Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Cisco to acquire Nortel?

Cisco to acquire Nortel?

Ramon F Herrera

Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.

Since I am at the Asterisk conference, I presented the above as a
question to one of the conference speakers, who happens to be very
knowledgeable about the two companies. His answer? "I have heard that
claim before but I'll believe it when I see it... Nortel's hardware is
excellent but its software sucks".

Any comments?

-Ramon F Herrera

Jeff Pratt

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
> Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
> been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.
>
> Since I am at the Asterisk conference, I presented the above as a
> question to one of the conference speakers, who happens to be very
> knowledgeable about the two companies. His answer? "I have heard that
> claim before but I'll believe it when I see it... Nortel's hardware is
> excellent but its software sucks".
>
> Any comments?
>
> -Ramon F Herrera

Well, I guess the question is: "What does nortel have that cisco would
want?" The only answers I can come up with are: customers, and an aging
TDM platform that nortel's been trying to move all their customers off of.
There really isn't all that much left that cisco doesn't already have.

Walter Roberson

In article <MSu3f.10491$y_1.8345@edtnps89>,
Jeff Pratt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Well, I guess the question is: "What does nortel have that cisco would
:want?" The only answers I can come up with are: customers, and an aging
:TDM platform that nortel's been trying to move all their customers off of.
:There really isn't all that much left that cisco doesn't already have.

The Baystack 5510 / 5520 switch series is faster than Cisco's corresponding
offerings, and sells for about 40% of Cisco's street price.

Why aren't we hearing a lot more about the 5510/5520? I'm not sure, but
I'd guess that in part it's because the current layer 3 capabilities
and QoS services are pretty limited. Cisco's 3550/3750 and related
devices are swiss army knives compared to the 5510/5520.... but still,
there's plenty of times where one just needs fast layer 2 plus a small
bit of static layer 3, and Cisco cannot currently compete in that market.
-- Christopher Priest

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Ramon,

John Chambers and Cisco have the most successful "acquisition strategy"
on earth.

Nortel does not fit that strategy.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272

wdg@[206.180.145.133]

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com> "Ramon
F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
>Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
>been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.

>Since I am at the Asterisk conference, I presented the above as a
>question to one of the conference speakers, who happens to be very
>knowledgeable about the two companies. His answer? "I have heard that
>claim before but I'll believe it when I see it... Nortel's hardware is
>excellent but its software sucks".

>Any comments?

Sounds like another urban legend to me.
Some years ago there was a rumor of Cisco looking to acquire Mitel. Most
recently there was a rumor going around Houston that Houston-based HP
might be wanting to put together a deal with Mitel. We've also heard
stories of Foundry Networks looking at a Mitel acquisition. Houston is the
rumor capitol of the free world. If you heard it in Houston it's got to be
so.

Personally I cannot imagine what Nortel might have that would interest
Cisco. Maybe they'd want Nortel's old TDM technology so they could put
together a hybrid (like the Mitel 3300) and thereby offer Nortel's legacy
TDM customer base a less painful migration strategy to get to IP.

Francois Labreque

Ramon F Herrera a écrit :
> Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
> Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
> been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.
>
> Any comments?

That sales rep wants you to buy Nortel products. His February trip to
Cancun relies on it. Since you probably said to him that you had doubts
about buying Nortel because you thought it was headed towards
extinction, he just piped up that "don't worry, It'll be picked up by
Cisco" to make you think that it would still be supported in the long run.

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
flabreque | button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Barry Margolin

"Ramon F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
> Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
> been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.

If there really were an acquisition in the works, I think that everyone
in the know would be required by the SEC to keep silent about it. So
anyone talking about it would either be passing on a rumor or violating
insider information laws.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Ramon,

Huawei Technologies is privately-held with sales of $5.5 billion in
2004 that are expected to top $8 billion in 2005 --- this will leapfrog
Nortel and be on the heels of Cisco in less than 3 years.

Huawei international sales double every 12 months exceeding $2 billion
in 2004.

With 30,000 staff members worldwide, Huawei sales in Europe will triple
in 2005:

http://www.futurewei.com/index.asp

Unfortunately, Nortel's future prospects are not to "robust" compared
to this newcomer.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Authorized Distributors Worldwide
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-distributors.htm

Cisco Guy

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Yesterday in Houston, a Nortel representative said to a customer that a
> Cisco acquisition of Nortel is in the works. He added that Nortel has
> been restructuring itself in anticipation to the acquisition.
>
> Since I am at the Asterisk conference, I presented the above as a
> question to one of the conference speakers, who happens to be very
> knowledgeable about the two companies. His answer? "I have heard that
> claim before but I'll believe it when I see it... Nortel's hardware is
> excellent but its software sucks".
>
> Any comments?
>
> -Ramon F Herrera

Frankly, Cisco's software blows pretty bad too in light of the premium
we have to pay for their gear. I don't think anyone would argue that
Cisco is best of breed in too much of anything - their hardware is slow
compared to just about any vendor they go up against (perhaps the SUP
1440 will help in that area). The big boys (ISP's and carriers) use
Juniper. Their add-on products are even worse. CiscoWorks (or doesn't!)
2000 is an example. CallManager is full of memory leaks and is almost
impossible to keep at Microsoft's recommended patch level. One has to
have a friggin' PhD to understand and follow their IOS trains. The
quality of IOS, in particular, is downright maddening anymore. I have
uncovered at least three bugs in the last two months, and only while
cleaning up some EIGRP routing issues. We run VoIP and the quality and
fragility (is that a word? hehe) of the IOS and it's relation to the
hardware DSP's is nothing short of frustrating. Anyone every try to beat
DSP's, IOS, and VoIP faxing into submission? Can I get a witness here?

Despite my growing frustrating with Cisco, I still purchase their
products and maintain my certification. Why? Well, I guess it's for two
reasons. I get great support from our Cisco partner (SBC), and, Cisco
has one thing that no other vendor has - a "soup to nuts" solution. I
run a little of everything in my network - I've got an ONS15454 optical
platform, 7200's, 1760's, 3700's, BGP, VoIP, PIX, MPLS, and all kinds of
PSTN interfaces/H.323 gateway functionality. There is at least one other
positive about their code - the featureset is indeed rich and support
for diverse and demanding applications via QoS and other traffic control
mechanisms is pretty darned good.

To be fair, I can only imagine what it would be like to try to support
the chassis and module/line card combos in Cisco's portfolio. However, I
still think they REALLY need to work on the quality of their software if
they aren't going to make up for their other performance deficits,
especially when compared to other vendors.

DPGumby

I know both HP and Foundry have partnership deals with Mitel, but other then
that why would they want to buy the company?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...