Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > questions about slight communication delay

questions about slight communication delay

Sitti

Hello,

I just received my packet8 order and activated my account. Everything work
fine but I noticed one thing. When I talk on regular phone, I immediately
start hearing the voice when the other side starts talking. But on VoIP, I
notice there is a very slight delay. I hear the voice about less than a
second after the other side talks. Also the same for the other side. Is this
normal for VoIP?

I am connecting Broadband phone adapter to wireless bridge, linksys WET54 G
V2, to eliminate the need of the long cable. I set WAP for security.
Wireless bridge is about 4 meter away from the router in the same room.
Could this cuase additional delay?

Thank you

Paul

It's perfectly normal, you'll get the same thing with a cell phone or a long
distance call.
VoIP encodes your voice and sends them over the internet as packets, these
take time to reach their destination.
Moving your equipment around won't yeild any noticeable change in the delay.

"Sitti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just received my packet8 order and activated my account. Everything work
> fine but I noticed one thing. When I talk on regular phone, I immediately
> start hearing the voice when the other side starts talking. But on VoIP, I
> notice there is a very slight delay. I hear the voice about less than a
> second after the other side talks. Also the same for the other side. Is

this
> normal for VoIP?
>
> I am connecting Broadband phone adapter to wireless bridge, linksys WET54

> V2, to eliminate the need of the long cable. I set WAP for security.
> Wireless bridge is about 4 meter away from the router in the same room.
> Could this cuase additional delay?
>
> Thank you

Michael

Hmm. I haven't experienced that try connecting your Broadband phone
adapter directly to the router. Actully, Packet8 has great tech support
call them if your on hold for more then five minutes i'll be shocked!!

Sitti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just received my packet8 order and activated my account. Everything work
> fine but I noticed one thing. When I talk on regular phone, I immediately
> start hearing the voice when the other side starts talking. But on VoIP, I
> notice there is a very slight delay. I hear the voice about less than a
> second after the other side talks. Also the same for the other side. Is this
> normal for VoIP?
>
> I am connecting Broadband phone adapter to wireless bridge, linksys WET54 G
> V2, to eliminate the need of the long cable. I set WAP for security.
> Wireless bridge is about 4 meter away from the router in the same room.
> Could this cuase additional delay?
>
> Thank you

wkearney99

> Is this normal for VoIP?

It is if your bandwidth is saturated with other traffic. Stop anything else
that might be using the internet connection. See if the latency stops.
Then try using a speed checker like the one on dslreports. See what actual
throughput you're getting on your network connections. Why bother putting
the adapter behind a wireless link? Why introduce another point of delays?
Set it up wired, at least for testing purporses.

Sitti

Hello,

Thank you for your replies.

I have tried plug directly into router but it did not improve at all. I have
Verison's FiOS 30Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, so bandwidth is not an
issue. I check my bandwidth with dslreports so many times. When I ping I
get: Wireless Bridge = 1ms, and broadband phone adapter = 4ms average. I
don't think my wireless setup is causing this voice delay.

"wkearney99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is this normal for VoIP?

> It is if your bandwidth is saturated with other traffic. Stop anything
> else
> that might be using the internet connection. See if the latency stops.
> Then try using a speed checker like the one on dslreports. See what
> actual
> throughput you're getting on your network connections. Why bother putting
> the adapter behind a wireless link? Why introduce another point of
> delays?
> Set it up wired, at least for testing purporses.

wkearney99

> I have tried plug directly into router but it did not improve at all. I
have
> Verison's FiOS 30Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, so bandwidth is not an
> issue. I check my bandwidth with dslreports so many times.

And how close to the 30/5 bandwidth figures do you see?

As for ping, to where? Pinging a local box doesn't tell you much. Ping, or
better yet, traceroute, to the distant VOIP server's IP address and THEN
you'll see some better detail.

Since you're foolishly using Suprizon's services, is it any wonder VoIP
mysteriously doesn't work?