

Probably not, but unless you say where you are and who is your telco....,
nobody can help you.
Regards,
Martin

boodro@bayounoire.com

I would think you'd need to keep at least a bare local landline to
keep the DSL but like Martin² said it would probabaly depend on your
provider. To save costs I dumped my long distance, kept my local line
for a failsafe (you have to consider 911 emergencies) and went with
SunRocket voip( www.sunrocket.com) to use for long distance. I chose
them because there was no equipment fee and no contract + free phones.

There are many other voip providers, a couple of good places to find
info are http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip and to compare services
and costs use http://voxilla.com/compare/compare.php?typeid=1
&mode=type

veni, vidi, velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

LAURA

I am in georgia and my dsl is with bell south....mcdonough
,georgia.....
thanks for the answer

heis2@aol.com

I just did a similar thing using a new VoIP service called Igonet. I
canceled my local and long distance service on my primary telephone
line. I actually canceled the DSL and went with cable due to some long
term decent pricing they have in my area. I've outlined the whole path
I took onmy web site if you want to learn more.

www.ultra-voip-solutions.com

Wes Groleau

LAURA wrote:
> company along with my local and long distance ...can i dump the local
> and long distance and still keep the dsl...or does any one have any

Yes, but you'll probably have to fight for it.
If you tell them you don't want their phone service,
but you want DSL so you can use VoIP, then for them
to say No would sound a lot like an illegal attempt
to suppress competition.

Verizon told me over and over that it was impossible,
but finally one guy admitted that IF I wanted to use
a VoIP provider, then I could keep my DSL at a higher price.

--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
come by their ignorance the hard way.
-- Kurt Vonnegut

wkearney99

> Verizon told me over and over that it was impossible,
> but finally one guy admitted that IF I wanted to use
> a VoIP provider, then I could keep my DSL at a higher price.

What you end up getting is a bare DSL line without shared voice services.
Plenty of ISPs offer this. All of them, generally, end up charging more for
this service than just piggy-backing along on an existing POTS line. I'm
sure it has everything to do with how the ILEC offers them the lines.
There's a ton of regulations associated with how the owner of the wire (the
local telco) is required to offer the ability for another company to make
use of it.