Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > NuFone broken.. pulls plug on customers

NuFone broken.. pulls plug on customers

envescent@gmail.com

In what could be the first protracted problem I've heard of or
experienced with NuFone, DID service has been unavailable since at the
very least, yesterday morning. NuFone staff have denied the problem
exists, claiming it must be on the customer's end. However, there are
tens of customer I've run across in #nufone and #asterisk on
irc.freenode.net that are experiencing the same problem.

Basically, you cannot dial the toll-free numbers created with your
NuFone account from a POTS line. This problem seriously effects
subscribers' who are using NuFone for business or personal use, because
they cannot receive the majority of their calls.

Most of NuFone's business is outgoing call centers, who use the VoIP
service because of cheap long distance and no local line costs. These
customers are presumably unaffected. This potentially puts a strain on
smaller businesses, because while their subscriptions are probably
appreciated, they are hardly necessary for NuFone's continued financial
success.

UPDATE: NuFone's staff now claim "Global Crossing is having network
issues and they are not being forthcoming with the exact nature of the
problem. This is affecting all of our Toll-Free numbers and a good
portion of their own customers as well. They have not provided even an
estimate on when services will be restored. Level 3 is also having
problems (as of 16:40 EST). No news on that as of yet either."

It was also claimed that this was posted on IRC and sent via e-mail to
customers yesterday. I did not receive any e-mail and neither have any
of the customers I talked to. The message that was allegedly sent I
never saw, and I've been monitoring the channel for 24 hours or so.

I've gone ahead and signed up for service with another provider at this
point and am porting my 800 numbers away from NuFone. Like most
subscribers, I depend on this service to be reliable and stable. With
recent outages on a frequency of once every 30-60 days and this outage
lasting longer than 24 hours, I really have no choice.

NuFone is a Michigan-based provider of discount VoIP termination
services that was founded in 2002.

Kyler Laird

>In what could be the first protracted problem I've heard of or
>experienced with NuFone, DID service has been unavailable since at the
>very least, yesterday morning. NuFone staff have denied the problem
>exists, claiming it must be on the customer's end.

I was attacked by NuFone when I tried to establish service. I stay far
away from them. What they offer can't be worth dealing with people
like that.

>I've gone ahead and signed up for service with another provider at this
>point and am porting my 800 numbers away from NuFone.

At first I had problems finding another provider with a deal as good as
theirs. Then I found LiveVoIP and got a *much* better deal (as far as
the rates)...but, as I suspected, they weren't so stable. When LiveVoIP
went under I looked around again and found Telesthetic. *Much* better.

>Like most
>subscribers, I depend on this service to be reliable and stable. With
>recent outages on a frequency of once every 30-60 days and this outage
>lasting longer than 24 hours, I really have no choice.

There are vastly more professional providers. It just takes some effort
to find them. Good luck with your switch. This is a good lesson to
others on the value of toll-free number portability.

--kyler