Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP Phones with Fiberoptic

VOIP Phones with Fiberoptic

Joe Beineke

Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

Dmitri

Joe Beineke wrote:

> Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
> organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
> matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

It should still be Ehternet over that fiber (100BASE-F for example). In
this case you should be able to use a fiber to copper converter with
copper 100BASE-TX output, and then plug that into the phone. There may be
phones out there with fiber, but it would be a specialty part, and you'll
end up paying for it pretty much the same as for a regular phone plus a
converter. besides, you'll be limited in your choice of phones (even if
they are available)

-------------------------------------
--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum
no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -

Joe Beineke

Thanks. We've considered the converter option, and have decided to
avoid it, if at all possible. I appreciate the input.

wkearney99

"Joe Beineke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Thanks. We've considered the converter option, and have decided to
> avoid it, if at all possible. I appreciate the input.

Fiber connectors are considerable more fragile than the RJ45 connectors used
for wired ethernet. Or USB connectors, for that matter. That and there
aren't many places that have put fiber to the desktop. The combination of
these factors makes it unlikely you'll ever find a solution for it. It's
just too expensive to bother making devices that will have a limited market.
And that when installed will probably break the connectors. Breaking those
connectors is a VERY expensive proposition. Wired ethernet can just be
trimmed a bit (assuming there's at least /some/ slack) and re-attached to
the connectors. Fiber requires a rather expensive special optical alignment
tool (or glue if you're half-assing it) to reattach something to the fiber.

So your only *effective* solutions are to use converters, use wireless, run
a few extra CAT5 cables or use USB phones connected to nearby desktop
computers (or heck, softphones for that matter).

-Bill Kearney

Miguel Cruz

Joe Beineke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone know of VOIP phones that have fiber connections? Our
> organization has fiber to each desktop. Ethernet (and PoE for that
> matter) aren't an option. Thanks for any help.

How are the phones currently connected? Pull some ethernet through there.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 38 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Burma; Hong Kong; Macau; Amsterdam; Grand Canyon; Amman