Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > 'Busy Signals' from other then the called number being busy

'Busy Signals' from other then the called number being busy

Bob Alan

Follow Voiper's

When you get a 'busy signal' from a VOIP call, have any of you checked to
determine if the called number is actually in use?

At first I thought my VOIP provider was working flawless. When I got a
busy signal I just assumed the number I was calling was busy. Then it
started dawning on me that some of these numbers should never be busy. If
they're in use, they trip to voice mail.

Now when I get a busy signal, I try the number using my POTS line. If it
rings and if I'm not in a hurry, I hang up and hit the re-dial on my voip
phone. I'm finding that more then half the busy signals I getting when I
use VOIP go thru when I use POTS

Has anyone done this test and if so what have you found ?

Cheers

Bob

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

" Bob Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> At first I thought my VOIP provider was working flawless. When I got a
> busy signal I just assumed the number I was calling was busy. Then it
> started dawning on me that some of these numbers should never be busy. If
> they're in use, they trip to voice mail.

Sure. It happens, especially when the voip service provider changes
their "security" settings and asterisk no longer can connect. I guess
its a good reason one should check the logs more regularly.

A good test (especially if you have a blackbox that give you no logs)
is to call your pots line once in a while and see if things are still
working.

-wolfgang
Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.